Laguna Seca Warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Texas ... not my cup of tea. I will put up with some sound limit to stay in CA
At least we can buy Premium unleaded here in Texas.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
At least we can buy Premium unleaded here in Texas.
When I tow my Cup car back from Texas I was amazed that 87 gas cost $2 and change. It was super cheap too through NV, AZ. Once I cross the border price hike up to $4 a gallon ... now that's California love
Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tford
Now, you guys have me worried that I'm going to have the same problem at Thunderhill. A stock GT3 got nailed for blowing the new db limit there? Frickin'-a, were the cows being disturbed or what? I might have to move to Texas, no db limit, no state taxes, and no granolas.
At ECR and MSR (both tracks are within 90 minutes of Dallas), there are no noise limits.

No state income tax

No annual taxes assessed on cars. Registration fee is $50 to $70 per year.

Very few Granolas

Legal to carry a firearm with a CHL (in case anyone complains about noise)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes me want to go and run around the neighborhoods near the track with a catless exhaust. I hate the dB limit at Laguna.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even lowly pacific raceways outside of Seattle is inching towards Laguna Seca insanity

No noise restriction a year or two ago and now restricted on Mondays and Tuesdays - no modified exhausts... This is simply the beginning of restriction coming to all days... Apparently meth labs require a noise pollution free environment

Oregon raceway park - no restriction :-)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
Would my 996 GT3 with a totally stock intake and exhaust not pass sound at LaGOONa? I never wanted more sound, just more speed. My car is very quiet even at 8,000 in 3rd.
My friend and I have 996 GT3s that pass LS sound every time with the stock exhaust. Think people with 997 GT3s need to do a trick with a plug to a tube inside engine compartment.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thankfully, pretty soon we will be racing and running track days on high-performance-electric cars.

No more 100 lbs and 100+ db mufflers, no more running out of fuel, just plug it in between track sessions.

How about a Tesla Roadster S, with Exige Cup wheels/slicks and Exige Cup LSD and track prep?

My stock Fiat produces 103 db at WOT, bone stock, perfectly legal for highway use and to scare neighborhoods, not as loud as the everyday lawnmowers across U.S., but still too loud for Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, even SCCA autocrosses.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

green
tree huggers
recycle
noise reduction
petrol is pollution
what is going on?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by blake
Sad, but true...

I once had a girlfriend (back in 2000) in San Francisco who was an "Environmental Consultant". Driving down the 101 to Gilroy, we noticed a single tree on the top of a lush green hill (still there btw). She commented, "what a beautiful visual resource". I asked her what the hell was a 'visual resource'? She noted that it was any unique feature of a landscape that people would identify as attractive... I pressed her on this, and asked if the owner of that land could cut down that tree to burn the wood to heat his home to warm his family during a cold winter...

"No - because the law protects that resource for everyone to enjoy"

I'll never forget that story. I think we need to change some laws....

Sorry to hear about LS. It's such a landmark track - it needs to be fought for...

-B
glad you dumped her or she dumped you.
visual resources? only us full of sh*t architects talk like that and i admit that's all bull crap i feed my clients.

resources to enjoy? when you pay over $1MM trying to prove to Crop of fk'gneer that red legged frog and salamanders do not exist on your site.... you dont want anyone to enjoy anything.

rad is right. i need tesla and pretend to be green.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Thankfully, pretty soon we will be racing and running track days on high-performance-electric cars.

No more 100 lbs and 100+ db mufflers, no more running out of fuel, just plug it in between track sessions.
You mean... time between track sessions is a minimum of 5 hours?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i wonder how long a tesla roadster would go at full tilt at Laguna Seca? 8 laps? then rest of day recharging to get probably 4 laps before the track closes?

wouldn't exhaust pipes pointed down work ok for sound police roaming on left side of track?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

How about a Tesla Roadster S, with Exige Cup wheels/slicks and Exige Cup LSD and track prep?

My stock Fiat produces 103 db at WOT, bone stock, perfectly legal for highway use and to scare neighborhoods, not as loud as the everyday lawnmowers across U.S., but still too loud for Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, even SCCA autocrosses.
Izzone drove a Tesla $100k. It be OK at say $40K, but did not like how it drove.

I'm test driving the Fisker Karma next week just to see the styling, but is is similar technlogy as Chevy Volt, just faster.. It would be luxury not to have to gas up at the pump. But I expect a $100K car that does what gasoline counterparts do for half the price, although this one might make it look way cool. I plan to deplete battery ASAP to show wifey this is not the way to go, she is starting to speak some tree hugging language lately, maybe a pushback for making her gas up 2x a week with a 12MPG coupe.

Since I have Natural Gas at home, I would like a car my wife can just fuel up on natural gas a home, Honda had these "place at home Natural Gas filler kits" supplied with a Civic, but who wants a Civic these days and they did not offer it in Florida, only in tree huggin' California I think. Probably half the gasoline cars in countries like Holland and UK run on Natural Gas; I know my dad's Caddilac SRX does. You'd never know it. Clean and cheap. I wonder why they hide this over here, except for some goverment buses, etc.

Where I live almost everyday someone is getting their lawn done any given day of the week and I agree that is the worst form of sound pollution. Crazy that those things don't come with some normal mufflers, they produce sucha bad quality of engine sound. I see plenty of whisper quiet or nice sounding application of lawnmover style engines...
Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Ferdie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Is there a sound or speed limit at Nürburgring?
I am afraid there is some kind of noise regulation at the Nürburgring as well nowadays but not to the same extent. The residents know about the importance of the Ring which once was established to raise the economy there.

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Same as what they did with homes around airports a couple of decades ago - get in cheap, change the rules and wait for the home values go up.
Same thing happens at my hometown, where the airport and airship base are located, established in the 1920ies. Several residents bought houses in the past few decades and started to take proceedings against the noise. So far they managed to stay open but for how long? Not only in the US...
Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there is a big crowd of full track cars (Porsche Owners Club) heading to Laguna Seca for this weekend, let's see what happens. We changed the exhausts on all of our cars, so it will be interesting to see the results. Last year we were all OK, but....
Old 08-26-2011, 03:13 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

damn fat finger reter. how many times did you post this

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Warning