GT3 RS 4.0 #406/600

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jp175
The difference between 3.8 RS and 3.6RS is actually much bigger. The front aero improvements on high speed cornering were significant from the .1 to .2 GT3. I remember driving Teo's base GT3.2 in Daytona and I was immediately flat out everywhere. In comparison, my GT3.1 was pretty unstable which compelled me to feather a bit more. The same goes for T17; Bishop; HMS1....
We are talking RS, 997.1 RS vs. 997.2 RS 3.8 vs. 997.2 RS 4.0.

You had a wannabe GT3 with a sunroof and an ugly rear spoiler. The only way a 997.1 GT3 RS can handle as bad as a 997.1 GT3, is by strapping a rear tire with wheel on the roof of the 2007 GT3 RS (to simulate a sunroof) and remove the carbon wing, and that's about it.

At California Speedway, my 2007 GT3 RS was 10 mph faster through the Nascar T1/T2 bowl at the lowest speed point, compared to my 996 GT3 (another car with low downforce, but thankfully no roof ballast).
Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
hmmmm... I don't think so. On equal tires and setup I bet on the Fiat over the .1 and .2 RS, and maybe even on the 4.0; but I haven't driven a 4.0 so don't know if the 500hp are real or even more as its usual with Porsche.
rad is just baiting the beetles with conservative estimates, for when he goes there next time..
Old 12-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
You guys are horrible on a skid pad, no wonder why the fastest one of the Aero Beetles (Juan) was 10 secs slower at the Sebring Autocross in the rain than the car that took top honor.
we dont have fancy buttons on the steering wheel. You just turn the **** to "wet autocross" and you are all good

I might have a set of A6 all set up.......I will give you the 2012 date....Fiat vs Aero Beetle vs Godzilla

85Gold is coming to watch this event
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
we dont have fancy buttons on the steering wheel. You just turn the **** to "wet autocross" and you are all good

I might have a set of A6 all set up.......I will give you the 2012 date....Fiat vs Aero Beetle vs Godzilla

85Gold is coming to watch this event
Here is the bet. Last place pays for beer and shots, my type of beer and Abshinte shots. 2nd place changes RL avatar to 1st place car for 90 days.

Make it a dry event, as definitely no one of the Aero Beetle boys can drive in the rain, and using my "wet autocross" manettino is not fair.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Randy, you go buy A6's and let me know how it went, I'll show up for the beer and Abshinte.

Autocross is drag racing with corners and cones.
You know, you go stand in the sun all day to look at cones getting run over and do maybe five 20 second "runs" in 2nd gear on a parking lot with a timer?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 PM
jp175
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are horrible on a skid pad, no wonder why the fastest one of the Aero Beetles (Juan) was 10 secs slower at the Sebring Autocross in the rain than the car that took top honor.
Rad - remember you did not complete one clean lap...I did! Plus you had autocross cheater tires - Hoosier A6 versus my Toyo RA1 which is the worst autocross tire available.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jp175
Rad - remember you did not complete one clean lap...I did! Plus you had autocross cheater tires - Hoosier A6 versus my Toyo RA1 which is the worst autocross tire available.
Ok I take my 2 cones penalty, that's 4 secs, you all still lost by 6 secs (10 secs in raw time sounds better), and this was in the rain, A6 are not rain tires, RA1 are.

Anyway, bring the Cuatro punto zero to the Izzone/Rad Challenge, very likely Izzone will use my avatar for 3 months and you will bring us drinks.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM
jp175
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I take my 2 cones penalty, that's 4 secs, you all still lost by 6 secs (10 secs in raw time sounds better), and this was in the rain, A6 are not rain tires, RA1 are.

Anyway, bring the Cuatro punto zero to the Izzone/Rad Challenge, very likely Izzone will use my avatar for 3 months and you will bring us drinks.
RA1 would be better if there were puddles.....there were no puddles at the Autocross. Peter is right you go do your launch control! I already passed Izzone on the outside of Bishops with my .1 GT3 versus his .2GT3 RS.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

already passed Izzone on the outside of Bishops with my .1 GT3 versus his .2GT3 RS.
Yeah, but he got a lot of practice since. He has track insurance, you have a shiney blue 200 grands 4.0. He might get blue mist and put a flat out pass on you in Bishop's bend....

