Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need help removing luggage compartment trim piece

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:41 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need help removing luggage compartment trim piece

I found a small amount of brake fluid under the emergency air compressor in my gen 2 GT3. I'd like to remove the trim around the brake fluid reservoir and master cylinder to see what's going on.

I took out 8 T10 screws but the tab thingy at the red arrow is still holding it in. Can somebody tell me how to get it off?

Last edited by paver; 04-02-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 PM
YseanY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i remember correctly, it just takes some elbow grease pushing it to the left and it'll unclip.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

If you track your car (and maybe if you don't, just drive on rough roads...) you will often "spit" brake fluid out of the breather hole on the reservoir. You may have a nice puddle of brake fluid at the bottom of your frunk (I did), slowly dissolving the paint.

I took a hint from what I saw the cup guys do (super high-tech): Get a cotton wrist-sweat-band. Put it on the lid to the resrvoir with a rubber band. When it gets saturated, throw it away and put another one on...
Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YseanY
if i remember correctly, it just takes some elbow grease pushing it to the left and it'll unclip.
YseanY, you were right about the elbow grease...to the right unclips it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by facelvega
If you track your car (and maybe if you don't, just drive on rough roads...) you will often "spit" brake fluid out of the breather hole on the reservoir. You may have a nice puddle of brake fluid at the bottom of your frunk (I did), slowly dissolving the paint.

I took a hint from what I saw the cup guys do (super high-tech): Get a cotton wrist-sweat-band. Put it on the lid to the resrvoir with a rubber band. When it gets saturated, throw it away and put another one on...
facevelga, the puddle in the bottom of the frunk was definitely there. Where is the breather hole?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

push in, & turn the clip
Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Rubber band with a red rag will prevent it from leaking everywhere. There's always a little bit of seepage on a trackday. Mike
Old 11-24-2011, 12:43 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

The fluid comes out of the lid on the brake reservoir. I thought there was a vent on it, but I cannot find one. I guess it must leak around the edge seal?

Frunk top view with wristband on reservoir:

Reservoir top view:

I just know that with nothing on the reservoir lid, I have a brake fluid puddle after every run session. Put the wristband on the lid - no puddle. You can see that the reservoir is INSIDE the sealed trunk area. If your mechanic misses the reservoir while refilling, all the fluid goes to the bottom of the trunk, no drain holes, so it stays there. There are drain holes around the battery and the outer perimiter of the trunk, but inside it is sealed, so all brake fluid stays inside (pooling on the paint).

I have the frunk empty (as seen in the picture) so I can see immediately if I am losing fluids. I was freaking out, thinking I had brake problems, until one of my coaches (cup driver) told me it was just a reservoir leak, that all the cars have it (when driven hard) and how to deal with it. Since then, always dry as a bone....
Old 11-24-2011, 12:56 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:03 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Is that a... RUBBER???

The fluid comes out of the lid on the brake reservoir. I thought there was a vent on it, but I cannot find one. I guess it must leak around the edge seal?

Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
Is that a... RUBBER???

I take safety very seriously, and always use protection!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Reservoir top view:

I just know that with nothing on the reservoir lid, I have a brake fluid puddle after every run session. Put the wristband on the lid - no puddle. You can see that the reservoir is INSIDE the sealed trunk area. If your mechanic misses the reservoir while refilling, all the fluid goes to the bottom of the trunk, no drain holes, so it stays there. There are drain holes around the battery and the outer perimiter of the trunk, but inside it is sealed, so all brake fluid stays inside (pooling on the paint).

I have the frunk empty (as seen in the picture) so I can see immediately if I am losing fluids. I was freaking out, thinking I had brake problems, until one of my coaches (cup driver) told me it was just a reservoir leak, that all the cars have it (when driven hard) and how to deal with it. Since then, always dry as a bone....
Question- what are the two boxes on the left side of pic(full trunk)? Regards. Mike
Old 11-24-2011, 01:28 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Question- what are the two boxes on the left side of pic(full trunk)? Regards. Mike
Starting from the brake fluid reservoir, moving left:

Center Black cover for fuel tank stuff (pumps, etc).

Left Big black box - carbon cannister to allow fuel tank to breathe without polluting.

Small black box on left wall: front trunk electrical control unit (controls lights, locks, turn signals).

Below that, silver box - it is the amplifier for the stereo.

Last edited by facelvega; 11-25-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: found out more....
Old 11-24-2011, 03:04 PM
bandsmalter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove clip ---->

To remove this clip slide to the right as you face the clip. DO NOT twist it!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bandsmalter
To remove this clip slide to the right as you face the clip. DO NOT twist it!
^^Confirmed^^. No twist, just push RIGHT as you are facing the part. Also checked the part number on the silver box - it is in fact the stereo amp....

Quick Reply: Need help removing luggage compartment trim piece