Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Jack point jackstands and Rennline tie down/jack plate - who is using this combo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Jack point jackstands and Rennline tie down/jack plate - who is using this combo?

I love my jackstands and Rennline front tie downs, but every time I jack the car I am taking off the front Rennline tie down plates to accomodate the jack plate. This is turning out to be a PITA cause I have to unscrew a portion of the plastic under tray as well to remove them.

Any body using this combo have a better solution???
Old 11-23-2011, 02:48 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jacked my C2S in the rear most of the time and took the entire side of the car up at once. If I just needed to work on the front, I would put the jack right under the tie down
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Did you ever use the jackstand/jackplate under the front tie down?

My issue is that I work on the car here and there - don't usually have time to get everything done in one session. So, I'll put it on the stands and sometimes leave it there for a week, and so I want it to be super solid on all 4 corners.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:07 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

No, I haven't put Jack stands there. I can see your concern with them in that capacity.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:13 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Just curious, are you concerned about not having the a good place to put the jack stands, or are you concerned with damaging the tie downs?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:23 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Just curious, are you concerned about not having the a good place to put the jack stands, or are you concerned with damaging the tie downs?
More concerned about a good place for the stand/plate. The tie down plate has a large bolt sticking down, as well as the hook for the tie down strap, both of which create an uneven and potentially unstable surface.

Maybe it would work just fine - I have never actually tried it. Again, if it were just for an hour or so I wouldn't stress too much, but it makes me nervous leaving it like that for days.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:50 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

I can't recall where I put my jack stands when I put them up front. I would imagine somewhere in a little deeper where the suspension meets the frame.

I will look when I get my GT3 (in the next day or two).
Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

I've been using this combo, without issue. I'm not taking my tie down's off. I lift the car at the rear jack point. The car will be high enough to slide the front jack point stand under the front. I then lower the car, just making sure the bolt is in the center of the jack point plate (minus the pin). Then repeat for the other side.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:52 PM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Drill a hole in two of the caps that will clear the bolt head. I ordered mine with the hole drilled and it works fine.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:36 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Awesome - thx.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
I've been using this combo, without issue. I'm not taking my tie down's off. I lift the car at the rear jack point. The car will be high enough to slide the front jack point stand under the front. I then lower the car, just making sure the bolt is in the center of the jack point plate (minus the pin). Then repeat for the other side.
Same here.

If the car is solid for an hour, it'll be solid for a week, a month, or a year.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:55 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by mojom3
Drill a hole in two of the caps that will clear the bolt head. I ordered mine with the hole drilled and it works fine.
I don't always know owners by RL screen names, but I believe Mojom3 had two pads drilled with 1" diameter holes instead of 5/8". That can be done if you already have the pads in hand or before shipping if you're sure you need the larger hole.

Last edited by jpoint; 11-28-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Jack point jackstands and Rennline tie down/jack plate - who is using this combo?