Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

700 mile babied 997.2 RS sometimes puffs smoke upon start up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Anyone know the reason for the smoke. It's so random, time between starts seems to have nothing to do with a puff of smoke coming out or not on startup.
Hey Joe, a couple theories have been floated here in the past... The one that seems to explain it best is that your cylinders sit horizontally so on shut down some oil makes its way to the bottom of the cylinder (lowest point) and sometimes past the piston rings... On start up, wateva is on the combustion side comes out as smoke... It has been suggesting that letting it idle for a minute before shutdown gets rid of access oil accumulation in the cylinders which may seap past rings...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:31 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 ZED
I'd also like to know what is the cause of the noise Nugget describes so eloquently in his 3rd bullet. I hear this same noise coming from the rear often on start-up after the car has been unused for several days and it is scary. It sounds like something is self-destructing back there.
Originally Posted by 930Peter
Hello
Regarding startup smoke I have noticed that it will not smoke if I idle the car for 2 minutes before shut down. I also do believe that 5W40 oil instead of 0W40 will decrease the puff-smoking. Both oils are approved by Porsche so nothing to worry about.

Regarding the clonk noise 2 sec after starting which to me sounds like clonk+grrrrrr (clonk + grinding noise) will disappear if the clutch is depressed longer than 2-5 sec. I was convinced the noise came from the AC compressor clutch as it engages 1-2 sec after start-up but that was not the case. The noise must therefore come from the clutch/gearbox area but I cannot understand what the reason is. Dealer tells me it is the clutch and it is normal (car is a RS 2008 with only 4500km only). What could cause this noise in a clutch ?
wbr/Peter
Grinding sound actually seems to come from the engine and most likely the hydraulic tappets/lifters. If the car has been sitting for some time, they must depressurize and go noisy until the oil circulates to them... Lay man's explanation, someone with more technical knowledge may chime in...
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM
930Peter
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean with hydraulic tappet noise but this is not what I am refering to. I had that on my 996 GT3 and that was solved by changing to 5W40 oil. The clonk-grrrr sound I am refering to is definately coming from clutch/gearbox as it is not heard if I keep the clutch depressed 5 seconds. This happens only if the car is parked more than 24 hrs.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My .2 RS smokes on every start after sitting overnight, and sometimes after restarting after sitting less than an hour. My .1 RS and my 6 GT3 never smoked except after sitting for weeks. I'm keeping an eye on the .2 RS and already filed a warranty claim. While not uncommon, not sure it's a good thing.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:41 PM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll typically let the car sit at idle for 1minute before shutting it down....... that seems to make a big difference in any puffs on your next start. (Typically worse if hitting a hill or steep driveway, or just after an AutoX session and hard corners....... but let it idle for at least a minute and see what happens)
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
chardonet
Racer

That grinding noise is from the chain tensioner. A lot of discussion was had here when the 997.1 was released 4 years ago. Letting it sit idle for a minute or two before shutting down does not seem to correlate to how the tensioner responds the next time you start the engine. That is my experience.

Letting the engine idle for a minute seems to cut down on the smoke upon next start-up.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 AM
OroborusGT3
Intermediate

Engine smoke at start up is common on this type of motors, my Testarossa was the same and some of my 3.2 Carreras did it from time to time.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 AM
930Peter
8th Gear

Originally Posted by chardonet
That grinding noise is from the chain tensioner. A lot of discussion was had here when the 997.1 was released 4 years ago. Letting it sit idle for a minute or two before shutting down does not seem to correlate to how the tensioner responds the next time you start the engine. That is my experience.

Letting the engine idle for a minute seems to cut down on the smoke upon next start-up.
I do not agree with your statement about the chain tensioner. The noise I have is never heard if the clutch is kept fully depressed for 5 sec after start so it must come from the clutch/gearbox area.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 AM
OroborusGT3
Intermediate

The noise I hear at times is right away when the motor starts, I don't even have my hand away from the key while starting that it happens and is very loud indeed.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Chiming in late. I get all of the above, but am surprised more discussion isn't found on the strut tower noise, which correlates to cold weather. It's just starting to come back in the 40-50 degree weather, like someone said. Dealer had no idea what it was. Loud BANG goinb over even smaller potholes, sometimes.

I get the oil smoke thing, but have to say it smells more metalic than my old 3.2. Then, I was convinced it was just smoke.

Quick Reply: 700 mile babied 997.2 RS sometimes puffs smoke upon start up?