Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCNA and Porsche AG Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default PCNA and Porsche AG Help Needed

Posting this here since you guys seem very connected and post actively...

A good friend recently got moved to Germany and was lucky enough to take his new 997 C4S with him. The bad news is that when he went to TUV to get his German certification/registration, the build sticker (with VIN, build date, color codes, etc.) was missing. Obviously TUV failed his inspection.

He called his dealer and PCNA with no traction. In fact, when he called PCNA, they basically told him to pound sand and passed him back to his dealer (Porsche of Annapolis). Needless to say, he's a bit pissed, considering he spent his own money to get his car shipped over there.

If any of you guys have a point of contact that can get things done at Porsche AG and/or PCNA, I would really appreciate the info. Additionally, I would love it if someone could provide me the best addresses at Porsche AG and PCNA to send mail to rectify this issue. It's embarrassing that Porsche decided to ignore a long-time (30+ year) Porsche fan.

PMs are preferred - thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Chris: This is surprising. If you are referring to the Vin # with date of production, that is in driver's door jam as you well know. However, it doesn't have color codes or any other 'options' information. The car's 'color code' normally is found inside fuel access cover. Actual codes for all options on a particular car are found (in US cars at least) on back of front hood on brand new cars as delivered. This sticker is pretty flimsy and could have easily been taken off by car detailers, etc. This 'as built' sticker is not meant to be permanent...unless the owner wants it to remain there after purchase. It is not required by DMV (nor TuV) after initial delivery.

The VIN on the driver's door jam is the principal 'sticker' that PAG puts on US market cars that alert Customs & DMV officials that this particular model meets Model Year DOT requirements, Emissions standards, etc. It is meant to be tamper-proof. If it removed, covered up, painted over, etc, it will raise a red flag. There are other 'stickers' found in various compartments of the car and are also market specific (e.g different in Canada, China, etc).

Which specific sticker do you think is (or are) missing from this 'new' 997 C4S? Has his car ever been in an accident and certain parts replaced or painted? Saludos, z356

Last edited by Z356; 08-07-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the car to a Porsche dealer in Germany., let them sort out the problem. If not far from Zuffenhausen, take it to the factory dealership and TALK NICELY to the folk there, I'm afraid indignant people of a foreign persuasion are often regarded as 'good for a laugh' in Germany.

R+C
Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys. My friend needed the build sticker (the one inside the door jamb) to get his TUV certification/registration. Apparently the dealer had a change of heart and are helping him, but things are dragging on. I've suggested he go to the factory to discuss it (his wife is an excellent German speaker and he's not shabby - nor is he an "ugly American"), but I think he's reluctant.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: PCNA and Porsche AG Help Needed