Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS - can't be towed??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011 | 09:49 PM
drewgroel
5th Gear

Default GT3RS - can't be towed??

I have a 2011 GT3RS (sorry for not putting a first post up with photos but it's just been crazy!). I have been reading many of the posts on this site and have enjoyed a lot of the various topics and thought based on some recent experience it was time to make my own post.

On this past Monday night (2 nights ago), I was driving my car and all of the dash lights came on with the "TC Failure" message. This is not new to me as it has happened a few times with this car and my previous Porsche, so I did the routine of turning the key off and then turning the car back on to clear the issue. When I turned the car back on, the oil pressure indicator gauge no longer functioned and the on board computer indicated the failure. I tried cycling the ignition a few times, but the error maintained. I brought the car home and put it in the garage.

The next morning, the error was still present and I sent a note to my local dealer for service. They told me that given the condition, they did not feel it was safe to operate the vehicle and that I should contact Porsche roadside assistance as the service is covered by warranty. I called Porsche Roadside Assistance and scheduled a pickup for yesterday afternoon. The woman at roadside assistance confirmed the type of vehicle in order to send the right truck and it seemed we were all set.

Yesterday afternoon a tow truck arrived and couldn't get the car on the truck. He didn't bring any wood or ramps and his truck was too steep of an angle to allow the car to safely get on the truck. He left and Roadside Assistance set up for a different tow truck to come this morning. The second truck arrived this morning and they too could not tow the vehicle (I do have the front axle lifting system but that still wasn't enough). Roadside Assistance then told me they found a third guy that "might" be able to pick up the car, but it wouldn't be for hours and that I should call back later to check in (which seemed even more insane than them not sending the right truck twice). Ultimately, my dealer gave Roadside Assistance the name of a local company that they use and while not a partner with Roadside Assistance, they made a "special consideration" to take my car.

Here is my issue: I have a hard time with Porsche Roadside Assistance not knowing what kind of truck to send, and not having the right relationships set up to handle the car. I am now concerned that if I take the car on any leisure long distance drive and get something as simple as a flat, that I could be stranded for a day or two while these monkeys figure it out. At the moment, I have told the dealer I don't want the car back because I don't have the piece of mind that I can drive it and have assistance.

They are willing to make a deal to take my car and give me a 2011 Turbo S Cab at no impact to me because it is at least a couple of inches higher and potentially easier to tow.

I am of course struggling with the fact that I love the GT3RS and while the Turbo S is likely a great car, it certainly doesn't have the street presence. I haven't drive the Turbo S yet (doing it Saturday) so I can't comment on what should really matter.

Am I nuts to worry about the issues regarding Roadside Assistance? I figured I would get your thoughts.

Thanks for reading this and your comments!
Old 08-31-2011 | 10:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Mine has been flatbedded several times to and from shops even when it was brand new, no issue.
They might scratch your $200.00 front lip, or just simply pull it off!

Thi should not be any issue, mine is lowered and no front lift!
Old 08-31-2011 | 10:08 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Pull off lip, or let it scrape
Old 08-31-2011 | 10:12 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

3 words= front lift system!!!

Drew don't let the incompetence of others affect what you drive... There are ways you can safeguard yourself although as trak pointed out, whilst trickier, these cars aren't impossible to flatbed.

If you get an aftermarket front lift system fitted, all these issues will no longer exist as they give you between 35-60mm of lift... As for the flat tyre concern, you are no worse off than any other owner of a sports car. They all have the potential to leave you stranded... Think of it as character building and part of the experience.

Best...
Old 08-31-2011 | 10:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

if you are that concerned, heck, carry a couple of blocks in the front trunk.

certainly no cause to sell the car.

the front spoiler comes off which helps entry to flat deck truck.

make sure you request low pro truck for tow jobs.

these cars typically never require towing..... and you can usually handle it without roadside assistance.
Old 08-31-2011 | 10:22 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

get the '918 edition' turbo s. it floats on the road surface.

haha, no, seriously though, no car can replace the rs. sort out the towing issue with your dealer. they must know to send the correct equipment first time.
Old 08-31-2011 | 10:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
3 words= front lift system!!!
OP states that he has the front lift and it wasn't enough.

As others have said, just pull the front spoiler off. They pop in and out easily.
Old 08-31-2011 | 10:49 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
OP states that he has the front lift and it wasn't enough.

As others have said, just pull the front spoiler off. They pop in and out easily.
Ooops, my bad... The tow service they use must be ancient... OEM front lift gives you regular 911 type approach angles so the turbo wouldn't fair any better...

Go with lip off and insist in the future that roadside service send someone properly equiped with $5 planks...
Old 08-31-2011 | 11:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Directions (even with front lip spoiler on)

1) insert front tow hook - attach to flatbed winch
2) line up car at 30 degree angle of attack to flat bed
3) place 2x8 at leading edge of flatbed for both tires
4) get in car
5) have tow truck driver start winch and pull first wheel up onto 2x8 as you are turning steering wheel at 30 degree angle of attack - you may get slight rubbing of front lip but it won't be bad
6) keep steering wheel turned until 2nd front wheel goes up on 2x8 and then onto flat bed
7) slowly proceed but watch for rear exhaust tips touching the ground
8) if they are going to touch, use 2x8 to lift rear wheel for clearance

I've done this a few times - it works.

If you have a rear flat tire, you will need the wood to elevate the rear to avoid exhaust getting damaged.

I flat head screw driver to remove the two rubber screw plugs on the outside of the front lip spoiler on an mk1 makes everything faster.

It is no big deal - don't panic - it has been done by many before you.
Old 08-31-2011 | 11:31 PM
Clifton
Pro

They can be towed, but its not for the faint of heart. Porsche Roadside sent "Bubba" in a small town to pick me up last summer and he was not equipped with tools or blocks of any sorts. The entire experience was quite a handful.

