25 hours of Thunderhill 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 25 hours of Thunderhill 2011

For those of you that follow 25 hours of Thunderhill at end of each year, folks from Mercer motorsports did it again three years in a roll with their 2010 Cup car by a whopping 41 laps. There is really no competition. They posted a stunning 1:45 lap time and made everyone else look like they are standing still. Thanks to good weather and heads up driver it was relatively event free ... unlike last year when a Miata hit a tow truck under yellow. Here is a brief summery from NASA:

" Mercer's win gives the team from Los Altos, Calif. their third USAF NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill win in a row, getting the hat-trick. Drivers Johannes van Overbeek, Jon Fogarty, Tommy Sadler, Rich Walton and Wolf Henzler had only one small incident in the 25 hours of running. That was when they had contact with the E1 Class Scion at 4 p.m. on Saturday, resulting in a broken right rear wheel. The Mercer Porsche covered 691 laps, 2,073-miles at an average speed of 101 mph, and, amazingly posted the fastest lap of the race on circuit 641 with a time 1:45.036 on their way to a 41 lap win.

Record braking event (North America): the most cars to start a 24/25 event (83); Thunderhill Raceway Park is the longest track of all the 24/25 races at three-miles; the USAF NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill is the longest race at 25 hours; NASA race records include just five penalties served for body contact; the No. 75 Mercer Porsche completed more laps than any other 25 hour, which included a red flag period - the most laps under green.

A team of high school students from Porterville High School, located south of Fresno, Calif. made it to 9 p.m. last night with their No. 7 BMW. The team is an all student effort that prepared the car, after school, with the payoff being to compete at the USAF NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill race this weekend. The team wore blaze orange hoodies with the words "Kids at the Track Don't Do Crack."

I only stay for 2 hours early morning of the second day to watch the race. After seeing how Mercer's Cup destroy everyone it got kind of boring since there is really no competition. We need couple more 2010 Cup car and ALMS spec Ferrari, Z06 and M3 in the mix next year to spice up the race.

Here are couple photos from the race and video from the insane 2010 race in horrible weather

VIDEO ** Survive the 25 of Thunderhill 2010 **

Mercer GT3 Cup

Very organized Mercer camp

I should set up my brake chage like this!

Mercer's damaged rear rim. This clearly points out the benefit of 3 piece wheel. Change the front lip and you got a usable wheel again

Where is the key to this truck!!

Sunrise

Couple race cars ... out of commision. Some in better shape than other

This factory 8 racer is ...well done

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff Mike, thanks for posting!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 AM
jbigelow
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx for sharing as always Mike.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike, great shots.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I heard there was a $70,000 wager on the table that Mercer wouldn't three-pete. HA!

I watched them do a pit stop (driver change, wheels, and fuel) - it was quick!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
I heard there was a $70,000 wager on the table that Mercer wouldn't three-pete. HA!

I watched them do a pit stop (driver change, wheels, and fuel) - it was quick!
That will only be true if they had ten other 2010 Cup car in the field to compete with. You can't get a better bullet proof endurance race car like a GT3 Cup
Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Man good to see him kick butt like that! I remember when he was still doing road car stuff that we'd set up for the track vs this- the real deal. Way to go!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

hey man no love for my team? we won twice in a row in e1!!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Hehe sorry yes of course man. Rennlister' done good and all of us proud
Old 12-09-2011, 03:46 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

lol

I did look for your team but could not find your trailer for some reason. Congrats on your win bro. Next time post a large GQ picture of yourself outside of your tent so I can find it and I will take plenty of pictures of your racer and team

Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

you couldn't find the 54 foot long stacker trailer that said cj wilson racing on it?

that's racist. you're saying all mazdas look alike! hahaha
Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

you couldn't find the 54 foot long stacker trailer that said cj wilson racing on it?

that's racist. you're saying all mazdas look alike! hahaha
lol

You know I REALLY look hard for your giant trailer and no luck for some reason. Mybe it's too early in the morning. Yes, there are alot of miata out there ... and they all look alike
Old 12-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Kevinlpl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to the Mercer team. Clearly their car and team are the cream of the crop. I ran with Edge Motorsports/Apex Race Parts in an E30 and E36 M3. Both of my 3 hours stints were at night and the Mercer guys never threatened to make contact. They were one car that, despite passing me every 8-10 laps, I never worried about. The condition of their car shows their professionalism as drivers. A real tribute to idea that you can get around cars without driving "through" them.

Cool Pics above thanks for posting those.

Congrats to CJs team as well. His team's win in E1 was well deserved and all his drivers were great to race with. His ES car was in the most competitive of all the classes. I give them credit for giving it a shot. With Mercer in there it will be tough for others to reach the top step.

CJ your rig did look stylin'! I have a feeling you will be racing for many years to come.

If any of you have considered doing the 25, just pull the trigger and do it! Your emotions will get yanked out through your nose a few times and your desire and commitment will be challenged, but when it is over,..... you'll be sayin' lets get back there.

This year the grid filled up and there were many teams on a waiting list who did not get in. So if you want to run sign up early Hope to see you there.

I think CJ your hair looked like the picture above each time I saw you at the track,... minus the girly highlights,.... maybe it's just the lighting.

Kevin Nichols
NASA NorCal Spec E30
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I too had a great time. It was my first 25 with some buddies in a class E3 BMW E30.

Driving at night was crazy... our car was terminal at around 2AM but I still had a great time. Congrats to Mercer (who had my 2011 Cup there as an emergency parts car.. lol!) and to CJ. Great job everyone!

-mike
Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

thanks for the kind words about my team guys. if you want to try out some mazda zoom zoom you know where to find me for next years racing...

Quick Reply: 25 hours of Thunderhill 2011