Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

towing vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:03 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

OP,

I have the same enclosed Trailex and a similar tow vehicle (8-speed Touareg TDI) and pulls great. The diesel never feels burdened and returns a solid 16-17mpg while towing. Though a diesel Ford or GMC pickup would probably be even easier, I'm quite happy with the Touareg TDI because I daily drive it in the city and often have to park and maneuver in tight parking garages. It also drives like a car when not towing so that is something I did not want to give up considering the fact that I only tow the GT3 to tracks 6 times a year or so.

I agree with you on with the poor visibility. Same problem with the Touareg as with your Pepper in that the side mirror housings have an aerodynamic design that makes it nearly impossible to mount a towing mirror. I had a friend modify a **** 11960 towing mirror in order for it to stay attached, so now it works fine.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow with a Yukon XL with 6.2L V8/6 Spd Auto/Load leveling suspension.

Those of you who use a Cayenne/Touraeg - any issues with rear sway since it is such a short wheelbase SUV.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
OP,

I have the same enclosed Trailex and a similar tow vehicle (8-speed Touareg TDI) and pulls great. The diesel never feels burdened and returns a solid 16-17mpg while towing. Though a diesel Ford or GMC pickup would probably be even easier, I'm quite happy with the Touareg TDI because I daily drive it in the city and often have to park and maneuver in tight parking garages. It also drives like a car when not towing so that is something I did not want to give up considering the fact that I only tow the GT3 to tracks 6 times a year or so.

I agree with you on with the poor visibility. Same problem with the Touareg as with your Pepper in that the side mirror housings have an aerodynamic design that makes it nearly impossible to mount a towing mirror. I had a friend modify a **** 11960 towing mirror in order for it to stay attached, so now it works fine.

Have you checked your tounge weight, it looks to be too high
Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Those of you who use a Cayenne/Touraeg - any issues with rear sway since it is such a short wheelbase SUV.
No problems whatsoever. Tows beautifully, but then this enclosed Trailex tows more like an open trailer. Just need to keep the tongue weight heavy enough within spec.

Originally Posted by Izzone
Have you checked your tounge weight, it looks to be too high
Yes, that photo was taken when I first got the trailer, and the car was too far forward. Since then I've acquired a sherline scale and have dialed in the tongue weight by moving the car about 12" further back. All is well now.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
No problems whatsoever. Tows beautifully, but then this enclosed Trailex tows more like an open trailer. Just need to keep the tongue weight heavy enough within spec.

Yes, that photo was taken when I first got the trailer, and the car was too far forward. Since then I've acquired a sherline scale and have dialed in the tongue weight by moving the car about 12" further back. All is well now.
Check.....I had to do the same thing

I tow a Trailex with a BMW X5 Diesel

Quick Reply: towing vehicle