Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone here had this kind of oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going nuts here....

First they thought it was RMS. Replaced, didn't help.
Then they thought it was the oil cooler. Replaced, didn't help.
Next they thought it was a coupling on one of the oil tank lines. Replaced last week. Drove the car twice since.... guess what.... didn't help.

aaarrgggg
Old 11-12-2011, 10:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

That's strange. It does not leak immediately?
I mean they could clean it, drive and see where it comes from?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:26 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

This is my guess....

My former C5 Z06 had a transmission leak. Kinda like the fluid was coming up through the vent holes. This was never an issue in any way. The level was pretty much always ok, but there was always fluid present like in your pictures. Have them check the transmission fluid level. And check if the fluid isn't coming from sort of transmission fluid "vent" or overflow thingie.

Once that stuff comes out it goes all over the place.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I'm going nuts here....

First they thought it was RMS. Replaced, didn't help.
Then they thought it was the oil cooler. Replaced, didn't help.
Next they thought it was a coupling on one of the oil tank lines. Replaced last week. Drove the car twice since.... guess what.... didn't help.

aaarrgggg
Can you go to another dealership? Your current dealership sounds a little incompetent, but very profitable.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:04 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I think that in order to reproduce it you need to drive it on a racetrack. They do have the autobahn nearby but I guess they aren't to keen on driving a customer's car at 300 km/h (which is legal over there).

@LehmanZ06: it is engine oil, not gearbox oil.

@TRAKCAR: it seems so. I picked it up and after the first drive there was nothing to see (did approx 1000km including a trackday then) so I thought it all was fixed. However the second time I used the car (another 800km + 2 20 minutes run on a track) I found the engine looking like this at the end of the day.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It really sounds like the same leak I had.
The leak isn't to bad when driving normal round the streets but on a track or fast autobahn driving it gets a lot worse, I came to the conclusion that it was because of the oil pressure being on max all the time hence the oil is being forced out of there at a greater rate.
Have they removed the engine yet?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

I remember Mikymu's fms was leaking and used some kinda dye to locate the leak. It's pretty hard to locate a leak unless it's literally pouring. Mike
Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Hi guys!

a big KICK on this thread, wanted to inform you about the situation.

Winter arrived in Europe so there was no way to test the car. Once the weather got a bit better I went to the dealership to do a test drive myself on the autobahn. Obviously they thought that you needed to drive it flatout for an entire trackday for it to leak. After my testdrive it was clear that even a 10 minute stint on the autobahn at 250+km/h and oil temperatures of 110 degrees C where more than enough to have oil all over the engine.

So off they went replacing some parts, testing, replacing some other parts, testing, replacing even more parts etc etc....

Then came the day: "We have 1 possibility left. If this doesn't fix it then Porsche has to fix it themselves because we don't know it anymore". So they replaced the parts, tested the car and .... it still leaked!

So time to contact Stuttgart. First he told me that Porsche probably wanted the car transported to the factory so they could investigate, but he needed to contact them first to see what they proposed. Anyway, another week passed because the guy in Stuttgart wanted to arrange something but he needed permission from Weissach for this etc etc. and after approx. 2 weeks I got a final answer:

"We have ordered you a new engine"

So the car, 2 years old and 50.000km on the clocks, has received a brand new engine from Porsche, free of charge!

They installed it this weekend and will test it next week, so finally after many months I will have my car back! I must say I am very happy with the solution and the service delivered by Porsche (one must be patient though ). They know the car was used "as it is supposed to be used" if you know what I mean and they were perfectly fine by it and didn't ever try denying warranty because of this.

I suppose my old engine will go to the factory so they can investigate.

Just one thing I wonder. Would my car need a new alignment? I can imagine they have to unmount quite some stuff at the back in order to replace the engine? Anyone know this?

Quick Reply: Anyone here had this kind of oil leak?