Thunderhill adventure with BR track support

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Thunderhill adventure with BR track support

Wow, how do I begin? Well, I had a bad shock and cooked rotors so I decided to get a set of sachs two ways shocks and endless pads to improve handling and better brake modulation compare with PFC pads. I also decided to try out BR racing's track support since they did a great job at recent Laguna Seca event and I want a piece of the pie.

Lar aka 24chromium came up and sweat it out in my man cave and put on new brakes, Akrapovic sports exhaust config and I stay up all night till 2 PM next day and got the sachs two ways shocks installed. It was pretty hot in the garage even at night ...

Wife and I were glad when I finally clean up the mess

After getting couple hours of sleep I headed to Thunderhill and boy, am I glad to see the crews from BR. I unload my Cup (they were **** that I kept on wanting to do work lol) and sit back and rested my sore bones.

The weather at Thunderhill was ... strange. It rain like cats and dogs in the morning with puddles on the track till almost noon. We send Lar out on the track as a scout (in slicks) and once he came back unscathed all the race prepped cars join the party

The track was not optimal and my sachs two ways was banana boat soft out of the box which took major adjustment to tighten things up. Endless pads were just flat out amazing! It brakes 50% better than PFC 01 with fantastic modulation. Folks from BR did a fantastic job in dialing in my shock and I was able to communicate with Rico and Robb about what the car is doing and make adjustment accordingly. OK, I will let the photos and video tell the rest of the story. Big thanks to Jussi for the quick hands with his camera

Nice shot of BR's Cup car with Robb at T14 ... we will see Robb again ... soon

HELLO! LOL

Lar, wait for me ...

Miss the wall ... a good thing

Where is Robb?

There he is

Robb ... you are going the wrong way

OK, time to turn around and get more practice with the endless pads

Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes! From the pictures it looks like no big deal but the video shows how close you came to hitting the wall. I seem to remember you having problems on that corner at other times my friend

Missed you guys, glad I could live vicariously through your pics and video.

Last edited by savyboy; 09-28-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Richie18
Instructor

From the video its hard to tell what even happened?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:58 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Combination of cold tires (first lap out) and also not use to to the better bite of the endless pads ( I was applying the same brake peddle force as PFC) lock up the tires. I was really surprised at the quick lock up ... maybe I hit an oil spot? I use about 40% less brake pedal force after and no more lock up
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

New brake pads... $700. New brake rotors..., $1000. Fresh sticky Hohos... $1500. Not having to lift a finger to get them all on the car at a track event... priceless.

+1 to what Mikymu said. I can't say enough good things about BRRacing's track side support. They are awesome!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:01 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Yikes! From the pictures it looks like no big deal but the video shows how close you came to hitting the wall. I seem to remember you having problems on that corner at other times my friend

Missed you guys, glad I could live vicariously through your pics and video.
Oh yeah, the wall was really close from driver point of view. Hey, strip your 4.0 and bring her out to play
Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Good save! Which Endless pads did you go with?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good save there, Mike.

I didn't know TH laid down new paint on the apex/rumble strips. God, it's been too long since I've been out there.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

did they check the data and adjust your brake bias? looked like too much rear bias.

at least you missed the wall... i hit a wall over the weekend at fontana on my last lap of the weekend! she's fine, as am i. i needed a new bumper and fender anyways. haha. FYI, blipper is amazing! It's a must have. If you have the $$, get the porsche one. It's amazing. I tried the Michelins and they are much grippier vs. Yokos, but have a numb feeling and don't offer too much warning when they release... I am going back to Yokos... I managed 1:41 on old yokos, over 1 second improvement over my last outing on new yokos. the blipper improved my braking significantly and that was the time savings.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone stole my car - the white gt3 with RS wing and black wheels.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikymu
Combination of cold tires (first lap out) and also not use to to the better bite of the endless pads ( I was applying the same brake peddle force as PFC) lock up the tires. I was really surprised at the quick lock up ... maybe I hit an oil spot? I use about 40% less brake pedal force after and no more lock up
So do only new Cup cars have ABS or is it an option of sorts?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

only 996 cups have abs... 997 cups come without abs, but abs can be added in World Challenge & Grand Am racing..
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grand Am & ALMS cars do not use ABS. Only the 997 Cup R in the EU has ABS as certain racing series in Europe allow ABS (I.E: Porsche SuperCup). Same goes for Asia and Japan. The 997 Cups that race in All Japan Super GT Championship (GT300) have ABS.

World Challenge Cars can use ABS.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
New brake pads... $700. New brake rotors..., $1000. Fresh sticky Hohos... $1500. Not having to lift a finger to get them all on the car at a track event... priceless.

+1 to what Mikymu said. I can't say enough good things about BRRacing's track side support. They are awesome!!!
+1

Now let's get to work on the auto blipper

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Good save! Which Endless pads did you go with?
N05U ... freaking amazing!!!

Originally Posted by edwin814
Good save there, Mike.

I didn't know TH laid down new paint on the apex/rumble strips. God, it's been too long since I've been out there.
It's all instinct now days when I spin ... had plenty of practice lol

New paint? Time to unwrap your RS and get her out on track!

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
did they check the data and adjust your brake bias? looked like too much rear bias.

at least you missed the wall... i hit a wall over the weekend at fontana on my last lap of the weekend! she's fine, as am i. i needed a new bumper and fender anyways. haha. FYI, blipper is amazing! It's a must have. If you have the $$, get the porsche one. It's amazing. I tried the Michelins and they are much grippier vs. Yokos, but have a numb feeling and don't offer too much warning when they release... I am going back to Yokos... I managed 1:41 on old yokos, over 1 second improvement over my last outing on new yokos. the blipper improved my braking significantly and that was the time savings.
Man! You OK? Hope it's not a hard hit

That's the beauty of these Cup car. You hit something, take the damage part off and put replacement on and keep going. I would cry a river if that happen to my street RS.

I tried Michelin at TH and it grip much better but I did not push too hard to lose traction. Brake bias is fine. I was not used to the better braking power of endless pads and lock up the wheels. I wil have an auto blipper soon

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Someone stole my car - the white gt3 with RS wing and black wheels.
lol. Hope that's not your GT3
Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Hey that's improvement. Now only one spin per day vs 3 spins when u 1st got cupcar : ). Mike

Quick Reply: Thunderhill adventure with BR track support