Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone hear about Formula 43 (wheel makers)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone hear about Formula 43 (wheel makers)?

I understand they've taken three-piece wheel manufacturing to another level.

http://www.formula43.com/

I did a search in this forum and nothing came up so just wondering if any of you track nutz have taken a more serious look. I understand they have a key player from Fikse and upped their game.

I was checking out the HRE C90s the other day in person and didn't like how the inner rim has no rolled edge whatsoever. It looks to simply jut out, straight cut? Why?

I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever else I wouldn't have gotten the Champion RG5s!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:24 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, heard of them....
Lots of copy cat designs from Fikse. Not sure what "another level" you are referring to??? There aren't too many secrets in the aftermarket forged wheel business.....
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Only seen there advertising in Excellence and lately on some forums. Never seen there wheels in person or heard of any race teams or other track guys useing them.

I see that they make Center Lock wheels so I looked at them on the website but since this seems to be a relatively new company I'm not comfortable spending hard earned money to take one for the team and try them out at the track.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim Fikse's new company is what I heard
He sold fikse to the Canadians and started formula 43

To me their wheels look basically the same as fikses and cost more

I am not sure what specifically you are referring to when you say that f43 "has taken it to another level"...

I have seen a couple sets locally and they look fine - RLer brim has a set and I know he is pleased.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

I used to run a set of Fikse FM10s and enjoyed them or felt I got my money's worth.

If you talk to some of the motorsport guys (guys who get paid to do this sorta racing thing), they may have some things to share as to why the newer products just may be better than others as it's all in the details.

On a related note, don't we have to pay duty fees for all things imported from Canada? I just haven't gotten a quote from either company and likely won't for a while, but who knows. I'm hoping we have more options out there so will keep an eye out for F43.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

I'll chime in here with the full disclosure that my car will be used in the Formula 43 upcoming marketing material.

I came across these wheels by way of my local shop, Cantrell Motorsports, who has been using these wheels on customer cars for a while now. I had been scouring the market looking for the "right" wheel for my application. Basically, I wanted a lightweight track wheel that would stand up to abuse and be a good track application. I looked at everything out there and feel there are good options across a large price range. On one end you have BBS 3 piece wheels for outlandish money and on the other hand you have the OZ wheels on tirerack for much less.

After hearing the horror stories with the Tech-1 wheel that Forged Alloys was selling, I decided to drill a bit deeper into the options I had. I've had track wheels in the past and certainly understand the use scenario and what I was looking for developed a bit.

My evolving criteria:
1. A lightweight 18" wheel with CL application (narrowed to about 5-6 choices)
2. A cost effective solution for the track (narrowed to about 3-4 choices)
3. A quality design team that stands behing their product and offered great customer service (narrowed to 2-3 choices)
4. A build time in less than 6 weeks (narrowed to 2)
5. I ultimately decided a 3 piece wheel would be a better application for me for vatrious reasons (ease of repair & color options) which narrowed the field down to just one manufacturer - Formula 43.

In the end, I got exactly the wheel I wanted in a reasonable time from a great company - so I'm a very happy camper!

In terms of their design being better than the rest, I think it refers to the process used to manufacture the rim halves which is known as Forumla 43.

Highlights: The wheels are light! I really like 3 piece wheels, but don't like exposed hardware, so it's nice that these wheels have hardware on the inside of the wheels. Formula 43 offers a bead blast option on the interior of the rim to prevent slipping of the tire...it seemed to work, after 2 days of tough usage, they were in the same spots, so the weighting was still on the money.

I really think you can't go wrong with the rims these guys are producing, even being a young company, they will stand behind their products and will certainly be seen around more as others discover them. I'm proud to have my car gracing their brochure
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks Brim for the insight on how you picked your wheels.

I've never had 3pc wheels before so I'm thinking for going that way too. You mentioned you decided on a 3pc wheels or easy of repair and color options and that narrowed it down to 1 maunfacture Formula43. You know Forgeline makes 3 piece wheels too and I'm just wondering why you did not consider them or maybe you did and decided not. Would would mind sharing if you considered Forgeline?

thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Here are a few pics of the wheels with Goodyear Eagle RS.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
You know Forgeline makes 3 piece wheels too and I'm just wondering why you did not consider them or maybe you did and decided not. Would would mind sharing if you considered Forgeline?
I've heard good reviews on the Forgeline wheels. At the time, they couldn't produce a set for me in 6 weeks.

Last edited by brim; 08-04-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks Brim...those 43's look really good. I also like the bead blast option they have. I had to have my CCW's blasted.

Do you like the reveresed hardware for looks or is there another reason?

How are those Goodyears working out? I haven't seen Goodyears on a Porsche in years.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks Brim...those 43's look really good. I also like the bead blast option they have. I had to have my CCW's blasted.

Do you like the reveresed hardware for looks or is there another reason?

How are those Goodyears working out? I haven't seen Goodyears on a Porsche in years.
Yes more on the goodyears

I have heard longer life than Hoosier with similar stick
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

I just dislike the looks of hardware on the outside of the rim. I'll post a new thread on GYs.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:25 PM
altonj
Pro

Been in the three piece forged wheel business for a long time, not sure I see anything special there....

Forgeline will also bead blast the shell in the same fashion if you want, same price. But to be frank, it is not required. Just use the proper amount of lube when mounting the tire.....

Time will tell if they stand behind their new wheels, I don't know if Jim is actually involved in the company officially or not, but he sure wasn't standing behind them when his last company went out of business......

That said, I do wish them success. There is plenty of room in the market place for more players who manufacture quality wheels. It is all good for the consumer. Hopefully they find their niche and build a successful company.

If you are shipping wheels from Canada (Fikse) they are NAFTA products so no duty is due when they cross the border.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Alton did you get my Forgeline wheel prices, TPMS and Tires all worked up?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 PM
altonj
Pro

Email comming tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Anyone hear about Formula 43 (wheel makers)?