Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT a little bit: justifying a new 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

ISH I had a 993TT. While it has its place, CERTAINLY an ORDER of Magnitude better than a 993 C4S which is a Turbo wannabe- the 997.2 PDK is just more brilliant in everyway known to man, than my 993 TT.
Its constant oil smell was cute however.

Rad, thats the best idea I have heard and also has been in the back of my mind. I have been so blown away by the PDK, I must admit a TT PDK has been on the top of my LUST Bucket list.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the 997tt. I don't think there is any way a 991S is going to come close to the performance of a 997.2tt with a PDK. For a guy with a lousy lumbar spine, I think you'll enjoy more miles in a 997.2tt than a 991 GT3 anyway. We've had pretty similar taste in cars in the past (We've both owned a C63, 997.1 GT3, and 997.2 C2S PDK). For smile/dollar ratio (esp with a bad back), you won't be able to beat a low mile 997.2TTpdk or TTS in a year or two. It won't give you the new car buzz, but it will crush a 991 C2S. Likely for significantly less money. I've had my TTS for a year and a half (an eternity for me) and have no desire to trade.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Question:
Where are these 2010 GT3s @ 95K? No options?
If your back gets better, then get a 2010 GT3 (not the RS), and the moment is now: $95k average.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

This is my first Porsche Old Guy, and I tried to do my homwork prior to my purchase.
For me I was looking into States where Winter takes over, people wanting to move expensive cars at a desirable price. The way to deal is cash for me, no trade straight buy out. Best chance of getting a good deal.

Getting over 30% off list for a 2 yr old car with 2k is what I ended up with.

Hopefully in 2014/15 I will be after a newer model 2 yrs old with low mileage, possibly extend the warranty so you get a full four years.

I think this is the best bang for the buck.

Neil
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
ISH I had a 993TT. While it has its place, CERTAINLY an ORDER of Magnitude better than a 993 C4S which is a Turbo wannabe- the 997.2 PDK is just more brilliant in everyway known to man, than my 993 TT.
Its constant oil smell was cute however.
It was a joke, maybe you need to let a little air out of that over inflated ego.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want it can afford it and your wife approves than do it. that or don't. hope that helps ;-)
Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

some years ago I found myself in the happy situation of concurrently buying cars from both Porsche and Audi. I decided to have them both done to my exact specification (at some cost). The visits to Weissach, Zuffenhausen, Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm over the next two years led to me learning a great deal and on the way making some good friends and great connections.

It struck me at the time that this would be the way to buy your 'Forever' car. Walking into the factory and seeing what can be done with trim and interiors, what colours really work together, asking the people who know if they can do something that hasn't been done before(warning expensive, my beautiful pale anise superfine leather roof lining was over USD 6,000 (Audi made Porsche look reasonable)), getting away from black, which is a nightmare to live with in the winter on the exterior and not as restful as tan/cognac on the eyes on the interior. You really feel its your car, you also get to go on all sorts of great outings whilst waiting for the dreamboat to be completed (Le Mans, an afternoon driving lap after lap with Walter at the 'Ring, new car launches in lovely places etc, plus everytime you go to a major car show there will be somebody there who greets you with enthusiasm and shows you their latest show car, even asking if you have your car with you so they can show it to a colleague.

This isn't cheap, but you only do it once. Its no good for immediate gratification, you can't sell immediately without killing yourself, you are locked in long term with great memories growing old together - why you might even get to make a Boxster TV commercial (remember the old farts).

And then you could cross to the dark side.....

R+C

Last edited by Nordschleife; 12-05-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I need a mathematician, how do you find out the prime time to buy?
to buy used you get a 3 year old clean post-lease car from an auction. for new - at last day of the month on a model that get out of circulation, or sale, or after new car gets announced.

with porsches right now best old model - GTS - is still very hot, no chance to get a 'great' deal on it, even with new 991 model coming. all 4L GT3 RS are already allocated.
best time to buy was when i got my car - during crysis in 2009 when people had to sell a lot of toys and used car prices went down a lot.

it is difficult to justify any money spent on any toys and non-essential luxury items. it is a waste of money and those p-cars cars are expendables, not an investment. if you feel you have any other priorities to care about - invest into property, 529 plan, IRA - do that. any money spent on this hobby will be just lost. and it is totally worth it.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice last sentence. Gotta know what your getting into for sure !
Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
to buy used you get a 3 year old clean post-lease car from an auction.
How do you do that without a dealer's license?

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: OT a little bit: justifying a new 911