Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS - can't be towed??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
PS> Did I mention he didn't have any tie down straps?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Directions (even with front lip spoiler on)

1) insert front tow hook - attach to flatbed winch
2) line up car at 30 degree angle of attack to flat bed
3) place 2x8 at leading edge of flatbed for both tires
4) get in car
5) have tow truck driver start winch and pull first wheel up onto 2x8 as you are turning steering wheel at 30 degree angle of attack - you may get slight rubbing of front lip but it won't be bad
6) keep steering wheel turned until 2nd front wheel goes up on 2x8 and then onto flat bed
7) slowly proceed but watch for rear exhaust tips touching the ground
8) if they are going to touch, use 2x8 to lift rear wheel for clearance

I've done this a few times - it works.

If you have a rear flat tire, you will need the wood to elevate the rear to avoid exhaust getting damaged.

I flat head screw driver to remove the two rubber screw plugs on the outside of the front lip spoiler on an mk1 makes everything faster.

It is no big deal - don't panic - it has been done by many before you.
I REALLY like that method of getting the car on a flatbed. Would like to see someone post a video on YouTube.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

They can tow ANYTHING if they really want to...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 AM
drewgroel
5th Gear

Default Thanks for all of the responses

I really appreciate all of the responses. I agree trading cars seems completely irrational; it just seems incredulous to me that the trucks would arrive without any blocks of any kind or race ramps or anything to address a low profile vehicle. It seems that others have had the same "bubba" moments that I did.

I will investigate the process of removing the front lip and make sure I have the necessary tools in the vehicle to make sure if I ever need a tow I don't have to rely on tracking down my own lumber.

It is still a little annoying to know that we have to plan ahead because they can't, but as all of you say, the joy of having the GT3 is worth it!

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 AM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the RS flatbedded about one month ago due to a right-rear flat. Now, the Porsche assistance guy was very good, but, depending on where you are most have a "standard" flatbed, and, with enough planks they can get the car on. (Mine also has axle-lift). The service that came out had minimal planking but made the effort.........for quite some time........to get the car up and on safely.

One other item i was impressed with was, this guy knew to use the hooking system on the bed itself with a ******-block to pull the car forward and not on an angle. (For those that dont know what happens is........ your hook is right of center,but you still want a tow straight forward. They hook a ****** block also on right of center directly in front of your hook and locked onto the truck bed itself, then line goes basically from winch over to ****** block (at angle), then to your car straight on. You end up with a perfectly straight onto truck pull.

Now there are other flatbed designs like a place near here (R.MayerTowing), where his bed has a flip opwards on the last few feet of the bed so when its down your initial entry is darn near flat. If you are in the Atlanta area, he is the ONLY one you want to call for a pick-up.

To the OPs point though, I do think they could prepare better (Porsche Assistance) and get these units to come out prepared for a low profile car.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Depending on where you are they are just calling general roadside assistance. But in Southern California there are trucks that specialize in such lowered type cars for more than obvious reasons.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why should Porsche bother? All they sell are Cayennes and Panameras anyway
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 PM
drewgroel
5th Gear

Just to update the post, I drove the Turbo S and just didn't enjoy it at all so that definitely solved the one issue.

That being said, the Porsche dealer can't seem to figure out what is wrong with my car and has Porsche NA involved. Curious indeed...
Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

I had a rear tire blowout last weekend and called Porsche roadside assistance. The local towing company they use, my dealer uses the same towing company, has an airlift flatbad. It can lower so low that surprisingly did not scrape the front spoiler on my GT3 at all. The key thing is when you get the call from the towing company to go to your location, make sure they know it is a GT3.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a track tow truck scrape my rear bumber cover because I got a flat in Canada Corner. The idiot ripped it a little. Then he argued with me, I wanted to put on a wheel before unloading my car so it wouldn't scrape again. He just wanted to dump it and go. the 100 seconds it took to jack up and install a new wheel was nothing compared the 10 minutes it would take trying to avoid scraping. Another way to load on a flat bed is to jack up the front end and back up the flatbed under the front wheels of the GT3.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 PM
hlc
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, my local authorized Porsche dealer could not perform an alignment on my .1 gt3 because the car was "too low" to be driven onto the rack. I drove 120 miles to the next nearest to have it done.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Give me the GT3 and I'll give you my Turbo. Problem Solved. :-)
Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

a GT3 RS is not a car for everybody. Buying a small production GT3 RS for street presence is a waste IMHO.

I agree, let the $200 plastic piece scrap, removing it leaves the underbody of the bumper exposed to get scratched. GT3 Cup lower lip is more flexible and better for towing, it also has more street presence.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

do not worry about the chin spoiler. just scrape it or take it off.
also, you need a real tow truck guy who knows what he's doing.
i drive in and out of my trailer at 15mph never a prob. scare the **** out of ppl around me. i scrape the lip a bit that's all.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM
drewgroel
5th Gear

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
a GT3 RS is not a car for everybody. Buying a small production GT3 RS for street presence is a waste IMHO.

I agree, let the $200 plastic piece scrap, removing it leaves the underbody of the bumper exposed to get scratched. GT3 Cup lower lip is more flexible and better for towing, it also has more street presence.
I agree with you - I am not concerned about scraping; I am concerned that the tow truck drivers would not /could not get it on the truck (a lot had to do with them being ill prepared but that is exactly the issue).

I certainly didn't buy it for the street presence; I bought it because I love the communicative steering and connection to the car and plan to use it occasionally on the track (I have a race-prepped E36 M3 that I use to really beat on), but I do obviously intend to use the car for street use as well so that was what caused my initial reactions.

At this point, I feel confident that I am not going to find another car that feels as "right" to me; now I just hope they can figure out what is wrong with it (9 days into diagnostics and they are still unsure).

Quick Reply: GT3RS - can't be towed??