Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Excellence Magazzine feature on Gavin's GT3RS!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Chris Harris + Excellence = must have issue! Can't wait to read this article.

IZZONE: I agree with Chris's comments: your 997.1 RS is probably the worlds greatest! However, I would add TCSRACING (Tom) to that statement.
Love the vid & the overall racing pedigree.

Exe-tc is really developing a reputation in the world of suspension.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:48 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Nan P...Izzone has a .2 RS
Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Nan P...Izzone has a .2 RS
Woops...my mistake, I meant Gavin's 997 RS.1.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:05 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yeah that's what I'm thinking...for driving Sebring and street use I would guess the Tarmac type of shock would be best. Really glass smooth tracks can have a stiffer suspension.
Im still pondering valve options for my custom rally suspension for both road & track.

The trouble with my tarmac shocks for street is that they tend not to be soft until under load thus city driving they would still appear stiff.

For track there is more sustained G-force load and at higher speeds. This is where Im curious to what the result would be with grippy slicks? Would it be too soft with all the g force and available grip?
Would it upset the chassis dynamics and suspension alignment under full load in a corner?

My track only Bilstein Setup is stiffer then my rally shocks and stock shocks and when they are lowered to CUP ride height there is little travel but under full load of g -force in a corner the car remains balanced/neutral. I cant help but wonder if it was too soft would it squat in the rear especially under hard acceleration out of the turn causing the the front end to get light....
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds ideal for an aggressive street and sebring set up

jack
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In broad terms, what does this setup cost?
I'd love to get away from PASM.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
In broad terms, what does this setup cost?
I'd love to get away from PASM.
exe-tc are approx $10k, im on hotbits for $5k.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

$10k....ummm...ego aside I can't afford that.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Sell the boat
Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sell the boat
When you comming over to pick it up?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:00 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch, more than I was hoping to hear.
It's not as if replacing the PASM dampers would be cheap, but I was 'hoping' for a number closer to $6500.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM
GT3 GIRL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

There are many interesting perspectives and opinions about suspension. I will try and explain the Exe-tc concept which is a little different from traditional beliefs about suspension technology. Exe-tc has not reinvented the wheel regarding suspension. But they do have a different philosophy compared to most other suspension manufacturers. This approach has proven to be very successful. Exe-tc has provided the suspension for Sebastian Loebs' car which has won the last 8 World Rally Championships. They also have provided suspension for people competing in rallies all around the world along with cars in formula one, British touring cars, Australian V8's, and the VLN series at the Nurburgring. They only sell shocks and springs as a package as they believe that the two work as one. They replace the normal stiff linear spring with a much softer progressive spring and then control what the suspension does with very powerful dampers. Interestingly enough, the suspension package that they build for Porsche's are identical with the exception of vavlving for both road racing and rallying. As an example, the GT3 Cup Car that is running at the Nurburgring in the VLN series and the GT3 Cup Car that is running in the European Tarmac Rally Championship are running the same suspension systems, same springs, same shocks. Obviously the ride heights are different and the setup is different but the suspension package is the same.

There is very little difference in grip between the slick tire that they run at the ring and the rally slick that they use on a tarmac rally stage. By making the spring rate softer and progressive the tire maintains better contact with the track surface. You also get a significant improvement in tire wear with this setup. Good suspension is all about creating driver confidence; this allows the driver to push the car to its limits with confidence that it won't bite him (OR HER) in the ***. Certainly in the case of Sebring, with its bumpy corners and aggressive curbs, compliant suspension is a great asset. On virtually every track compliant suspension is a huge benefit to the driver. When you first drive a car equipped with Exe-tc suspension, you may find it a little soft in comparison to what you are used to. As you start to explore the suspensions capabilities you will realize you can do things with the car with complete confidence that would have previously upset the chassis and made the car nervous and twitchy (the kind of twitching that causes some specific muscles to involuntarily tighten). To answer to the question about cost, an Exe-tc 3 way adjustable system including springs is 10k. This is by no means inexpensive, but most certainly value for money as the transformation of a GT3 is remarkable! They also have a single adjustment shock with the same spring available for $6500
Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Curious what others think about Ohlins? They have completely separate circuits for for compression and damping, which I believe is unique in suspension world, and said to be an advantage.

http://performanceshock.com/TTX40_TT...ner_Manual.pdf
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Excellence Magazzine feature on Gavin's GT3RS!!