TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

There you go Mike, get a CUP car!! Cause Cup's are for girls
Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I still don't understand how the car is going to know just how much it should blip with just cabling. Sometimes you need to rev the **** out of it, sometimes it's just a small blip. It's quite and art to get it right each time and have it match perfectly. I've only been in the car with one person that does it as well as a computer could do it. Everybody just stabs the throttle with their heel and gets it in the ball park. Much like myself.

Is that essentially what this system does? Just stab the throttle a fixed amount and hopefully put it close enough to match the revs? Without a computer monitoring your speed and sensing how much throttle should be applied to the "blip", I don't see how this could work nearly as well as the nissan. I've seen videos of the nissan and it works amazingly well.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Keep us updated on the function and actual use -
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I still don't understand how the car is going to know just how much it should blip with just cabling. Sometimes you need to rev the **** out of it, sometimes it's just a small blip. It's quite and art to get it right each time and have it match perfectly. I've only been in the car with one person that does it as well as a computer could do it. Everybody just stabs the throttle with their heel and gets it in the ball park. Much like myself.

Is that essentially what this system does? Just stab the throttle a fixed amount and hopefully put it close enough to match the revs? Without a computer monitoring your speed and sensing how much throttle should be applied to the "blip", I don't see how this could work nearly as well as the nissan. I've seen videos of the nissan and it works amazingly well.
It's not a perfect system and as you can see it will blip the throttle when you try to get into neutral and reverse on the Cup sequential which will grind the **** out of the gears unless you shut off the engine. According to the instruction I am suppose to set the throttle blip to about 35% to 41% according to the Motec dash read out. You can never not blip the throttle enough in a cup when you down shift. RPM drop so fast due to light flywheel you really have to get it just right to make it work.

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Interesting. Keep us updated on the function and actual use -
Yes, more feedback next month when I get a chance to try it out at Thunderhill
Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Ipe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I raced last month with a Cup car that have this auto blip and it works great. It is as said totally mechanical but it does a fine job matching the revs when downshifting. I imagine is just a matter of fiding the correct amount of % of throttle of the blip. The downside is, as mikymu said also, is that i blips also when reversing and into neutral.

Ipe
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Ipe
Instructor

Here a video of a onboard cam with an auto-blip Cup car.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that is cool... Is a retrofit available for a 996 Cup?

This might be the best investment period to extend the life of the tranny and engine in a cup... I am leaning towards getting a 996 or 997 cup as my DE car, and this would lower my TCO...

Thanks for the post. Let us know your thoughts as you use it...

-B
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I dont think that blipper works for h pattern trannies that are on 6 cups(but that be nice). And Mikymu.................CHEATER!!!!! : ). Mike
Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its almost like cheating.

Although the downshifts earlier in the video sounded quite rough, is that normal?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Ipe
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmardini
Its almost like cheating.

Although the downshifts earlier in the video sounded quite rough, is that normal?
Not really cheating as all the cars in Brazil Porsche Cup uses it.

The rogh dowshifts are manly my fault when it occurs as I'm supposed to shift as fast as possible and not hesitate during it. It was my frst race weekend with a Cup car, actually was the first time I drove one.

It maybe does not look like a race but it is. This is because I was in first for the whole race and this video is just the first half of the race.

Cheers,
Ipe
Old 10-21-2011, 11:47 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I dont think that blipper works for h pattern trannies that are on 6 cups(but that be nice). And Mikymu.................CHEATER!!!!! : ). Mike
I will take a PDK in a Cup if they make one. I need all the help to drive the beast well

Originally Posted by Ipe
Not really cheating as all the cars in Brazil Porsche Cup uses it.

The rogh dowshifts are manly my fault when it occurs as I'm supposed to shift as fast as possible and not hesitate during it. It was my frst race weekend with a Cup car, actually was the first time I drove one.

It maybe does not look like a race but it is. This is because I was in first for the whole race and this video is just the first half of the race.

Cheers,
Ipe
WOW ... I can't imagine wearing a full race suit in 90% humidity. Looks like fun and ahead of the pack first time out too. Good job. Yes, the downshift was kind of rough at first but you will get use to it with more seat time
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM
ac27
Advanced

Im interested to hear how you like it. It seems very interesting.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ac27
Im interested to hear how you like it. It seems very interesting.
Detail DIY install and on track feedback in couple weeks

Last edited by mikymu; 10-24-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Mikymu- do u install it on your leg much like training wheels on a bike so after awhile u learn to heel/toe with out it : ). Mike
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Mikymu- do u install it on your leg much like training wheels on a bike so after awhile u learn to heel/toe with out it : ). Mike
lol

Just call me optimus-prime

Quick Reply: Cup auto blipper