Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is the GT3 too loud.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Let's write to Obama and get paving; I figure every road, highway and interstate is shovel ready:

http://www.ballastnedam.nl/page_3255.asp
Asphalt

A great many requirements are placed on a road surface. It must be sufficiently rough, have good drainage and preferably have a long life. Ridging, fraying, rutting and loss of aggregate from the surface must be delayed for as long as possible. Additionally, noise reduction is becoming more and more important; roads have to be quiet. The tyre noise created between the tyre and the road surface is a major source of noise nuisance.
Of all of the materials that can be used for making roads, asphalt provides the greatest drive comfort. Unlike clinkers, it has an even surface. And whereas concrete slabs expand and shrink constantly under the effects of the weather and climate and thus require flexible joints – drivers are familiar with the ‘kedengkedeng’ – asphalt is a visco-elastic material: it never becomes hard and can be laid without joints.

Asphalt mixtures consist of an aggregate, fillers and additives and a binding agent (bitumen). There are roughly three distinct layers. The base layer is an aggregate mixture that serves to absorb the load on the road. The intermediate layer is composed of road-metal asphalt [steenslagasfaltbeton (STAB)] or open asphalt [open asfaltbeton (OAB)]. Surface layers can consist of non-porous asphalt [dicht asfaltbeton (DAB)], stone mastic asphalt [steenmastiekasfaltbeton (SMA)] or the well known very open asphalt [zeer open asfaltbeton (ZOAB)]. The layer thickness varies depending on circumstances and the road loading. A bitumen bonding layer is applied between the layers in order to guarantee the bond.

Due to its open structure, ZOAB is very quiet thanks to its ability to absorb tyre noise. It also has excellent drainage properties so that drivers do not have any problems with water splashes and spray. However, there are disadvantages associated with the open structure. The pores become blocked as a result of which the acoustic properties reduce. Regular cleaning is therefore necessary.

Or buy Generals.....
Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I autox my 10 GT3.

I love my GT3.

But, a 45 minute highway drive to get someplace and a 45 minute drive back.....well IMHO the GT3 is too loud. The thing sounds amazing though.

I do have other cars to drive, and in like 18 months I have almost 3900 miles on her.

------------------------------------------
Is the 10 GT3RS louder than my GT3 ?

If it is I would need earplugs for the RS, may even get them in the GT3 when the noise gets bothersome in the future.
The 2010 GT3 RS is louder. It doesn't have the insulation material you have below the rear window, and the shorter R&P make it rev higher at highway speeds.

If you want a car quieter and faster than your 2010 GT3, place your order for a 991 Carrera S and trade-in the GT3 in 4 months. Be sure to get the 991 S with the active rollbar suspension, PDK (long 7th gear), sport PASM, so you can enjoy a quiet ride.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The 2010 GT3 RS is louder. It doesn't have the insulation material you have below the rear window, and the shorter R&P make it rev higher at highway speeds.

If you want a car quieter and faster than your 2010 GT3, place your order for a 991 Carrera S and trade-in the GT3 in 4 months. Be sure to get the 991 S with the active rollbar suspension, PDK (long 7th gear), sport PASM, so you can enjoy a quiet ride.
New 991 has the same gear box whether it's PDK or manual. The new manual is a 7 speed too.. Sports PASM normally lowers the car 10mm vs regular PASM. I'd just wear ear plugs
Old 10-18-2011, 12:11 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
NO! Pretty good unplugged stock, perfection with a Sharky bypass.
+1

I just drove about 500 miles yesterday with the local Porsche club down to Leavenworth. I loved the sound - especially through the tunnels!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

We don't have tunnels, but we do have underspasses.

Lower windows, down shift, floor it, hope no cops are nearby.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 10-18-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 too loud.........