Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New rear spring setup - Tarrett

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts
Default New rear spring setup - Tarrett

Just wanted to post some quick feedback regarding the new rear spring setup using Tarrett's new rear spring hat for 60mm ID linear race springs.

I installed Swift's 8" rear spring, and 2.75" helper, at rates of 672# and 45# respectively. First, the fit and finish of this product is fantastic, and now allows quick spring rate changes to suit preference. I have to say, this rate is perfectly fine for street driving (though I don't do much at all), but for those wondering, with the shocks on normal mode, it's virtually the same as stock, just a tad bit firmer on initial bump. Whatever rates/lengths you go with, you need to make sure to have about 10" of total free length.

For those who don't want to drop 6K on some Motons or JRZ's, this is the way to go. The stock shocks with some slightly higher rates are great on track, and you don't need to revalve the shocks for anything up to 400# front, 750# rear, which are great rates for R-comps.

For the track, even if you don't want to increase your rear spring rate, you can stick with stock linear rates, Swift has 616# rate (for MK1) and 672# rate for (MK2). The transitions are alot more consistent, and I find that the initial weight transfer isn't so jerky, since the linear spring's full rate is available immediately, unlike the stock spring. I also prefer using the "sport" setting for the dampers also, which seem to control the higher front and rear spring rates better on track.

The reason I chose to stick with something similar to the MK2 rear rate is because it allows the car to be good on bumpy tracks, and then I can always stiffen up the rear bar (GMG) for smoother tracks. I think this setup allows more flexibility with easier track-side tuning for varying tracks/conditions and tire grip.

This car is freakin ridiculous.....throw some decent springs and bars on it, align it, rebuild the LSD, and then go scare the crap out of yourself.

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...rsk-detail.htm
Old 11-26-2011, 10:41 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have used a better camera and given the girl a wash if I knew my suspension was going to live on in pictures
Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, you're famous! I take it you didn't give permission. I have definitely decided to follow your lead and will shoot for 700-900, together with rubber removal from the control arms and links.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also wanted to add, and I did mention this somewhere in my long thread on the subject, somewhere between 2007-2008 cars, the REAR shocks changed from having the entire shock body threaded (the 07s) to having only the lower quarter of the shock body threaded (some if not all 08s). If you have the 'older' style (you are lucky) as you can used much shorter rear main springs (likely 5" mains with Helpers or Tenders).

Quick Reply: New rear spring setup - Tarrett