Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Okay, so I finally got the tire trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you guys with trailers post some detailed photos of the hitch? Both with and without the trailer, please. I'm very serious about going this route - I really want to go back to running Hohos! Wish I was in FLA to see them in person. I don't know of anyone on the left coast with such as set-up.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the planet-9 forum link I posted in this thread for detailed pics of Mike Foxtrot's (mine) hitch. Uses a 2" shank receiver.

"Mike" is based in SoCal. Will Wood, who also makes hitches (and arguably far more experienced) is also based somewhere on or near the left coast.

Pic from Champion Motorsport's Flickr-
Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Mine could be lower. It's wasted space up top.
Is it possible to put a shelf up high to store some of your light/medium weight stuff?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I told Dog that last year. Put shelf's so you can store tool boxes, and track accessories. That way there is plenty of room below for tires, and the bulky stuff....
Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

These little trailers are the way to go for trips as long as you are comfortable in your track car..
Build it once, perfect for tires and tools. You don't even have to think when you go to the track. Hook up trailer and you are on your way, easy for getting tires mounted at cheap local tire store etc.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Go to the planet-9 forum link I posted in this thread for detailed pics of Mike Foxtrot's (mine) hitch. Uses a 2" shank receiver.

"Mike" is based in SoCal. Will Wood, who also makes hitches (and arguably far more experienced) is also based somewhere on or near the left coast.

Pic from Champion Motorsport's Flickr-
That looks so nice and clean...well done!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Is it possible to put a shelf up high to store some of your light/medium weight stuff?
I had thought about that.

Originally Posted by The Greek
I told Dog that last year. Put shelf's so you can store tool boxes, and track accessories. That way there is plenty of room below for tires, and the bulky stuff....
Not sure how to mount the shelves though. Its wood inside and aluminum outside. You don't have much depth to properly mount screws. Unless I went with some L brackets and used liquid nails or something to mount them.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
These little trailers are the way to go for trips as long as you are comfortable in your track car..
Build it once, perfect for tires and tools. You don't even have to think when you go to the track. Hook up trailer and you are on your way, easy for getting tires mounted at cheap local tire store etc.
Agreed.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How did you deal with the heat from the center exhaust? i.e. how did you keep it from melting your harness wiring when the trailer is connected?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I melted mine once Now I loop it around the side and use extra tape to insulate it.

I just had a new custom hitch setup done. I suspect it will be the nicest, strongest setup out there.

And as an added bonus, the least expensive.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I melted mine once Now I loop it around the side and use extra tape to insulate it.

I just had a new custom hitch setup done. I suspect it will be the nicest, strongest setup out there.

And as an added bonus, the least expensive.
Electrical tape? And photos?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

No photos. Just black electrical tape. When I melted the first one the wire became very brittle. It still worked fine though so I just went over it with more black tape. Been fine for over a year now.

Just make sure you route the wiring to the left of the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Okay, so I finally got the tire trailer.