Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Driving talent and a lesson in humility

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Driving talent and a lesson in humility

So, most of us think we are fairly good drivers. I was at a private track day organized by one of my friends (Eagles Canyon Raceway), in my Ruf RGT. You can drive as much as you want because the track is green except during lunch.

I was driving my car at a fairly rapid clip when I see an Aston Martin DB9 slowly gaining on me. Now, the guy who normally drives this DB9 is not a very good driver, and I am beginning to wonder if I have completely lost it. I start pushing harder, and he is still gaining on me. But, suddenly the DB9 slows down, and all is well, including my ego

Once I came into the pits, I found out that the guy who was driving the DB9 was not its regular driver, but Pablo Sanchez Lopez, and he had cooked the DB9's brakes. Who is he? Here is his information. He was a Formula 1 Test Driver for Ferrari in 2009, at the age of 19.

http://www.driverdb.com/drivers/pabl...-lopez/career/
Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Humility takes many forms :-)

I had a very similar experience at porsche sport driving school masters class. A guy passed me in the wet like I was standing still. Completely out of sight in 2 turns. I found out later he was a factory test driver...I guess I'm not exactly senna in the wet

I still hold the course record for my driveway though
Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brendo
Humility takes many forms :-)

I had a very similar experience at porsche sport driving school masters class. A guy passed me in the wet like I was standing still. Completely out of sight in 2 turns. I found out later he was a factory test driver...I guess I'm not exactly senna in the wet

I still hold the course record for my driveway though
We need a PT day on your driveway. Make sure the nanny is there!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
A430v
Racer

Great story. Many of the factory drivers are "pro" level (could have gone much further), but the ones I talked to at Leipzig told me that often, it's just not talent, but sponsorship that gets you into the sport and for many, they just didn't have the funds to make it. Even the factory drivers started racing at the age of 8-11. Us amateurs just can't compete. :-P
Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is always someone faster.. usually in a slower car.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:43 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by A430v
Great story. Many of the factory drivers are "pro" level (could have gone much further), but the ones I talked to at Leipzig told me that often, it's just not talent, but sponsorship that gets you into the sport and for many, they just didn't have the funds to make it. Even the factory drivers started racing at the age of 8-11. Us amateurs just can't compete. :-P
He said you have to bring sponsors to the tune of 3 Million Euros, or, you can write a check
Old 11-06-2011, 04:25 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

I was at The Glen some years ago and it started sprinkling, the track was very slick so I slowed my GT3 to about 70% which is probably 60% for a skilled driver. This brand new Turbo passes me going in to the final turn entering the front straight. The car is in full opposite lock until he hits the far curbing which is about 18" from the wall and he catapults down the front straight.

I come back in to the pits and ask who was driving the brand new blue turbo. Some guy with a camera responds........Hurley Haywood, we are taking pictures for the North American media
launch of the 997 turbo.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:34 PM
GuyR
Racer

A friend of mine who has raced lots at the 'ring took me and two others round in a small diesel SUV. We passed a surprising range of theoretically far quicker cars
Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A430v
spot on on sponsorship, you pay for the seat....
Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my dose of humility when Patrick Long was driving my car here on of my local roads last year in the rain! He looked over at me and asked "do you drive this fast on theses roads". My only reply was "not in the rain"!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Wow. BTW, I like that track.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luv2race
I was at The Glen some years ago and it started sprinkling, the track was very slick so I slowed my GT3 to about 70% which is probably 60% for a skilled driver. This brand new Turbo passes me going in to the final turn entering the front straight. The car is in full opposite lock until he hits the far curbing which is about 18" from the wall and he catapults down the front straight.

I come back in to the pits and ask who was driving the brand new blue turbo. Some guy with a camera responds........Hurley Haywood, we are taking pictures for the North American media
launch of the 997 turbo.
I wonder if the pros like Haywood are saying under their breath the same thing we are saying at times like that... "Don't hit the wall please don't hit the wall **** don't hit the wall come on front wheels catch please catch whew that was close turn one coming up..."
Old 11-07-2011, 01:43 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I wonder if the pros like Haywood are saying under their breath the same thing we are saying at times like that... "Don't hit the wall please don't hit the wall **** don't hit the wall come on front wheels catch please catch whew that was close turn one coming up..."
Lol... You weren't reading my mind on what our reaction is, were you???
Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

everything happens too quick to even think those thoughts.
only when you've lost control of the car does everything slow down, and these thoughts present themselves in full hd clarity.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

I know what my thoughts were......in succession..... Holy **** man don't hit that wall and then that guy is crazy which quickly transitioned to that guy is crazy good. Then sadness came over me as I realized I was half a man with no driving skill. Lol

Quick Reply: Driving talent and a lesson in humility