When the tow truck arrived I was somewhat relaxed because I'm thinking Porsche Roadside is magic and they know how to handle a GT3. Bubba's first move was to attempt to attach his wench, via hooks, to my front control arm.

Floored by this, I showed Bubba where the tow eyelet was stored and how it screwed into the front of the car. From there he hooked the car up, pulled levers and the car crept forward. Once the front nose met the diamond plate surface of the flat bed, I watched the bumper begin to compress and flex - not good.

I realized Bubba did not give two sharts if he ripped the bumper off during the loading process so I stopped the drag and scrape process. I manage to beg and borrow some plywood boards from a nearby Semi-trucker and positioned them in front of the tires so that we try again. I'm literally on my hands and knees, jumping from left to right to make sure there is no rub.

After about 50 mins, we get the front of the car on thinking we are all in the clear. Then I noticed that as the car rolled up the flatbed the angle had to be adjusted to keep nose from scraping. In doing this, the car was like a rocking chair and the rear of the car was titled downward toward the earth. I ran to the rear and noted that the exhaust was about to scrape.

Once again, we had to position, adjust and rearrange with me monitoring each micro movement. The worst part was when the rear wheels finally touched the flatbed, Bubba had to raise the flatbed off the ground so he could pull the car forward. At that moment, the car was no longer touching pavement and only the very front of rear tires were touching the flatbed. The remaining 2/3s of the wheels were teetering - *code brown* for me.

The net result, a stressful 1.5 hours to get the car on the flatbed with minimal scraping. The unload was just about the same and the dealer struggled as well - even with the lip removed.

In short, a GT3 can be towed, but be prepared to be an active participant in your own rescue.

PS> Did I mention Bubba didn't have any tie down straps?

Last edited by Clifton; 09-01-2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: additions and typos
Old 08-31-2011 | 11:47 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

we all ride in an ambulance at least once in our lives, and we won't be showered, cologned, or wearing our gucci loafers, but it doesn't need to be a perfect moment. a little bit of roughness is ok for a better outcome.
Old 08-31-2011 | 11:49 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clifton
They can be towed, but its not for the faint of heart. Porsche Roadside sent "Bubba" in a small town to pick me up last summer and he was not equipped with tools or blocks of any sorts. The entire experience was quite a handful.

When the tow truck arrived I was somewhat relaxed because I'm thinking Porsche Roadside is magic and they know how to handle a GT3. Bubba's first move was to attempt to attach his wench, via hooks, to my front control arm.

Floored by this, I showed Bubba where the tow eyelet was stored and how it screwed into the front of the car. From there he hooked the car up, pulled levers and the car crept forward. Once the front nose met the diamond plate surface of the flat bed, I watched the bumper begin to compress and flex - not good.

I realized Bubba did not give two sharts if he ripped the bumper off during the loading process so I stopped the drag and scrape process. I manage to beg and borrow some plywood boards from a nearby Semi-trucker and position them in front of the tires so that we try again. I'm literally on my hands and knees, jumping from left to right to make sure there is no rub.

After about 50 mins, we get the front of the car on thinking we are all in the clear. Then I notice that as the car rolled up the flatbed the angle had to be adjusted due to keep from scraping at other points. Like a rocking chair the rear of the car was point toward the earth. I run to the rear and note the exhaust is about to scrape.

Once again, we had to position, adjust and rearrange with me monitoring each micro movement. The worst part was when the rear wheels finally touched the flatbed, Bubba had to raise the flatbed upwards so he could pull the car forward. At that moment, the car was completely off the ground and only the very front of rear tires were touching the flatbed. The remaining 2/3s of the wheels were teetering - *code brown* for me.

The net result, a stressful 1.5 hours to get the car on the flatbed with minimal scraping. The unload was just about the same and the dealer struggled as well - even with the lip removed.
Clifton--that sounds very much like my experience in China two years ago with the 997.1 RS. "Bubba Huang" who's used to towing Geelys and Cherrys hadn't the foggiest idea on how to tow a low-profile car. I can totally relate to your "jumping from left to right" watching for scrapes in the front and back... been there, done that. Positively ain't fun

OP--I wouldn't sell a car just coz it ain't easy to tow. Like others have said, this has been done countless times before in environments friendly and hostile... and like riding a bike, when you've done it once you'll never forget how...
Old 09-01-2011 | 12:16 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
we all ride in an ambulance at least once in our lives, and we won't be showered, cologned, or wearing our gucci loafers, but it doesn't need to be a perfect moment. a little bit of roughness is ok for a better outcome.
jesus.....when you put it that way it certainly puts things in perspective!!
Old 09-01-2011 | 12:34 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
jesus.....when you put it that way it certainly puts things in perspective!!
really?

I don't see the analogy.
the patient, in this case, isn't going to die. There is time to do it right and not damage the car.

tow services depend on area you are in and luck of the draw...

to the OP, as others have said, don't swap cars just to deal with a towing issue.
if they resolve the problem with the gt3 and a little luck, you shouldn't need to deal with another tow truck for a long time
Old 09-01-2011 | 01:04 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

I once paid $700 to get my 996 GT3 out of a very tight spot after the battery died and I couldn't get into the car with key secondary some "mods" the PO had made. I called the Porsche dealer and they recommended a particular towing company who specialized in "tough extractions". I was a bit shocked by the bill, needless to say, given the fact that they only moved the car about 15 yards, but they took extreme care. The guy was texting pics of the situation to his boss trying to figure out the best way to approach it.

Exchanging the GT3 for a Turbo after a rare let down, however, seems to me to be a bit extreme.

Quick Reply: GT3RS - can't be towed??