Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2/GT3 owners thoughts on the Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I think the Pana is great technology but the body styling is an issue ... with some of the available body kits and larger wheels it is passible...

The BMW 550i or M5 is probably a better choice, or as people note the AMG E63 ...

I'm half thinking about a E63 wagon for next year, I just cant justify the cost as a "dog transporter", although Euro Delivery and a weekend or so at the Ring is very tempting!

but then I start thinking about the performance package (another $6k) and the LSD etc etc ...

I must confess that if BMW did ED on the X5M for the US... I'd get that ...
Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 201 Posts

Never into Luxo sedans rather get a big truck or suv- more utility. If they could redesign the rear hatch wouldn't be a bad looking car. Mike
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

A phenominal sedan, No doubt a Porsche....Great road vehicle despite the hard to swallow ***. I would own one
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's clear that beyond the subjective ratings ("it's ugly"), very few can argue the quality and driving experience. I happen to love its aesthetic just as much as our 911.

I *heart* this back-end.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,309 Posts

yep even the OEM Turbo S backend with wing is "attractive" ...
Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

As others have noted, I feel that it borders on hideous from the side & rear views; front is not too bad.

I had the 6 cyl. model as a dealer loaner for a few days...apart from the PDK (which I never warmed to), I found that it sits surprisingly low in relation to other "sporty" sedans, and benefited in its handling - felt very composed and somewhat "tossable" despite its bulk. My girlfriend absolutely loved it and wanted to drive it the entire time, which was fine by me, since compared to my '3 it felt so utterly boring. Also, the one I drove had the all-black interior and some of the plastics did not rise up to the common wisdom that it has the "best interior" of any Porsche to date; felt fairly ordinary in that regard.

I would definitely go AMG and/or consider M5 or Audi S/RS instead, if I absolutely had to have a 4-door.

On another somewhat related topic, has anyone read about the new Black Series C63 coupe...beast mode! Now THAT is a car which could make me drive a slushbox.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the best execution of these hatch sedans is the Audi a7. yes, even better than the rapide. the s7 version is going to be killer!
love this abt example and even w/ $20k in extra work still cheaper than a pana.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had one and it was very nice but as said before, still need a couple other cars. I replaced it with a turbo Cayenne. WIth 2 dogs, grandkids and needing to tow the Cayenne is better for us. The Pano was a great car.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Allan A
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All of my car friends can’t stand it, I was the only one who liked it. I would not pay the money they want now, I was hoping it would have the same resale as a Ferrari 456 (another car I like). But after test driving the Ferrari FF at Monterey I think I will keep my fingers crossed the FF will become the next 456.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like it! Have the 6 cal, have taken couple of road trips of 4,000+ mi
It's my economy car...gets 29-30 mpg.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

We really like our Pana 4.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Dealer is extremely kind and puts me in a Pana as a loaner last half dozen service visits. I've posted this elsewhere. Rear view...I mean from inside...is awful. "Hit or miss" in reverse. For around town, the V6 is plenty.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:20 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
It's the only sedan I'd buy and ship it off to Sharkwerks for the full Techart job. I mean the full meal deal.

Hah thanks! The ones we've done mostly here have the Type 1 (more subtle) aero stuff, an exhaust of some sort and a Tune. Bloomin' quick in Turbo form. Shockingly so for how big/heavy they are!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 137 Posts

I, too, have spent a couple days in a Panamera loaner. As ugly as I think it is, I went in with an open mind. Ended up very surprised how much I disliked the driving experience. Didn't like sitting so low in a utilitarian vehicle, didn't like the transmission and gearing - great for 0-60 in magazine tests, I'm sure - but contrary to everything I've read, found PDK in the wrong gear more often than not. Didn't like the motor, either. Powerful enough, but neither sophisticated nor visceral; it did not tempt me to wind it out, as I feel anything with a Porsche badge should. But the worst was the steering, which I assume was the optional Servotronic. Completely lifeless steering wheel in your hands up to 25-30 MPH, which is where I typically am for the duration of a commute. Worse than what I remember from Audis of years past. Add in the fact that it really is not that practical for a 4,000lb car, regardless of whether it is pitched at S-class, etc., and I find it very hard to see the appeal. Yes, I did have a chance to whip it a bit in Mulhollland, and it performed admirably. But it was no sports car. Or M3.

I don't understand the rave reviews of the interior, either. Switch blanks everywhere, headliner material straight out of a Golf, smaller nav screen than lesser BMW models, and the five gauge cluster is pointless other than to try to emulate a real sports car. Overall, it looked appropriate for a $50k car. Granted this was a relatively low-spec model, but it was still $80k+, or about what I paid for my 997.

I'm sure with the right options, and maybe a V8, I would like the car more, but then it would be close to M5 price territory, which to me is much better looking, inside and out. Personally, I will continue to stick to Porsche for sports cars, and source my luxury sedans and SUVs elsewhere.

Quick Reply: GT2/GT3 owners thoughts on the Panamera?