Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Laguna Seca Warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

I agree 92 is too low. Past 100 is probably too loud, but I say probably.

Also, sound is a funny thing (mixing it is a side hobby). When you're driving around, it's certainly something different than when you're sitting on the back porch reading a book — which I suppose most people feel entitled to be able to do in their own homes.

I dunno, I remember being shocked by how loud the 997 GT3 while standing trackside after having driven it. In the car, I didn't think it was that much louder than the 996 GT3. Better sounding, sure. But nothing prepared me for the delta from outside the car.

To me, that's a lose-lose. Driver's ears are the only ones that should really matter in a street/personal-use car. All for ear candy for bystanders, and enjoy it as one, but I'd rather have a car that sounds great to me as I am using it than one that pleases others who aren't in it —*and angers some who are happy to phone me in, or, worse, get me kicked out of a race track.

I don't even care if Porsche resorted to BMW Z4 or VW GTI methods, but it's noise inside the car that I am after. Along similar lines, I'd rather have a "stealth" sound setting than a Sport setting. But I am probably in the minority on this. Finally, for the record, so I don't sound like I am turning in my enthusiast badge, my favorite two "Porsche" sounds remain the CTR (think RSR 3.0 but somehow with turbos!?) and Carrera GT. They sound so good all of the above goes out the window.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what Californians will be tracking at Laguna Seca, once the paddock and grand stands get replaced by Condos.

Even better than PDK or a dual clutch. No more shifting.

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...ctric-car.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyotam...rt/6096707002/
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
This is what Californians will be tracking at Laguna Seca, once the paddock and grand stands get replaced by Condos.

Even better than PDK or a dual clutch. No more shifting.

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...ctric-car.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyotam...rt/6096707002/
Arguably better looking than 997 Speedster
Old 08-31-2011, 05:04 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tford
"Despite its reputation and virtues, not all those who are familiar with the track and its activities are boosters.

Some in nearby homes have reached for the earplugs and written to protest the noise.

Others object to the surplus traffic.

To lessen the event-driven traffic load in the Highway 68 corridor, Laguna Seca has opened two alternate entrances.

"To some, the sound of racing cars is a noise, and we do hear from those people," Campbell said. "To me, that sound is music to my ears. I just see dollar signs."

Dee Myers lives three-quarters of a mile up Corral de Tierra Road.

"You can hear the noise more in our front yard than in the back," she said. "It's awful."

Especially when Spirit West Coast had its Christian rock music cranked on high. Cut-off time for that has always been 10:30 p.m., Chin said.

"We have an extensive process for checking sound and for monitoring traffic, and we do our best," she said.

Park rangers, for example, are sent to various points to monitor decibel levels.

While annoying, that level has not reached the point that would prompt Myers to oppose Laguna Seca's activities.

"I'm not their enemy," she said. "I just wish they were further away."

ATTENTION Dee Myers, we share the same sentiment ... EVERYONE on this forum wish you will pack your bags and move far far away back to Kansas and watch your daytime soap. No one will bother you there.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Arguably better looking than 997 Speedster
lol ...
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

918 edition turbo s spyder is better.........
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Default db question

There have been statements about measurements of db trackside in the 90, 92, 95db range.

What are the db measurements at Dee's house 3/4 mile away?

What are the db levels next an interstate highway? (Arguably closer than 3/4 mile) How about aircraft noise at Olmstead and Hwy. 68 near Monterey airport?

Is it the fact that she can hear anything or is the sound at a disturbing level?

Where I live I am 1 mile from a bridge over a lake. At sunrise I can clearly hear cars, especially tractor trailer trucks, running up through the gears. At noon, 7pm, 10pm I don't hear anything but crickets and frogs.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 AM
SWO
Intermediate

We have the same issue on the east coast. Folks have moved closer and closer to the military bases, usually those on the coast in prime locations. This has been a big deal with NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, as well as attempts to get a secondary parctice field in middle of nowhere North Carolina.

Just like the GT3, the newer versions of the F/A-18, the Super Hornet, is much louder than the A/B/C/D versions of the Hornet or the F-14.

I think the real estate markets (and the until recently growing value of the private property) is compounded by the lessening economic impact of the base to the community makes it much easier to be the "enemy".

You really could replace "Laguna Seca" with "NAS Oceana" and "Race Car" with "Super Hornet" and the coversation is identicle
Old 09-02-2011, 01:43 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our local track: Built in 1959.
Homes built: From 1961 through 2002

Noise complaints galore...

I just cannot see the logic of closing the freaking barn door after the horses have bolted.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Sears Point Raceway is a 15-20 minute drive at 70 mph — over two big hills — from my office. I can hear ALMS, Grand-Am, NHRA, Indy cars, HMSA, etc. here in the office park, and often at my desk if we've got the front door open. It's faint, yet distinct...I suspect I could tell where the cars are on track if I listened carefully for long enough. But that the noise travels this far is really saying something.

Of course, to me it's cool. Not sure others would agree. A few weekends a year, I can see race track and government officials telling the neighbors, "hey, it's a few weekends a year, and it brings tremendous money to the area." But when track-day cars are really loud, the argument is a lot harder to make. One has to ask: Is the enjoyment of a few being borne by many more? It is for this reason that I hate Harley Davidsons with open pipes and think they should be held to the same standards that kids in Hondas with open exhausts are.

When people move next door (or near) a race track, I don't think they should then complain about the noise from something that was already there. On the other hand, life and society as a larger whole do move on, and this doesn't make the debate over "fair use" of an area as easy as I wish it was (I am on the side of the race tracks here, but recognize I am selfishly so). We can be "good neighbors" too, and it's in our best interest to make sure our hobby doesn't end up angering people who can and probably will prevail.

Again, I think 92 db is too low —*but I suspect it's been reached after a lot of anguish with neighbors, and that LS people are under big pressure to keep the track-day $$ rolling in without losing the ability to rent out the track in the first place.

If I had a new "track-day" car that wouldn't pass sound at local tracks, I'd be figuring out a way to make it pass —*and/or writing the manufacturer to tell them of my frustration at my inability to use a car designed for track days at track days.

pete
Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

'laguna edition' turbo s.
that's really what the people want/need
Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Default Sound level control

Interesting article / power point from the Asphalt Institute which explains the sources of highway noise, the relationship of distance and line of sight to noise levels and how certain changes reduce db. Noise near interstates is in the 70db-80db+ range. Lawnmowers and chain saws are close to 100db within 100'. Interior of a regular car on the highway is in the 70db+ range. Standing next to a typical Harley, 100db+.

I wonder what the measured db level is in developments near Laguna Seca?

http://www.arasphalt.com/pdf/huner_noise.pdf

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Warning