damn fat finger reter. how many times did you post this
He hit the "submit reply" with shift ****
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
He hit the "submit reply" with shift ****
Nope, I submitted post, clicked a bunch of times as that is sometimes needed when the submit button is all the way on the bottom of my touch screen. Then This forum was down for about 15 - 30 minutes.

When the website finally worked again, there was only 1 post? I just deleted the extra ones just now. Not operator error, ****ty IB website error
Old 08-26-2011, 02:36 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nope, I submitted post, clicked a bunch of times as that is sometimes needed when the submit button is all the way on the bottom of my touch screen. Then This forum was down for about 15 - 30 minutes.

When the website finally worked again, there was only 1 post? I just deleted the extra ones just now. Not operator error, ****ty IB website error
You gotta watch what you are doing now days ... 911slow is just around the corner
Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 PM
mikeoR32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironic that they did this to you...seeing as when I was there yesterday I saw about 30 cars running them with no issues...
Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM
tford
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikeoR32
Ironic that they did this to you...seeing as when I was there yesterday I saw about 30 cars running them with no issues...
Maybe Sloppy Joe was off this weekend. But glad to hear you guys had an uneventful weekend. Until last week, I hadn't had an issue either.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tford
Maybe Sloppy Joe was off this weekend. But glad to hear you guys had an uneventful weekend. Until last week, I hadn't had an issue either.
LS fired sloppy
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

LS fired sloppy
Damn ... karma is a bioche sometimes ... three cheers for karma!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

LS fired sloppy
Well he was there all weekend unfortunately. His name was Jim though I'm sure it's the same jerk. Drives around in a little white "Laguna" truck. Early 50's, short and fat with a moustache. He placed the portable meter on the very edge of the track on the left side at the top of T7. There are written rules stating the meter must be X feet from the center of the track and this meter was about half that distance. Something like 18 cars violated sound but we won that battle when it was pointed out that the meter location was in error. Complete dick all weekend and I hope he's really gone....
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 AM
tford
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Well he was there all weekend unfortunately. His name was Jim though I'm sure it's the same jerk. Drives around in a little white "Laguna" truck. Early 50's, short and fat with a moustache. He placed the portable meter on the very edge of the track on the left side at the top of T7. There are written rules stating the meter must be X feet from the center of the track and this meter was about half that distance. Something like 18 cars violated sound but we won that battle when it was pointed out that the meter location was in error. Complete dick all weekend and I hope he's really gone....
Yup, that's the clown. His name may not be Joe, but he's as sloppy as sloppy comes. Other names that come to mind: Lame James, Jimbo the Bimbo, Grim Jim, Sound Clown, Meter Beater....
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Man, tough crowd.

Completely agree about LS and sound limits and the neighbors. Also like a lot of the people commenting here. But also have to say I've dealt with the guy being discussed here on several occasions and found him to be a real Porsche fan, a nice (!) guy, and one of the best I've dealt with at LS — at least from my interactions with him. He went out of his way to help JvO and me on a test many of you enjoyed and then, on his own time, made a photo possible just because he likes Porsches. Needed no thanks, and he is no idiot.

So, I gotta say I am sorry to hear all this. Of course, I can't speak to the events referred to here. I wasn't there. Maybe he got the metering wrong, but I am sure all of us have gotten something wrong in our work before — and I am also pretty sure he must be under tremendous pressure to keep LS available for use in the long term future. Last time I was at LS, I ran into the sound limits and got called on it — but I didn't get the sense that the guy took pleasure in enforcing the rules. I sensed that he likes loud, fast cars as much as any of us. Probably why he chose to work there in retirement.

All that said, the cars are getting really loud. I'll never forget the difference between the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 at Infineon when we tested them back to back there. I couldn't believe how loud the 997 was. I loved it, but I've also noticed some of these cars are so loud that I find myself turning down the exhaust to run just a bit more "incognito" out in the back country. Much as I enjoy the noise (and that's a lot...), I know there are those who sure don't...and I want to keep being able to play with fast cars.

Just my two cents, please don't shoot me!

pete
Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
All that said, the cars are getting really loud. I'll never forget the difference between the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 at Infineon when we tested them back to back there. I couldn't believe how loud the 997 was. I loved it, but I've also noticed some of these cars are so loud that I find myself turning down the exhaust to run just a bit more "incognito" out in the back country. Much as I enjoy the noise (and that's a lot...), I know there are those who sure don't...and I want to keep being able to play with fast cars.

Just my two cents, please don't shoot me!

pete
I'm against LS noise rules, in principle, but I am also in favor of reasonable exhaust noise levels. Cars do not run faster just because they are loud. Theoretically, the opposite is true, and practically, altered back-pressure may confuse engine management.

I, for one, like a discrete exhaust. Stealth is good. I guess I've grown up long ago.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM
tford
Advanced

This pretty much sums it up:

http://www.thecalifornian.com/articl...WS01/108200313
Old 08-30-2011, 01:32 PM
IRguy
Instructor

A close friend of mine recently moved to CA not far from LS and was trying to get a house close to the track so he can be on the track as much as possible. He visted the area several times when the track had heavy traffic and the sound was not loud at all according him.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't you guys miss the days when race cars were dangerous and unprotected sex was safe?

My car will never see Laguna again with the 997 cup muffler...
Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was there all weekend and 92 db' is just too low.. 98-102 is the sweet spot imo.. when stock cars dont pass its bull ****....

I will say Jim is VERY nice and accommodating "IF" you are nice to him.... Im sure he gets branded.. the bad guy but.. he was very nice with us on (non sound issues)

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Warning