997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Purchase sight unseen from a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011 | 04:36 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

Default Purchase sight unseen from a dealer?

I am close to purchasing a 2008 Gt3 RS from a Porsche Dealer. In making the offer I outlined a number of conditions regarding maintenance history, exterior condition, interior condition etc. All of which the dealer agreed to. I received the dealers paperwork via FED-EX on Saturday which states "Cosmetically As IS". While this is probably standard procedure, it certainly doesn't state what they had previously committed to. If I were to find a ding or scratch, I would have no recourse.

Does anyone know of an independent shop in New Jersey that could do a visual inspection for me? The car is getting CPO'd, so I'm not terribly concerned about mechanicals.
Old 08-29-2011 | 04:44 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Where in NJ ?
Old 08-29-2011 | 04:47 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Make sure you see the DME scan prior to purchase.
Old 08-29-2011 | 05:07 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Where in NJ ?
Parsippany, Paul Miller Porsche
Old 08-29-2011 | 05:09 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Make sure you see the DME scan prior to purchase.
Agreed. I am still waiting on this. I am told that there was only one over rev in range 1, but still waiting for the DME print out.
Old 08-29-2011 | 05:19 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

David:

I've purchased 2 Porsches sight unseen from dealers. For both, I checked out the dealers reputation on RL and then had a thorough PPI performed. In each, I asked the PPI mechanics to do a cosmetic review of the car top to bottom. In both cases, the cars came exactly as described. So long as you do your due diligence, you should be fine. The fine folks here recommended a local shop for the PPI on my GT3 and I was extremely happy with them. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-29-2011 | 05:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

David, ask a local Rennlister to check the GT3 out for you.
Old 08-29-2011 | 05:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Do your due diligence.
Old 08-29-2011 | 06:19 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

buying a NEW toyota camry sight unseen is completely understandable. buying a NEW GT3RS sight unseen is somewhat OK. buying a 90-110K car sight unseen is a little tough. Take a flight out to NJ, check the car out and then hop on the plane back. BEST $200-300 ever spent for peace of mind. Although it does waste 1 day of your time.
Old 08-29-2011 | 06:33 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9972RS
Take a flight out to NJ, check the car out and then hop on the plane back. BEST $200-300 ever spent for peace of mind. Although it does waste 1 day of your time.
This is consistent with my gut intstinct. I certainly don't want any surprises. Finding the time is the tough part.
Old 08-29-2011 | 06:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

when buying used, sight unseen... be prepared for typical microscopic road rashes and door dings.... standard fare on used car market........ just make sure the dealer declares anything beyond microscopic first.

the cars that are garage queen clean are few and far between after 4 years of age...
Old 08-29-2011 | 08:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

my .02c
as others have said, have someone put eyes on it or go personally

I bought mine sight unseen, CPO car also. Had the rep take detailed pics and he did a good job, however, his opinion of what was photo worthy didn't match mine
For example, the HVAC switch gear is worn through, scratched(fan speed switch). He didn't notice... eyesore to me. Not a huge deal but don't like surprises.

CPO doesn't care about that sort of thing.
I had to get some things resolved and the dealer worked with me. Just a pain.
A couple of other really minor items but I should have had a friend take a peek at it first, or flown across the country. I had the same time issue...

Good luck to ya!
Old 08-29-2011 | 09:03 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Has he sent you a BUNCH of good, recent pictures? I bought a used Cayenne from a dealer, under warranty, with just pics for exterior condition. It arrived just like the pics. No problems.
Old 08-30-2011 | 07:49 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Schacht
I am close to purchasing a 2008 Gt3 RS from a Porsche Dealer. In making the offer I outlined a number of conditions regarding maintenance history, exterior condition, interior condition etc. All of which the dealer agreed to. I received the dealers paperwork via FED-EX on Saturday which states "Cosmetically As IS". While this is probably standard procedure, it certainly doesn't state what they had previously committed to. If I were to find a ding or scratch, I would have no recourse.

Does anyone know of an independent shop in New Jersey that could do a visual inspection for me? The car is getting CPO'd, so I'm not terribly concerned about mechanicals.
You're right, the As-is wording is pretty standard stuff. However, (since I am iwith BMW and have done many sight unseen deals), I can tell you what I have offered to buyers

-if they are not happy we will take it back
-I would email them a thorough cosmetic condition report
-a report of paint meter readings on all panels

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2011 | 08:15 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Paul Miller has a top reputation. Supporter of NNJR.

Quick Reply: Purchase sight unseen from a dealer?