Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Review: Goodyear Eagle RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Goodyear Eagle RS

I've been meaning to post a few reviews on Nacho Libre as I've been getting some seat time recently, but just haven't had the time. I just posted a response on the Formula 43 wheels, so what better time to share my thoughts on the Goodyear Eagle RS.

When it came to tires, I was choosing between a few different track tires (mainly R888, R6 and the Eagle RS). No one had tried out the Goodyears yet on the forums and there was some speculation on the tires. I happen to know the GY rep in the area pretty well and he got me a set to try out, so I opted to give them a shot.

Sizing:
The spec of the tires looks to be similar to the R6, but they're a little different. The first thing we noticed is that the compound was harder than the R6 (70 as opposed to 50). This suggested a bit more life as speculated by some of us. The next thing I noticed is that the 335 rear is HUGE! You can see on the picture above that the tire is bulging a bit...we actually had to raise the car up 10mm to get the sucker in there and prevent serious scraping. In my opinion its just not the right size for the RS. The front 245 actually fits pretty well as you can see below.

Performance:
I had to get the temp/pressure dialed in during my first few sessions, but once I figured it out, I had good grip. It wasn't Hoosier grip, but it is a seriously sticky tire. However, I don't think the sizes are great for the RS, as I felt the car was facing understeer issues mainly due to the inbalance of F/R width. The fronts are too narrow and the rear too wide which caused an odd feeling at the limit.

Wear:
Well, I'm nearly corded on the rears after only 8 heat cycles . No initial heat cycle and cool down period. I think that's doesn't say much for the GY tire. I would have expected at least 12-15 hc's.

Verdict:
A stack of Hoosiers are waiting to get mounted.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much rear camber?
Thanks for trying them
Corded after 8 hc is ridiculous
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-2.4 I think...I'll double check my sheet at home.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:57 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are they made?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:11 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Where are they made?
the wheels? -- Michigan
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The RS tires - Germany or US or ?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

GoodYear launched two compounds, one for autocross and one for road racing/de/track day championships.

The autocross compound has been tested by a few lucky ones. The tire is competitive against the Hoosier A6, but there are availability problems. I would give them a try if the supply and autocross results could show more potential and consistency. The specs are available, they are molded bigger than the stamped width.

Thanks for the review on the road compound.

On my end, I'm way too happy with Hoosier A6 and their marketing and sales staff. I can run autocrosses competitively, then use them for track days and run them until they have no more grip. I have not corded A6 in ages.

Quick Reply: Review: Goodyear Eagle RS