Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

XPEL Ultimate Film

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No, I mean ever. I don't have those "Oops my camera did not work" excuses :-)
I did drive off the track a coupe of times when brakes went out in the Mustang or just over cooked it a bit.
Seriously? In all the years you've been doing this you've only spun twice? That's truly impressive especially at the pace you drive at. I would have figured you'd have 3 a weekend during your rookie phase way back when. You're a very aggressive driver. I cringe watching your videos but you always seem to catch it. I'm hoping to work up to having those skills and reactions at some point.

I think I'm up to 6 now. All at Sebring. One from the coolant line blowing in 17 (easily the scariest), one from a tire blowout in turn 5 (that wasn't fun either/picked up a monster screw), one at the tower turn on lap one/session one on stone cold street tires (being a retard), one in turn 3 going bit too fast (again being a retard), one in 16 (original 3 year old OEM Pirelli tires that came on car when I bought it/was being cheap because they still had tread/another retard move) and one in turn one (still not sure what happened on that one). I've managed to get most of them on film for posterity sake and posted some of them on here. I'm not sure why... Apparently I enjoy the abuse from the Sebring Posse

Oddly enough... none at PBIR, Homestead, Datyona, RR, or Barber. Which I'm guessing is probably because I've spent very limited at time on those tracks and didn't build up enough confidence to go into retard mode
Old 09-04-2011, 10:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

DD you're in retard mode a lot huh? ;-)
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Seriously? In all the years you've been doing this you've only spun twice? That's truly impressive especially at the pace you drive at. I would have figured you'd have 3 a weekend during your rookie phase way back when. You're a very aggressive driver. I cringe watching your videos but you always seem to catch it.
Yes seriously, no I don't drive aggressive.

Usually I stay away from the limit and build up very slowly and all my inputs and corrections are as if I am driving on ice. With the right lines and right inputs there is nothing to catch and laptimes go down magically.
Corded tires make that more difficult, but same principle applies.

I have caught it often, but the car is so easy to catch and the first few laps on any track I try to look for places where I might lose it and where I want to go when that happens..

Spinning due to coolent and flat tires don't count, I never did, but have experienced both and it's scary. I just got lucky. You did not. Spin, but no Game Over.

But when you don't know why you spin, or have "retard moments" you have to be careful and go back and reset by buiding a better rythm.

This was 3 months after I bought my first Porsche on worn R888.. At Sebring, also some PBIR in the rain, but nothing happens.. http://www.youtube.com/v/r1yk1fMMoiE Even with very slow laptimes, still overdriving the car with those tires.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:05 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
DD you're in retard mode a lot huh? ;-)
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yes seriously, no I don't drive aggressive.

Usually I stay away from the limit and build up very slowly and all my inputs and corrections are as if I am driving on ice. With the right lines and right inputs there is nothing to catch and laptimes go down magically.
Corded tires make that more difficult, but same principle applies.

I have caught it often, but the car is so easy to catch and the first few laps on any track I try to look for places where I might lose it and where I want to go when that happens..

Spinning due to coolent and flat tires don't count, I never did, but have experienced both and it's scary. I just got lucky. You did not. Spin, but no Game Over.

But when you don't know why you spin, or have "retard moments" you have to be careful and go back and reset by buiding a better rythm.

This was 3 months after I bought my first Porsche on worn R888.. At Sebring, also some PBIR in the rain, but nothing happens.. http://www.youtube.com/v/r1yk1fMMoiE Even with very slow laptimes, still overdriving the car with those tires.

Agreed on all. Every time I've spun and it wasn't mechanical, I've always looked very hard at why it happened and how to not have it happen again. For example, getting a little hot in session one, lap one was stupid. Luckily it was just a little low speed 35mph get off. Same for my turn 3. I had a great exit out of turn one and was getting a little overly enthusiastic. Need to reel that in a bit. Slow in, fast out I'm a lot more aware of tires and alignment these days. I'm certain my turn 16 was due to using ancient tires because I wasn't going fast enough to have lost it and was taking the turn rather casually. These same tires were giving me trouble at Homestead a few weeks before and I left them on the car anyway due the fact that their was still tread left. After being a R888 owner, I now know that tread is no indication that the tire is still good

Turn 1 spin is still a bit of a mystery. My setup wasn't great due to an over taking car and another one tracking in, but my speeds and steering input were reasonable considering... Maybe alignment. Not sure. I know I was very distracted and less focused as if I had been by myself. I definitely should have slowed more considering there more variables in the corner than just me at that point.

