997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Motorsports shop rating system

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011 | 08:20 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Totally agree. Would like to offer my help in the process. Nothing better than finding a great shop; nothing worse than getting raped by a bad one. I know both from experience.
Old 09-06-2011 | 08:37 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Totally agree. Would like to offer my help in the process. Nothing better than finding a great shop; nothing worse than getting raped by a bad one. I know both from experience.
Yes, help will be needed once we have something going. I am sure many forum members like yourself have experiences to share be it good or bad so other than can benefit from great service and avoid pit falls along the way
Old 09-07-2011 | 10:16 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I think the min post count should be mandatory and be higher as I have seen A LOT of fanboi bolstering on this and other forums. Personally, I find that type of behavior reprehensible.
+1. Maybe 40-50?
Old 09-07-2011 | 02:28 PM
MGR-GT3
Rennlist Member

Maybe rather than post count, considering joined date? I read the forum a lot but I hardly ever post unless I have anything interesting to contribute. I'm sure there are many other members in the same situation. More likely, when you see a brand new member with a negative post, s/he just joined to be able to make that type of fanboi bolstering comment.

Either way, whether I can post or not, I think it is a great idea. I hope it happens.

MGR
Old 09-07-2011 | 03:38 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MGR-GT3
Maybe rather than post count, considering joined date? I read the forum a lot but I hardly ever post unless I have anything interesting to contribute. I'm sure there are many other members in the same situation. More likely, when you see a brand new member with a negative post, s/he just joined to be able to make that type of fanboi bolstering comment.

Either way, whether I can post or not, I think it is a great idea. I hope it happens.

MGR
Hey MGR, I read your concerns and there are many rennlist members that do not post such as yourself. I think a minimal criteria of 6 months of membership or 50 posts count should be enough as a screening tool
Old 09-07-2011 | 03:56 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
+1. Maybe 40-50?
30-40 might be better as it will keep the situation of someone joining under an alias just to start a flame war with someone. At the same time it is enough post for those that have been members a while but don't post often to be able to put up reviews if they so feel it. I would be those members probably won't put up a review unless it is a bad one though.
Old 09-07-2011 | 04:00 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

If this system is handled properly I don't see it giving any sort of stage for a flame war. You get to put up your own rating of a shop you have personal experience with. It's not for commenting on other people's opinions. If your experience with the same shop is different then you give them a different rating in your own post. It's really that simple. Debate just isn't allowed.
Old 09-07-2011 | 04:08 PM
Glock Guru
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey MGR, I read your concerns and there are many rennlist members that do not post such as yourself. I think a minimal criteria of 6 months of membership or 50 posts count should be enough as a screening tool

+2. Some kind of time/post # would be best all around. I look at my history and it's nothing fancy. Three years and less that 100 posts.

So ya, 6 mon and say 25 posts. IMO.

-Troy
Old 09-07-2011 | 07:24 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
30-40 might be better as it will keep the situation of someone joining under an alias just to start a flame war with someone. At the same time it is enough post for those that have been members a while but don't post often to be able to put up reviews if they so feel it. I would be those members probably won't put up a review unless it is a bad one though.
Yes, I understand the sentiment. I think this is why people don't vote when crime and jobless rate are low or if the candidates do not stir up controversy. In order for this rating system to work we need to have members post feedback be it good, bad or neutral and also bring attention to me or mods to add new shops they had unique insight. I think there will be just as many that will vote if they had both good and bad experiences so things should even out at the end

Originally Posted by GTgears
If this system is handled properly I don't see it giving any sort of stage for a flame war. You get to put up your own rating of a shop you have personal experience with. It's not for commenting on other people's opinions. If your experience with the same shop is different then you give them a different rating in your own post. It's really that simple. Debate just isn't allowed.
I think some sort of fire is invitable but we will use our fire suppression system (myself and mods) to douse the flame. I think most memebers here understand the importance of honest reporting and few may need some gentle nudge to get back on the right track

Originally Posted by Glock Guru
+2. Some kind of time/post # would be best all around. I look at my history and it's nothing fancy. Three years and less that 100 posts.

So ya, 6 mon and say 25 posts. IMO.

-Troy
I think time frame of mebership is more importantly than post counts. It is easy to rack up 25 post in 2 hours if someone really tries. I think 6 months membership is what's needed regardless of post count to make the vote count?
Old 09-07-2011 | 08:36 PM
MGR-GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
I agree. It's really no different than any other feedback system that is out there for Amazon.com or other online retailers. You find good reviews and bad reviews based on personal experience with individual purchases but there's no reason or need to bash the "reviewer." Typically, you would take out the best and the worst reviews and go with what the majority says. Good and honest shops will always get good reviews and that I believe is the intent of this new review system proposed by mikymu.
Old 09-07-2011 | 08:50 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MGR-GT3
I agree. It's really no different than any other feedback system that is out there for Amazon.com or other online retailers. You find good reviews and bad reviews based on personal experience with individual purchases but there's no reason or need to bash the "reviewer." Typically, you would take out the best and the worst reviews and go with what the majority says. Good and honest shops will always get good reviews and that I believe is the intent of this new review system proposed by mikymu.
Agree. When someone give a negative review that are full of F bombs, personal attack etc makes you wonder if everything said is legit. Some may enjoy a good Jerry Springer style fight on the web but I think most of us here prefer a honest in depth review be it good or bad. Flame war can be quickly doused by mods and guide the discussion on track just like any other post

Quick Reply: Motorsports shop rating system