Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: What run group are you with?
Green
3.37%
Yellow
3.37%
Yellow-solo (Blue)
13.48%
White
8.99%
Black
21.35%
Red
39.33%
Got fed up with PCA, running elsewhere now
10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

What run group are you with PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

6 run groups with PCA? I assume 2 groups on track during each session? Are 6 really necessary?

I agree with Chin being the most professional and fun. They put together a great event and the participants are usually well informed and dont jump from the less experienced groups to advanced groups without being qualified to do so. Sufficient track time as well.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
PCA events are generally great in my area, at Mid Ohio. Many regions come here and will usually have open lapping on Friday- which is a blast. Lots of track time on those days.
Yes the friday Mid O lapping with PCA is a great deal. I have a to shout out for Nord Stern PCA when I was @ RA. A four mile track with 33 cars was awesome. Overall though I would rather run Chin, HOD, Turn One @ CMP as they give a much better amount of lap time per $$$ and more liberal passing rules. As for the poll I am usually PCA white except @ Barber with PCA when they said I was now a big boy and had to run advanced.

Peter
Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I can't imagine not continuing to do PCA events, if only to pay back the debt I owe for the years of free instruction which I received from PCA instructors who came before. I also really enjoy instructing. In my area, the PCA events are cheaper than the proprietary programs and I think they are better run, at least in terms of managing instructed drivers and promoting them appropriately. Sure, you might get more track time at an event which is all or mostly open track and limited to faster drivers, but I've noticed at such events that, by the end no one is driving. Everyone is just shot from track time and people are loading up their trailers at lunch time on day 2 or 3. Mixing in student groups varies the day and keeps you interested until the end. But back to the loyalty issue, if you bail on instructing, who will instruct the next incarnation of you?
+100

Hangin' with people who bring this sort of positive attitude & volunteerism to the track is another benefit of running with PCA (out here in NorCal too).
Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rceron
Not true. Do some more research. Check out Chin, Kojote, Group52, or David Murry, for example.
speaking of Kojote club - rules say: This event is for advanced drivers only. These include car club (PCA, BMW, FOC, etc.) approved instructors & advanced run group drivers in good standing, and drivers with active racing licenses (FIA, HSR, SVRA, IMSA, SCCA, PCA, etc.), also in good standing.

What exactly do they understand as 'advanced run group' in the sentence above? Black only or white/black?

Google does not find much about Group52 and David Murry (other than reference in Kojote for David) - are there any links you can share?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
speaking of Kojote club - rules say: This event is for advanced drivers only. These include car club (PCA, BMW, FOC, etc.) approved instructors & advanced run group drivers in good standing, and drivers with active racing licenses (FIA, HSR, SVRA, IMSA, SCCA, PCA, etc.), also in good standing.

What exactly do they understand as 'advanced run group' in the sentence above?

Google does not find much about Group52 and David Murry (other than reference in Kojote for David) - are there any links you can share?
Each group will have their own general guidelines for what "advanced" is, but here is the Oregon PCA's criteria as one example:

http://www.oregonpca.org/events/high...ualifications/

Our region has 4 run groups that I'm aware of (been a while since I was there): novice, intermediate 1, intermediate 2 and advanced/instructor.

At home I'm in advanced, but when I venture to other regions at tracks I'm not totally familiar with, then I'm in an intermediate group or sometimes I'll even sign up for "novice". So I didn't bother voting in your poll.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake951
In the Northeast there is the COM Sports Car Club (COMSCC): http://www.comscc.org/. It used to be known as "Corvettes of Massachusetts", but now Corvettes are a small minority and the club is open to all makes. There are always a few Porsche's there. They run a HPDE program similar to PCA (5 run groups, point-by passing rules, etc.), except that advancement tends to be quicker. They also run a time trial program for drivers signed off for solo. I've done a few events with them and they seem like a good group.
Thanks John, I did some AX events with them but totally forgot even to check if they had DEs too. That`s nice to know. Hopefully in next 1-2 events I will conclude my 'second tier' check-out ride into blue group with NER and will try to contact COM club, it probably should be easier to arrange to run with them with 'finalized' solo status. It seems to take ages to go over all those formalities these days, I was signed off to solo 7/14th and even after 2 subsequent events it is still a trick to get all those formalities concluded. Truly an amazing bureaucracy, but, i guess, what can you do... Last event I did my 3rd consequent succesful check-out ride into solo after that initial sign-off but still, it is not official. Before that - in th beginning of the season to get all the paperwork moved for green to yellow group advancement took 2 months.
Plus, as I was told recently - it all was supposed to be fun, apparently.

Fun.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Each group will have their own general guidelines for what "advanced" is, but here is the Oregon PCA's criteria as one example:

http://www.oregonpca.org/events/high...ualifications/

Our region has 4 run groups that I'm aware of (been a while since I was there): novice, intermediate 1, intermediate 2 and advanced/instructor.