I've only got 2 full years doing this. This will be my 3rd season. And I've got a learn to learn. Neither of my cars have had PSM, which I think will probably end up being a good thing down the road. Learning the limits now without a sense of false confidence that I'm doing it right will probably pay off in the future.

For now, I'll just keep plodding along with my 2:29's and watching video from you, Mike, Randy, and Erik in hopes of picking up a few gems of knowledge that will make me faster eventually
Old 09-30-2011, 12:08 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Peter,

Just checking in with you to see how the film was doing. I'm sure you've had it on the track a time or two by now.

Also thought you might want to see a couple of cool new videos we did showing the Ultimate film's ability to heal itself from scratches.

Cheers,

Tim

Old 09-30-2011, 03:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Xpel, I have this new film on my car...how warm does the water need to be? Warm or hot?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had 3M in the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 RS. Good stuff , not good enough

For the Fiat, I went with Venture Shield which is a 3M brand now. After just 2 1/2 years and not much sun, the film looks nasty. Waxing the car using microfiber and high end wax, made it look dull, scratched, just horrible. Rubber marks, tire marks, goo, etc, difficult to remove.

I don't recommend 3M Venture Shield at all. Money lost!

I bought all sort of quality products, premier TTR (it doesn't remove cone marks), Plexus, Premier Crystalline, Premier Film Cleanse.

Any good installer for clear bra in South Florida? what about a top end car detailer?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I had 3M in the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 RS. Good stuff , not good enough

For the Fiat, I went with Venture Shield which is a 3M brand now. After just 2 1/2 years and not much sun, the film looks nasty. Waxing the car using microfiber and high end wax, made it look dull, scratched, just horrible. Rubber marks, tire marks, goo, etc, difficult to remove.

I don't recommend 3M Venture Shield at all. Money lost!

I bought all sort of quality products, premier TTR (it doesn't remove cone marks), Plexus, Premier Crystalline, Premier Film Cleanse.

Any good installer for clear bra in South Florida? what about a top end car detailer?

We have several on our dealer locator listed. If you ar in the Miami are look up Pepi with Auto Super Shield who carries our Ultimate film.

www.autosupershield.com
Old 09-30-2011, 01:39 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Eggs and Sharpie's on XPEL Clear Bra

Here is another video demonstrating Ultimate's ability to resist staining.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums
Xpel, I have this new film on my car...how warm does the water need to be? Warm or hot?
Sorry, I missed this post. Just warm will do. You don't really need water at all. The film will heal itself over about a 20 minute period, but warm water speeds up the process.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Glock Guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting new product Sounds like I need to give Frank a call at the office and set something up. The 11' 3RS race car you guys did needs some touch up work and the new RS-4.0 thats OTW will need to be covered front to back and top to bottom as part of a "Major Media Project" that's in the works with RSS.

Looking forward to doing business with you guys again. Tell Reggie hey.

-Troy
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I only have 4 track days (Little traffic) on the film now, so rally to early to tell, but so far I really like it.

The film is very nice and flat, no orange peel look, no yellowing (Again too early to tell) but the film has held up very well against tire rubber and other debris impacts. The tire rubber and track dirt came off easier after treating the film with Xpel sealer before going to the track. No marks or scratches on my film yet anywhere.

The real test will be over come February; I will take close up pictures and results after my first "season".
I've never been to a track where the rubber marks and dirt were worse than at Sebring because we are all pretty fast we hang on each other's rear bumper and there is just a LOT of rubber and crap laying around on the old track:

Nov 2 heavy traffic track days Sebring
Dec 2 heavy traffic track days Sebring
Jan 4 heavy traffic track days Sebring
Feb 3 heavy traffic track days Sebring

So I will get it wshed and detailed another 4 times at least and report back in.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Peter,

Glad to hear it is working well for you. If you have any really stubborn stuff on there, you can use laquer thinner to remove it. Just allow it to evaporate completely before going after an area more than once.

I look forward to seeing how it goes at Sebring. Take some pics!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Can it be installed on windshields?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Can it be installed on windshields?
Not really. The material will stick to glass, but it would cause too much distortion to the visual field to be useful on the windshield.

Quick Reply: XPEL Ultimate Film