Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

wow this is really sad to hear;( Thanks for the heads up...
Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

f*ck LS ... its a sad little loop of a track ... what "sloppy joe" perhaps does not realize is that if all the track days go away and its just events and SBRC then heads are likely to roll there and he may be out of a pretty comfortable job...

I do not see how noise reduction measures are "cheating" if the aim is to reduce noise ...

sounds like HOD needs to have a chat with LS mgmt .. this guy sounds like a classic "small ***** in a large uniform" to me...
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tford
Hey guys, was at Laguna Seca today in my '11 GT3 RS. I was essentially kicked off the track for having the "Laguna Pipes" because according to Joe, who is a lackey at Laguna Seca, I was "cheating". I've had the car at Laguna five other times with the same configuration and never had a problem. They nicked another GT3 RS, a few BMW's and two GTR's as well. They claim they have new portable sound devices around the track in addition to the booth at Turn 5, per a new Monterey County ordinance. I have my doubts as to whether it's true, as this guy "Joe" at Laguna Seca likes to play loose with the facts. In any event, be prepared.
Not being familiar with Langua Seca (live in Europe) could you tell me what the "Laguna Pipes" are?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Not being familiar with Langua Seca (live in Europe) could you tell me what the "Laguna Pipes" are?
lucky man!

HERE THEY ARE: http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=281
Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

LOL

Now I understand why the guy calls it cheating.

In a way it is

And don't worry. We have our share to noise restrictions too. The Zolder racetrack is notorious for it. 95 dB maximum, measured permanently around the track (on both sides so this stuff won't help). You can forget any aftermarket exhaust there. Even stock GT3 exhausts are too loud.

I can only say:

I haven't got anything against noise limits because if there aren't any there will always be people feeling the necessity of driving around without mufflers, producing 120dB, which is completely overkill on a street car imo, but they should NEVER ban anyone driving a standard car that is homologated for the road. It's just ridiculous that I can get into trouble on the racetrack with my car, however I can drive all I want in the streets next to the racetrack, with the same, stock, exhaust.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
LOL

Now I understand why the guy calls it cheating.

In a way it is

And don't worry. We have our share to noise restrictions too. The Zolder racetrack is notorious for it. 95 dB maximum, measured permanently around the track (on both sides so this stuff won't help). You can forget any aftermarket exhaust there. Even stock GT3 exhausts are too loud.

I can only say:

I haven't got anything against noise limits because if there aren't any there will always be people feeling the necessity of driving around without mufflers, producing 120dB, which is completely overkill on a street car imo, but they should NEVER ban anyone driving a standard car that is homologated for the road. It's just ridiculous that I can get into trouble on the racetrack with my car, however I can drive all I want in the streets next to the racetrack, with the same, stock, exhaust.
perhaps all us LS locals should just to that up and down the roads outside the tracks neighbors!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rodjac
Thanks for the heads up on Laguna sound. Just ordered a set of supertraps to go on the end of my Laguna pipes. Don't know how hard it is to get the number of disks adjusted correctly but I will try to get it worked out before PCA in September
I use 4" Supertraps and they have worked great for me on both my 996 GT3 cup and on this 3.4 996. I use 90 degree elbows turned towards the left with the Supertraps and 10 plates.....

Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jrgordonsenior:

Thanks for the supertrap information. Now I have a good starting point on the number of plates. This is for a GT2 so I ordered the five inch traps. Will mount them on my curved pipes just like your picture.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:22 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Is there a sound or speed limit at Nürburgring? Do we prohibit alcohol at NASCAR events or ban politician from lying their teeth off? Sound police, roving sound meter at a race track is like having a kiss/groping police at a prom. Might as well holding a high school dance at Folsom prison so the guard can shoot your brain off if you touch your date.

Laguna Seca ... no longer the fame race track it once was and will go down the tube like many iconic USA symbols thanks to the paranoid demented social security recipients got nothing to contribute to society other than whine. Another signs of this stupid country's down fall from great. I will unhitch my Tundera and drive it on the track if they flag me for sound.

"Bring your minivan and pick up truck for a fantastic day at Laguna Seca" ... that's sex!
tell em brother! the fall of yet another empire....
Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
perhaps all us LS locals should just to that up and down the roads outside the tracks neighbors!
a GREAT idea!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I can understand the complaints from residents if the track was built after they bought their homes. However, these morons knew they were buying a home near a racetrack. They shouldn't have bought the home! Does LS just lay back and take it, or do they ever fight back? It just doesn't seem right to me. This kind of crap is happening even at thunderhill, which is in the middle of nowhere!! My friend got black flagged at thill with his STOCK GT3 for going over the 102db limit. That was BS.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take an esky (cooler) full of beer to the track. readings will appear to be less.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I can understand the complaints from residents if the track was built after they bought their homes. However, these morons knew they were buying a home near a racetrack. They shouldn't have bought the home!
Same as what they did with homes around airports a couple of decades ago - get in cheap, change the rules and wait for the home values go up.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

If you cant run a sharky track exhaust the track is too strict

Peter.....lets take the dodge there and blow the "wake the dead" horn. Those rich bastards will get a rude awakening to Florida rednecks
Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
I am not so sure the surrounding residents have that much legal power. The track was there and in use well before they moved in. They are lawyering the situation, but are we? We need a legal team capable of coming up with a bunch of good arguments - including the social values of the track, including open space and other 'eco' arguments.
Your statements make good common sense, but unfortunately common sense is not the law. You can buy cheap land next to a hog farm, build a house, and then complain about the smell. Its the law. The hog farm will have to shut down and move. Really.

BTW, the noise restriction for PCA in September will be 90 db, down 2 db from 92 db. Difficult for GT3's to achieve, even with the Laguna Seca electronic mod.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Warning