Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: What run group are you with?
Green
3.37%
Yellow
3.37%
Yellow-solo (Blue)
13.48%
White
8.99%
Black
21.35%
Red
39.33%
Got fed up with PCA, running elsewhere now
10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

What run group are you with PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Chin rocks other than the crowded run groups. 90 people is a ****load for 3 run groups
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90 is nothing compared to how many pca will let into an event. you'll see 150 cars registered at some events. zone 2 pca at VIR has had the best track time out of any pca group that ive run with, especially when i ran in the DE group at their club race
AM- 2 45 min sessions/ PM- 3 30 min sessions for a 3 day weekend.

on sunday by lunch i was wore out and packed up to head back home
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Originally Posted by jenk12m
90 is nothing compared to how many pca will let into an event. you'll see 150 cars registered at some events. zone 2 pca at VIR has had the best track time out of any pca group that ive run with, especially when i ran in the DE group at their club race
AM- 2 45 min sessions/ PM- 3 30 min sessions for a 3 day weekend.

on sunday by lunch i was wore out and packed up to head back home

Glad you enjoyed the events.....

Mike

VIR Zone 2 DE Chief Instructor (March)
VIR Zone 2 Club Race Event Chair (June)
Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Chin rocks other than the crowded run groups. 90 people is a ****load for 3 run groups
It is blue that is busy

Get moved to Red and it is clear sailing for the most part
Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 PM
jenk12m
Banned

red run group with chin is awesome
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 221 Posts

I enjoy the PCA events in the North East. They can get a bit crowded but most organizations here tend to overbook the track days. I am guessing that cost of track rental drives this overbooking.....$10 k a day or more plus money for first aid squad. Private rentals are great but very difficult as tracks like The Glen and LimeRock are booked way in advance and other clubs like MMC are now exclusive to members or some rare invite only for a grand a day and NJMP reserves 30 or so member days plus several spectator events.

I might be wrong but I believe point bys are required for certain insurance coverage for the organizers. I know my personal track day insurance excludes or require additional premium once you move to open passing.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine not continuing to do PCA events, if only to pay back the debt I owe for the years of free instruction which I received from PCA instructors who came before. I also really enjoy instructing. In my area, the PCA events are cheaper than the proprietary programs and I think they are better run, at least in terms of managing instructed drivers and promoting them appropriately. Sure, you might get more track time at an event which is all or mostly open track and limited to faster drivers, but I've noticed at such events that, by the end no one is driving. Everyone is just shot from track time and people are loading up their trailers at lunch time on day 2 or 3. Mixing in student groups varies the day and keeps you interested until the end. But back to the loyalty issue, if you bail on instructing, who will instruct the next incarnation of you?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

the very fast group where we do flat out bump drafting.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I can't imagine not continuing to do PCA events, if only to pay back the debt I owe for the years of free instruction which I received from PCA instructors who came before. I also really enjoy instructing. In my area, the PCA events are cheaper than the proprietary programs and I think they are better run, at least in terms of managing instructed drivers and promoting them appropriately. Sure, you might get more track time at an event which is all or mostly open track and limited to faster drivers, but I've noticed at such events that, by the end no one is driving. Everyone is just shot from track time and people are loading up their trailers at lunch time on day 2 or 3. Mixing in student groups varies the day and keeps you interested until the end. But back to the loyalty issue, if you bail on instructing, who will instruct the next incarnation of you?
+1

I do my local pca de events to instruct, I feel it is a debt I owe

Don't always do all sessions with pca, enjoy the beer after though
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
I enjoy the PCA events in the North East. They can get a bit crowded but most organizations here tend to overbook the track days.
SCDA is less crowded than PCA events and passing is imho more civil... All in all PCA cannot be beat for educational standpoint but sometimes indeed it feels that there are way too many people out there at a same time.

BUt what other venues can one use? BMW club is not much better than PCA imho. To go into open track days one would need racing license - it is a PITA to go over trouble to get one just to be able to go for open track. What else?

I never ran with SCCA ona track but I beleive they do not even have DEs, only racing?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

I truly enjoy PCA events and appreciate the introduction to the sport. I also like the idea of having people on the track that I can anticipate what they're going to do. PCA does a good job of training drivers that track etiquette. That's what makes DE's safer than driving around town - other than the speed

Our PCA region, Peachstate, does not utilize colors. I'll assume 1 = Green and 5 = Red
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I have to instruct w PCA, some idiot a long time ago was willing to get in the car with me and instruct me, so I have to give back. Besides, our PCA region has open passing for instructors and plenty of tracktime except for the most crowded winter months
Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
BUt what other venues can one use? BMW club is not much better than PCA imho. To go into open track days one would need racing license - it is a PITA to go over trouble to get one just to be able to go for open track. What else?
In the Northeast there is the COM Sports Car Club (COMSCC): http://www.comscc.org/. It used to be known as "Corvettes of Massachusetts", but now Corvettes are a small minority and the club is open to all makes. There are always a few Porsche's there. They run a HPDE program similar to PCA (5 run groups, point-by passing rules, etc.), except that advancement tends to be quicker. They also run a time trial program for drivers signed off for solo. I've done a few events with them and they seem like a good group.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

PCA events are generally great in my area, at Mid Ohio. Many regions come here and will usually have open lapping on Friday- which is a blast. Lots of track time on those days.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by utkinpol
To go into open track days one would need racing license - it is a PITA to go over trouble to get one just to be able to go for open track.
Not true. Do some more research. Check out Chin, Kojote, Group52, or David Murry, for example.

Quick Reply: What run group are you with PCA?