Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The next best car to a GT3? Cayman R or 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 BAT
Imagine a Cayman R with one of these Turbo Kits + tuned suspension / good track compound!
http://www.tpcracing.net/products/TP...n-S-Turbo-Kit/

This would be quite a P car!
That would overheat/break down on the racetrack....
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

For me, it would be the Cayman. I don't like AWD or FI engines, but for Toronto it's another thing...

Carrera 4 GTS may be the solution
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Turbo, maybe the greatest all-rounder.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thought....perhaps I add a wheel axle lift system to the GT3, remove the front splitter and drive it all year round! Including the snow!
I think the opposite. Lower it on the coilovers, reinforce the splitter, then use it as a snowplow to help out your neighbors until you've made a bit of extra money, then pick up a Subaru WRX and put the GT3 back to summer specs.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 374 Posts

Imagine a Cayman R with one of these Turbo Kits + tuned suspension / good track compound!
http://www.tpcracing.net/products/TP...n-S-Turbo-Kit/

This would be quite a P car!

Another thought....perhaps I add a wheel axle lift system to the GT3, remove the front splitter and drive it all year round! Including the snow!
I seriously thought about going this route with my 2009 Cayman S prior to buying the GT3. In the end, you'd get to be the guinea pig and at the same time destroy whatever minimal resale value would be left when you're done with it. My CS was already heat challenged on short tracks in the CA summer. Imagine force feeding it and adding more heat. No thanks. The GT3 is the greatest car I have ever owned and I have dreams of putting 100K miles on it still

Drive a bunch of the contenders and decide what's right for you.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

howabout the audi ttrs? i believe it will be $60k in the u.s.? bargain at that price?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Is a second car an option? Anytime you have to DO EVERYTHING with one car you are compromising on all fronts. I have a Subaru Legacy wagon for snow duty and a GMC Terrain for the daily grind.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:12 AM
RS 987
Rennlist Member

In response to my original post, I appreciate all the great responses! Especially the one about turning the GT3 into a snowplow!

Just to clarify, I don't 'really' need to get rid of my GT3, but love the Turbo, Cayman R, GTS, and all other Porsches (but haven't had the opportunity to drive them, own them or appreciate their qualities....For a moment, I wondered what else I would be happy with other than my GT3!)

I think a 911 Turbo is a fare compromise to a GT3 and in some cases better for daily use, but I think I'll be keeping my GT3 for a long time!

Its the only car that I want to drive without needing to drive!
I'll be buying a Mini or Fiat 500 for snow season!

Here are 2 great vids I found. Enjoy!

Walter Rohrl - 911 Turbo vs. GT3

Walter Rohrl - GT3 around Nurburgring!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 AM
jimmyn
3rd Gear

Track Test / Cayman R vs. Spyder. This is the second review I have seen comparing these two cars on the track. Much to my surprise (kinda), the spyder is raved about as far as track performance.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM
jimmyn
3rd Gear

ooop's...forgot to post the link for above comment!!!

Video Comparison

Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
That would overheat/break down on the racetrack....

Not true. I had a student with a protoype turbo Cayman S a few weeks ago. Although I can say who the manufacturer is...

Anyway, it was awesome. It was making 450 to the wheels on low boost. Absolute blast to drive and we hammered it all day. Not a glitch from the engine/tranny. Needed bigger brakes and stickier tires, but beyond that it was fantastic.

I also tracked the hell out of an EVO supercharged 996 for a while. Ran great. No problems.

A boosted cayman with the proper brake/wheel/tire setup would be a blast!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone I know running a modified turbo-charged car ends up with reliability and/or overheating issues sooner or later when regularly using the car on the racetrack.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone I know running a modified turbo-charged car ends up with reliability and/or overheating issues sooner or later when regularly using the car on the racetrack.
Sounds like everyone you know either went with a ****ty kit, had a bad install, or doesn't maintain their vehicles. Or possibly a combo

I ran that supercharged 996 for two years on the track with ZERO problems. It made 435 to the wheels. Not even a hint of heat issues. I changed the plugs regularly, oil obviously, put a new MAF in right after the install, and that was it. Car ran like a stock unit, except with way more power. I did have to install bigger brakes though as the stock units were not up to the task on the track. I wouldn't be afraid of a forced induction kit from a reputable company if you had a good local mechanic for the install.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I certainly echo this sentiment. There are a few threads on another board about horror stories involving aftermarket Cayman turbo kits. The expense and time involved in installing, troubleshooting, and maintaining a kit like that is better allotted toward trading in toward a 911 Turbo or GT3. Add resale value to the equation, and a stockish Turbo or GT3 becomes an even more attractive option.

Although I'd really enjoying pounding a turbo Cayman with proper suspension and brakes around a track for a few sessions, I'd rather live with a stock 997TT.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I was just wondering.....if you had to give up your GT3, and the GT2 was not an option, what would you choose?

It has to be a car that can be driven year round, including the snow season and one that will be stellar on the track!

Cayman R or 911 Turbo?
Any other non-Porsche vehicle? Like a Corvette ZR1, or BMW M3?
GTS car. Any 911 with 9A1 motor will do.

Quick Reply: The next best car to a GT3? Cayman R or 911 Turbo?