Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

And so the search resumes again.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Rad. I'll talk to you offline.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Bottom line is that there aren't many cars that offer the "package" that the GT3 offers. Refined yet raw, well built, plenty of power, low maintenance (relatively speaking), beautiful and comfortable enough to drive to the track, race and drive home. I'm sure when the seller starting thinking about replacements he came to the same realization.

I'm really curious if the 991 GT3's will retain the same driving characteristics of the 997 or if the 997 ends up being one of the highly desireable Porsche models of the future.

Good luck with your search and hopefully you're Christmast tree will have a shiny large object under it this year!

Last edited by Marine Blue; 12-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Bummer on the deal falling through, Dell. Good luck with your search. As others have said, the right one will come your way
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
sending PM
He doesnt want a fiat......
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^all too funny : ). Mike
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Both white. Others that appear to meet your criteria as well. Do an advanced search. GLWP

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Nizer
Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Bottom line is that there aren't many cars that offer the "package" that the GT3 offers. Refined yet raw, well built, plenty of power, low maintenance (relatively speaking), beauituful and comfortable enough to drive to the track, race and drive home.
after doing exactly that for a while i do not like it as a concept at all. all i can think on a track is what the heck i will do if i wreck it or if anything blows.
street cars should be kept street stock, track cars should be purposly built and towed to and from track to give you a peace of mind.

and looking at 996 cup car prices now - you`ll spend $65-80K on a such car, with 10-20 hours on a motor, then will do $25-35K engine/tranny refresh after appx 100-120 hours of use. but all the rest in that car is already done and needs no improvements. it has cage, fire system, safety, all you may need. plus this way you get yourself a vehicle you can go racing with and be competitive in your class.

if you get bone stock reasonably fresh 997 gt3 car for same $75K you will have put in cage, put in good seats, tweak suspension, all in all it will eat up to $20K anyway and will never run as 996 cup runs anyway. plus most likely it will be a DE car only, and speaking of DEs it does not even metter what car to run them with.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utkinpol
after doing exactly that for a while i do not like it as a concept at all. all i can think on a track is what the heck i will do if i wreck it or if anything blows.
street cars should be kept street stock, track cars should be purposly built and towed to and from track to give you a peace of mind.

and looking at 996 cup car prices now - you`ll spend $65-80K on a such car, with 10-20 hours on a motor, then will do $25-35K engine/tranny refresh after appx 100-120 hours of use. but all the rest in that car is already done and needs no improvements. it has cage, fire system, safety, all you may need. plus this way you get yourself a vehicle you can go racing with and be competitive in your class.

if you get bone stock reasonably fresh 997 gt3 car for same $75K you will have put in cage, put in good seats, tweak suspension, all in all it will eat up to $20K anyway and will never run as 996 cup runs anyway. plus most likely it will be a DE car only, and speaking of DEs it does not even metter what car to run them with.
Absolutely 100% disagree with that take. You can get insurance for the track for your street registered car. It is VERY reasonable.

Further, for those of us going to the track for 3-5 DE's a year it makes ZERO sense to have a purpose built race car to go to a DE. A purpose built race car is for club racing, not DE. A DE is just that, education. I am there to have fun, instruct, and run my car at a speed I am comfortable with. I don't need to win my DE and I surely don't push in places that can be expensive if you get it wrong. The other 95%+ of the year I will enjoy the car on the street.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Absolutely 100% disagree with that take. You can get insurance for the track for your street registered car. It is VERY reasonable.

Further, for those of us going to the track for 3-5 DE's a year it makes ZERO sense to have a purpose built race car to go to a DE. A purpose built race car is for club racing, not DE. A DE is just that, education. I am there to have fun, instruct, and run my car at a speed I am comfortable with. I don't need to win my DE and I surely don't push in places that can be expensive if you get it wrong. The other 95%+ of the year I will enjoy the car on the street.
+1.......I also got the DE to drink beer
Old 12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

My point of view is similar to Dell's. I personally haven't had the time to get on the track but I intend to in the near future. I will stick to low key events since my main purpose for being on the track is to learn and explore my cars capabilities. I don't have the time or money to get involved with club racing or be competitively involved with PCA events. Maybe I will do that when I retire 25 years from now. If I had the $$$ I would have picked up a GT3 with Sport Buckets but with two kids going into private school it made more sense to get the Spyder which IMHO is the next closest Porsche offering to the GT3.

Sorry to take this OT by the way.

Good luck with the search Dell and looking forward to seeing pictures of the beast when you get it.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

so far i had 2 mechanicals on a track days, none of that was much fun. insurance only offers some money afterwards, it does nothing to reduce PITA when you have no one to haul your car back and have to be back with your family same evening and be at work next day. time is way pricier than money...

maybe if i will subdue my participation to 3-5 events per year then may be it will be all fine the way it is, but so far it is not really working and it is what it is. as of street driving - during season car is always on r-comps, it is tuned for track, driving it on a street is a pita as well as i do not want to reconfigure it 3 times a month nor that i want to drive it on street on shaved r-comps.

now for winter i decambered it, replaced sways back with stock ones, so it is not so bumpy now and possible to drive with family members, but when season starts it will all come back other way. PITA.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

mechanicals have nothing to do with the car being street or track. and the mechanical issues I see at DE's are far outnumbered to the purpose built race car crowd.

this is a reason I have always trailered my street car to DE's. I could drive it there very easily but I like having a backup set of wheels and tires and my family can all ride in the SUV and pile all the track crap in the trailer.

CAN WE PLEASE KEEP THE THREAD ON TOPIC. THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ABOUT STREET OR TRACK CARS.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The perfect scenario would be a 10' GT3 for $85k with no stories...but that doesn't exist yet.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You ain't kidding Rog! I searched for that RS or 3.8 in the 80's and they don't exist. 90's is where they start and my budget was allowed to max at 80K. Plus I still will need to buy some goodies for the car :eviglrin:

Quick Reply: And so the search resumes again.........