At home I'm in advanced, but when I venture to other regions at tracks I'm not totally familiar with, then I'm in an intermediate group or sometimes I'll even sign up for "novice". So I didn't bother voting in your poll.
interesting, i always assumed any PCA club uses 6 step ladder.
SCDA uses same 4 step system and I am in intermediate 2 with them, so far. it will take some time and coaching to get higher... hopefully next season.
could anybody recommend good coaches here in MA/CT/NY area?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks John, I did some AX events with them but totally forgot even to check if they had DEs too. That`s nice to know. Hopefully in next 1-2 events I will conclude my 'second tier' check-out ride into blue group with NER and will try to contact COM club, it probably should be easier to arrange to run with them with 'finalized' solo status. It seems to take ages to go over all those formalities these days, I was signed off to solo 7/14th and even after 2 subsequent events it is still a trick to get all those formalities concluded. Truly an amazing bureaucracy, but, i guess, what can you do... Last event I did my 3rd consequent succesful check-out ride into solo after that initial sign-off but still, it is not official. Before that - in th beginning of the season to get all the paperwork moved for green to yellow group advancement took 2 months.
Plus, as I was told recently - it all was supposed to be fun, apparently.

Fun.
Many of these clubs are run by volunteers (limited time) and they want to make sure the students are classed properly. So sometimes it might take a little time to fully sign someone off, especially if they feel that the person is a borderline case. Also, in my area, there are some car clubs that have a rather "interesting" way of classifying people. Stuff like "Even though he has never been on a track before, he has a GT-R so let's put him in advanced because his car can go fast." Yes, stuff like this happens out there. (not in our PCA region - it is run *very* well)

Don't be in a rush to advance to solo. Embrace each DE with instruction as another opportunity to learn something from someone who has much more experience than you. After a while, you'll be very glad you were exposed to a variety of instructors because you will learn something from all of them.

Cheers,
Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

not sure, it is probably more an issue with my mentality. I would prefer to go to open track day with a private coach and work on my own schedule rather than wait for an hour for my run group just to be permanently stuck behind a train again as track got too many cars on them than it can handle. i would rather pay $1K a day but would get proper results than to do $250 a day but leave frustrated.

when you ride lime rock and have to go into pits 4 times during one single 20min session to brake free from a train whre no one gives a point by to anyone it gets to your nerves in the end.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

when you ride lime rock and have to go into pits 4 times during one single 20min session to brake free from a train whre no one gives a point by to anyone it gets to your nerves in the end.
Were you at Lime Rock with NCR on 8/15 (the really rainy day)? There were rivers of water running across the track at times and there were some major trains as people were crawling through the corners.

Check out COMSCC. I got signed off for solo after just 3 events with them.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake951
Were you at Lime Rock with NCR on 8/15 (the really rainy day)? There were rivers of water running across the track at times and there were some major trains as people were crawling through the corners.

Check out COMSCC. I got signed off for solo after just 3 events with them.
yep, i was there on 8/15, actually all my events this season except early may were at lime rock. i tried to find you but it was too wet to wander around much... i like it, it is fun track, especially with SCDA where you get all 5 passing zones and people are actually looking into their mirrors...

i am going to be there again Aug 29th with SCDA, hopefully hurricane will be done Sunday afternoon and track will dry out by Mondy morning.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:12 PM
James A
Advanced

The Houston PCA (Lone Star Region) is a terrific group of volunteers and really gives a lot of time and attention to the student drivers. But no black group though.
Having said this my son and I joined MSR Houston so we can run the track when we want, got our competition license for SCCA and are mixing it up!
But in terms of HPDE I can't imagine a better group than the Houston PCA crowd!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

i can`t really say anything bad about any club I ran with so far. NCR, NER, CVR, Metro NY, Hudson valley - all people who are crazy enough about this sport are top notch, may be not without their own oddities, but who is perfect?
My wife thinks all those people who go to drive cars instead of sitting home and watching TV are plain crazy, but who cares?
Still, I would say, best solution would be if MA and NH got at least 2 new tracks built to spread the load a bit. It is an only annoying part - to have a bit more local options as 6+ hour drives to a track like WG or any NJ locations is a major pain in the butt. And local NHMS and Lime Rock are always crowded, no matter what venue to choose.

I hope NHMS will really finish up that new track they supposedly started on this summer. Who knows.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Rceron
Racer

It is an only annoying part - to have a bit more local options as 6+ hour drives to a track like WG or any NJ locations is a major pain in the butt. .
Yes, and this is why you should choose wisely in terms of clubs. I trailer a car 11 hours several times a year just to go to VIR. Will basically only run with groups that have open track formats, otherwise it's a waste of time. I'm certainly not the only one that travels these types of distances. Ibelieve at the last David Murry event at VIR there was a group from Canada there. Now that's a long drive....
Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by James A
The Houston PCA (Lone Star Region) is a terrific group of volunteers and really gives a lot of time and attention to the student drivers. But no black group though.
Having said this my son and I joined MSR Houston so we can run the track when we want, got our competition license for SCCA and are mixing it up!
But in terms of HPDE I can't imagine a better group than the Houston PCA crowd!
We appreciate your comments. We run at TWS in college station which is a 15 turn, 2.9 mile course. Our seven annual DE events (one of those is managed by the Hill Country Region), pretty much sell out. In my opinion, this success is directly attributable to our outstanding instructors and volunteer corps. The next event is Sept 17-18 and space is still available in the advanced groups. Hotel rooms are a bit short though as that's a Texas A&M home football weekend. Check www.lsrpca.com

FWIW, I run in the Advanced group, but it's White for us - we go green, blue, blue-solo, yellow, white and red.

Quick Reply: What run group are you with PCA?