Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Okay, so I finally got the tire trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Glad Rad only mentioned semi-fast and GT3RS......guess that leaves me out...whew!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
That looks like it will hold a lot more than tires.
It's not as big as it looks. It's 4x4x8. It will hold two sets of wheels and gear with ease though.

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Love to see details about the car side attachment. I have seen a few posts on here with different methods. There are some events that are a few hours away and I really hate renting car trailers.

Yes! Yellow or Black
w/Contrasting "P O R S C H E" Lettering
I had thought about painting it all black, but I'm afraid the interior would turn into a furnace when parked outside on the tarmac at Sebring.

Originally Posted by Richie18
I say paint it black and do Yellow lettering with Porsche GT3.

Your car looks like a beautiful track rat
Thanks

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Only paint it yellow if you can find a matching man purse and after you hired a pro coach at Sebring.
I had a feeling you'd say that. I'm sure Nick has a purse I can borrow. I tried the pro coach thing once. Wasn't the greatest experience. Not totally the coach's fault. It was a poor event to use a coach for... Too much traffic (event was oversold) and he didn't have his communicator. I'm going to take another shot at it this year, preferably at a Safe event where we can get on and off the track as often as necessary. Lord knows I could use the help.

Originally Posted by ADias
I do not want to rain on the parade but is it really wise to hitch that to the back of a 911 (GT3)? Unless driven very short distances, on smooth roads, at very low speeds, I can envisage various dynamic scenarios where this proposition is bad news for driving dynamic stability and possible structural damage. But I could be wrong.
This trailer has toured the US behind a 997. Previous owner was a national auto crosser. Even if some sort of worst case scenario happened (knock on wood), I don't see any potential for structural damage beyond a new bumper and that $150 bumper reinforcement bar.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Get rid of the cheap looking white wheels...tape up the tires and spray them black or silver...or hey I know...yellow wheels on a black trailer with a Porsche crest.

You can haul The Greeks wheels too...your 2 can be a great DE team.....ManPurse Racing!
Greek's gonna have to get his own trailer I am going to have the wheels painted black for sure.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
powdercoat trailer wheels black and call it good...

how much total wight are you towing when max loaded (contents and trailer)?
The trailer is around 500 pounds and probably 200-300 pounds of gear.

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
Looks like you could use it as an improvised YOTEL
I could, but I won't I enjoy the AC at the chateau way too much.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Andrew, congratulations! nice choice.

Is the hitch the one developed by Will Wood?

Keep in mind that the hitch should not carry more than 60 lbs of tongue weight, and total trailer weight with tools and wheels should not exceed 600 lbs.

I would personally use no more than 400 lbs of load (trailer + cargo).

The attachment of the hitch goes straight to the bumper beam, a very strong and stiff beam that is designed to absorb major impacts in case of accident. On my years autocrossing, I have seen many setups like this on cars as little as a Miata, and driven for thousands of miles.

Avoid hard acceleration, high speeds, heavy braking, as it creates stress on the trailer. Keep a spare tires for the trailer, as they tend to go bad in Florida weather.

Now, get some Hoosier R6 and a coach, and lets bully the multitude of semi-fast drivers with 2010+ GT3 RS 3.8.
This is not a wilwood hitch, but similar design. I'm guessing its a rip off of sorts.... I had to replace my original metal bumper reinforcement bar with that of a 996 (used $150). It's hard to explain without pics, but there is a lip on the metal pieces that are behind the bumperettes that is one of the locking points for each side of the hitch. Then there's two more bolts on each side to secure it in place. And of course chains as a backup. Its really well thought out. The bracket even dips in the middle to not obscure the tag when not towing if you don't want to take the bracket off.

I did however bring the trailer over to the local trailer shop to have the bearings packed and upgrade the lights to brighter LED's. He thought the bracket was pretty nicely designed, but felt it could use more reinforcement in the center section as it was slightly torquing the middle. Nothing serious, he was just pointing it out. Bear in mind, this setup has been across the country before with two set of wheels and full gear with no problems. For the minimal expense, I told the trailer guy to go ahead and beef it up. Couldn't hurt. He's going to weld a thicker metal plate to the center section, and then powder coat the whole thing black.

Total weight will probably be 800 pounds when all is said and done. 500 or so for the trailer, and then a few hundred in wheels, tires, gear. More than I would prefer, but the previous owner towed the same setup in his boxster, and then his 997. He said he had no issues at all. It doesn't feel as heavy as it is. I can wheel it around my driveway with no problems. It has that third retractable wheel up front which makes getting it on and off the hitch very easy. I'm really shocked at how balanced it is. I don't know how much tongue weight is on it, but I would be surprised if its anywhere near 60 pounds.

I'm with you on the tires. It came with a spare. Which unfortunately had to be used on the way to my delivery from Boca. Seller said the tire blew and he didn't even notice it had come off the rim because the trailer was so well balanced. He finally figured it out when someone pulled up next to him waving. After we got the hitch installed and the trailer hooked up, I immediately went over to goodyear and got two brand new tires. Not taking any chances.