Of course I'm right.
Between you, Randy and Rad, perhaps a small wager is in order?
I'll come watch the final and be booky.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
already passed Izzone on the outside of Bishops with my .1 GT3 versus his .2GT3 RS.
Yeah, but he got a lot of practice since. He has track insurance, you have a shiney blue 200 grands 4.0. He might get blue mist and put a flat out pass on you in Bishop's bend....

Of course I'm right.
Between you, Randy and Rad, perhaps a small wager is in order?
I'll come watch the final and be booky.
My car will see double duty

Ian Stewart will be co driving my aero beetle
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
My car will see double duty

Ian Stewart will be co driving my aero beetle
Bring Ian, and anyone else you consider capable to run against Mr. Cuatro punto cero, and yours truly. Ian and John Thomas are very likely the fastest autocrosses in the entire state of Florida, and among the fastest nationwide.

Date: February or March, depending on our schedules.

This is an airfield used by one Club in Florida (gulfcoastautocrossers.com). One of the best facilities nationwide, grippy concrete, gigantic, no poles, no curbs, the only place where I have autocrossed more than once in Florida, every other place is just a parking lot and I don't like parking lot racing (curbs, poles and nearby structures, 20 secs laps, and 30mph top speed is just boring).

One lap on this airfield usually takes longer than a lap around some racetracks. 1:30 is about average for lap times on their autocrosses. Most cars run in between 2nd and 3rd gear, with speeds of up to 90mph, and turn speeds are very similar to the speeds on slow and medium turns we drive at common racetracks.

I think it is the best place in Florida to practice car control at and beyond the limits, if you mess up, the car just spins but no chances to hit anything. You get about 10 minutes of total driving time, free instructors, and entry fees are ridiculously low: $30, they should charge twice as much.

Another option is when the SCCA runs at PBIR, I ran once with them, and they setup the course starting at T2, and going all the way to the middle of the back straight, long course and fast speeds, but if you mess up, as on any racetrack, you have walls and Armco everywhere.

Your Aero Beetle runs in class SSM, same as my Cayman. My Fiat runs in a slower class: ASP.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Mrsideways
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets make it early feb, late Jan. I've got a little one due mid to late feb that will make feb and march a challenge.

Buckingham is a long haul and really an unfair event site to those that have not been there. While being my favorite event site it is fast with heavy transitions and feature courses most people are not use to driving. My vote... Orange County Convention Center. Big site, semi grippy asphalt, relatively even playing field.
This could be fun!
My other vote would be the National at South George Motorsports Park. It's the same distance for me as Ft. Myres.

My last visit to Ft. Myres.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Orange County Convention Center, no thanks. That's another parking lot with poles everywhere and curbs. I don't have a problem ruining a $5k car if something goes wrong, hitting a pole or curb at speed is serious stuff.

In my few years autocrossing I have seen a good share of cars totalled by hitting curbs and poles at autocrosses on parking lots, not worth the risk. This is way I run at very few sites.

The Fort Myers airfield is free of curbs and free of poles. We can drive FLATOUT. Mr. Cuatro punto Cero and I live in South Florida, so driving distance from Orlando to Fort Myers is about the same for all.

February it is !!!

Cuatro.Cero to bring drinks, Izzone to bring iPad so I can change his Avatar on the spot, and Mr. Sideways to show us all how it gets done.

We'll run the Pro class, and I will invite the local hot shoes with their Vettes, Elises, GT3s. Izzone runs SSM, or get ASP legal. I have seen JP175 driving on an autocross, he might be the one carrying my avatar and Izzone paying for drinks.

Now, I just need to find a high-end bar/restaurant in the Fort Myers/Naples area to have fun after the event is finished.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Mr. quatro punto cero did not have time to install the video camera's and data system yet. He did however have time to get it lowered (A lot) alligned and corner balanced.
Lowered a lot for Sebring?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 455 Posts

Gulf Coast Feb 12 was already on the calendar.

Izzone you are going to run A6's aren't you. You need to change your sway bar drop link lower nuts from self locking to regular nuts plus lock washers so they can be changed easily.

Gulf Coast is OUT. Randy will not pass sound and I doubt Juan would either. Dave Hutter rules.

Forget SCCA rules and PAX this will be a heads up battle with Fastest time winning.

Orange County Convention Center would be the next best option. Rad stop complaining about curbs and light poles, an EXPERT and EXPERIENCED AutoX like you should have no worries. Convention center is also close to a plethora of drinking establishments for afterwards.

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 12-14-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Add content

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0 #406/600