997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

AiM Sport (MXL Strada) or Traqmate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011 | 11:50 AM
Terence_lai
Instructor

Default AiM Sport (MXL Strada) or Traqmate?

Anyone has any experience of these? Please help.
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:03 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

I have experience with both. What are you looking to do and what is your end goal?
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:10 PM
Terence_lai
Instructor

try to installed one for track use to record all necessary data for analysis. Which one is easy to use and install and provide best quality in terms of video and data ?
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:12 PM
savyboy
Drifting

You should include RLC Racing in your search: http://rlcracing.com/

I just installed a Micro Pod Sport for predictive lap timing

Seems to work great and some awesome features.
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:56 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

I'm using the AIM EVO4 which is the baby to the MXL and love the setup. It's made having a pro drive my car indispensable in learning how to go fast. The AIM connects to the CAN bus so it's super easy to get all the data the ECU has to offer.
Old 09-07-2011 | 01:10 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I contacted AIM but never got a response from them, so I went with Driftbox.

But if I had my choice, I would have bought the AIM if they held my hand properly through the outfitting process
Old 09-07-2011 | 02:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Any of these work on a Mac without having to install Windows on the Mac?
Old 09-07-2011 | 04:07 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

mdrums, the AIM Race Studio software requires you to run Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 on the Mac to download the data. With predictive lap timing, I rarely deep dive into the data anymore. The only time I dig into the data now is when I have a pro drive the car to set a time and I want to see where he/she is faster than me (unexpectedly, it's usually in the slower corners).
Old 09-07-2011 | 04:08 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Any of these work on a Mac without having to install Windows on the Mac?
No. The Mac software is too hard to write for such a small segment of users out there. Plus most of this software is free and downloadable which really doesn't help to justify the expense to design the software for the Mac.

Just bite the bullet and install windows on the Mac.

Originally Posted by Terence_lai
try to installed one for track use to record all necessary data for analysis. Which one is easy to use and install and provide best quality in terms of video and data ?
Look into the AIM Solo DL. It isn't out just yet but it should be in the next month. This unit will allow you to sync with a SmartyCam so you can have both data and video in the same unit. The price for both of these units together is $1698, which is cheaper than Traqmate with video. The data collected with the SOLO and its OBD plug is more precise than anything Traqmate has to offer at this point. It will show you exact throttle % and exact braking spots on the track. The software is decent enough that is you know how to check your email you can figure it out to analyze it.

Now the AIM probably doesn't have the tracks you will be driving in their database just yet but that is okay. I know there is a function where you can set Start/Finish for the track. After that you will never be asked to do it again.
Old 09-07-2011 | 06:45 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

I have given up on the Traqmates. All the customers that have them have had nothing but issues. Some have been back 4-5 times to Traqmate. Switching to SmartyCams. For 90% of the folks the basic data out of the CPU is fine. Coupled with the AIM dash, it is a nice setup. The Strada does NOT STORE DATA. So really worthless for instruction after session. you have to step up to Pista for the internal storage. Oh and I tried the Strada with the external storage USB card. Doesnt work with that unit. Oh well. Still it is the way my customers are going. Installing 2 dashs in next few weeks. StartyCams already installed in number of happy customers cars. If anyone is interesting in some ChaseCams or Traqmates, let me know....
Old 09-08-2011 | 12:24 AM
Terence_lai
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
No. The Mac software is too hard to write for such a small segment of users out there. Plus most of this software is free and downloadable which really doesn't help to justify the expense to design the software for the Mac.

Look into the AIM Solo DL. It isn't out just yet but it should be in the next month. This unit will allow you to sync with a SmartyCam so you can have both data and video in the same unit. The price for both of these units together is $1698, which is cheaper than Traqmate with video. The data collected with the SOLO and its OBD plug is more precise than anything Traqmate has to offer at this point. It will show you exact throttle % and exact braking spots on the track. The software is decent enough that is you know how to check your email you can figure it out to analyze it.

Now the AIM probably doesn't have the tracks you will be driving in their database just yet but that is okay. I know there is a function where you can set Start/Finish for the track. After that you will never be asked to do it again.
Sounds like AiM is the way to go...thx for all the inputs. Hope AiM would call me back soon.
Old 09-08-2011 | 01:04 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Reach out to Joe Cooley at Circuit Motorsports. He got me a great deal on the AIM setup. If he doesn't respond, PM me and I'll give you a contact at AIM head office that answers emails on weekends, evenings, etc. to serve his company's customers.
Old 09-08-2011 | 01:43 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terence_lai
Sounds like AiM is the way to go...thx for all the inputs. Hope AiM would call me back soon.
Terence--

AIM is a good system, but there are various overlapping products so you need to choose the one that works for you (MXL vs. MyChron vs. Evo vs. Solo)...

I've dealt with both Jordan (AIM) and Joe (Circuit). Both are top-notch and very responsive. I'm local to you (HK)--if you're not in a rush I'm happy to show you my setup before you make your purchase. Just PM me.
Old 09-08-2011 | 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
no way.
no mac, no data system
Old 09-08-2011 | 10:13 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
no way.
no mac, no data system
Figures the guy from San Francisco would say that.

Then buy a cheap 17" Windows PC and call it a day.

Quick Reply: AiM Sport (MXL Strada) or Traqmate?