Still can't decide between black or yellow. I just don't like it in silver. Yellow would look cool for sure, but I think black would look great too.

How much of an impact do you think a black exterior will have on the interior temps of the interior?

BTW, I'm not the only GT3 on here towing his tires

R6's on order. Hoping to at least keep Randy in site and not have Reter lap me
Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great trailer. Was wondering how you were getting those r6's to the track. Ur gonna need em C u soon. Mike
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

First of all congrats! I agree with painting the trailer black and yellow Porsche lettering

Second, I thought our bumper brackets weren't strong enough to support trailers (even small ones). Did you do anything for that or just attached it?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Second, I thought our bumper brackets weren't strong enough to support trailers (even small ones). Did you do anything for that or just attached it?
I've heard it both ways....Porsche and others have said DO NOT tow anything but I've seen guys at the track show up with small open trailers towing tires. I know of 1 guy who towed a very small tire trailer with a hitch ball that just screwed into the bumper with a hole through the license plate. He never had a problem I knew of.

If I end up going this route I want to keep it simple and clean. I don't want the look of a hitch on my rear bumper when I'm not towing.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

They have to say never tow as do you know how many regs they would have to go though to make it work? First of all you are towing off a 5 mph impact bumper that has 2 tiny shocks designed to absorb IMPACT. Towing is mostly outward stress (until panic braking where that 500 lb trailer helps add to the weight of that rear end wanting to swing out). The 4 little 8mm bolts holding that trailer through the bumper to the shocks then into the chassis in back were never tested like that. Not to say they would fail, just that that is not something else EVER Porsche or any other manufacturer would do.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

First of all congrats! I agree with painting the trailer black and yellow Porsche lettering

It's the 996 bumper reinforcement bar. It's different than the 997.

Originally Posted by mdrums
I've heard it both ways....Porsche and others have said DO NOT tow anything but I've seen guys at the track show up with small open trailers towing tires. I know of 1 guy who towed a very small tire trailer with a hitch ball that just screwed into the bumper with a hole through the license plate. He never had a problem I knew of.

If I end up going this route I want to keep it simple and clean. I don't want the look of a hitch on my rear bumper when I'm not towing.
My setup is completely removable in about 5 minutes. I'm just lazy and it's a great conversation piece. People ask about it all the time. My local trailer shop said they could replicate the whole thing, and actually make a better version.

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
They have to say never tow as do you know how many regs they would have to go though to make it work? First of all you are towing off a 5 mph impact bumper that has 2 tiny shocks designed to absorb IMPACT. Towing is mostly outward stress (until panic braking where that 500 lb trailer helps add to the weight of that rear end wanting to swing out). The 4 little 8mm bolts holding that trailer through the bumper to the shocks then into the chassis in back were never tested like that. Not to say they would fail, just that that is not something else EVER Porsche or any other manufacturer would do.
Agreed. It's easier for Porsche to just say no. If I hadn't seen so many other people do it, I would be concerned as well. As Mike said, Erik tows his trailer with just a ball welded to the tow hook. The previous owner of my trailer/hitch had done two 3k mile trips using his boxster initially, and then another with the 997. In addition to the four bolts, it's also locked into place using the overhook lips on the top of the metal shocks to lock the hitch into place. The 997 shock doesn't have that lip so that's why I had to switch to the 996 version. It's one more part of the reinforcement process and is probably overkill, but you can't take enough precautions. Wilwood has been doing Porsche hitches for years: http://www.willwoodsystem.com/

I wouldn't drag this setup over dirt roads at 100 mph, but for normal street driving at reasonable speeds I think it will be fine. I'm guessing this has to be at least as secure as the those little bumper hitches you see all the time on small pickup truck bumpers.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Done.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Very color coordinated.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it looks great!
for full effect, black out the car wheels :-)
Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice! I need to get one myself, but would like to get a smaller one.

Andrew, are you coming to Sebring in November so I can see the trailer in person?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Where's the wing for the trailer? It needs downforce. LOL

Seriously... this is awesome. Nicely played.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 PM
ponzzzz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

looks cool, but needs the crest also
Old 10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very color coordinated.
Thank you sir. It's a big hit at Sebring this weekend. Quite the conversation piece.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
it looks great!
for full effect, black out the car wheels :-)
Track wheels are black. Wife won't let me paint the stockers

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Where's the wing for the trailer? It needs downforce. LOL

Don't think I haven't considered this!

Seriously... this is awesome. Nicely played.
Thank you. It's turned out great. All my tires, go ped, jack, tools, in a nice neat package. I'm really pleased with it so far. And the hitch on the back keeps Izzone from tail gating me on the track

Originally Posted by ponzzzz
looks cool, but needs the crest also
There's a huge crest on the back. I'll have to take a pic.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:09 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Nice! I need to get one myself, but would like to get a smaller one.

Andrew, are you coming to Sebring in November so I can see the trailer in person?
Maybe. Which event?

Quick Reply: Okay, so I finally got the tire trailer.