Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MPSC v. Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 completely different tires. unless on the track or agressive summer drive one wont be able to extract the performance. N rated tyre compound is fine for wet and cold/wet drive home.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
p.s. I am concerned that the much taller treadblocks, thicker sidewalls and heavier tire will dumb handling somewhat... time will tell...
As I mentioned on an earlier post on these PSS tires - I didn't nearly like them as much on day 1 as on day 2 - sort of like R888s. On day 1, I was getting into ABS in some brake zones - which I wasn't expecting - on day 2 this was almost 100% better.

My 2 cents, try your hardest to scrub the tires in a parking lot before your first track day - light them up / slide them - get the release agent out.

After you do this, the tires are not 3-4 seconds slower per 2 minute lap in my experience - it is maybe 1 second difference than OE Cup+ tires (maybe less). But this is at Mosport in 75 degree weather - not on a short twistie track at 100 degrees - this is one of the reasons I actually really dislike the OE tires - I actually haven't found any track / weather that I like them - they are no where near R6s in speed, R888s are way cheaper and as fast and work in good temperature range, PSS's once scrubbed are way better dailies and in my experience just as fast on track - but that's me.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the PSSs are excellent street tires or for GT3 owners like me who have yet to see a day on the track.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
After you do this, the tires are not 3-4 seconds slower per 2 minute lap in my experience - it is maybe 1 second difference than OE Cup+ tires (maybe less). But this is at Mosport in 75 degree weather - not on a short twistie track at 100 degrees - this is one of the reasons I actually really dislike the OE tires - I actually haven't found any track / weather that I like them - they are no where near R6s in speed, R888s are way cheaper and as fast and work in good temperature range, PSS's once scrubbed are way better dailies and in my experience just as fast on track - but that's me.
This is very good and positive feedback on PSS.

If they make 325 next year, I will mount a set on my RS and try them aggressively on our local track.

I don't mind 1 to 2 seconds off per lap, but will really appreciate its wet performance as it rains too much in Vancouver.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
This is very good and positive feedback on PSS.

If they make 325 next year, I will mount a set on my RS and try them aggressively on our local track.

I don't mind 1 to 2 seconds off per lap, but will really appreciate its wet performance as it rains too much in Vancouver.
Q1CY2012.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
They need to start making the Super Sports in a 325!
I'd love to try them.
see above...
Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rideau
"Larry, if Im not mistaken, the warranty is void if they sense you tracked the PSS. I saw somewhere not long ago where they stated this. Hopefully I am wrong though."

Season finished and so were the MPSS's. Fronts corded on outside edges, rears showing substantial outside edge wear. Calabogie Motorsports Park is tough on fronts.
I did find out that there is no warranty for track use, even though I scoured the available warranty literature for mentions.
Sadly you are right, the Michelin PROMISE warranty is void if you track the tyres ...

I think you have to watch the hot pressures on the MPSS, I am struggling to understand why the shoulders wore so quickly after 5 track days, given the technology in the tyre and the compound on the outside shoulder I believe you should have got better mileage ... certainly exceeding that of MPSC or PS2.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
They need to start making the Super Sports in a 325!
I'd love to try them.
see above...
Old 11-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by liurad
2010 Porsche 911 GT3

Front chamber -2.1 0 toe
Rear chamber -1.9 Very min toe in (don't know the exact number)

New Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Cold tire pressure on track: Front 30, rear 31. Hot tire pressure on track: front 37, rear 39 psi

5 track days later:

2 days at Streets of Willow
2 days at Willow Springs Race Way
1 day at California autoclub speedway inner course

All 4 tires outer were flat where as the inner are still 80% remaining. One of the rear has corded outer. Prob due to weak walls. I have emailed Michelin tech dept to see what the explanations are. Very disappointed on the wear life. However, they performed quite well on the track both wet and dry.
I'd speculate that you have too much camber for the speeds you are achieving ... so you are lapping on the shoulders
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by liurad
2010 Porsche 911 GT3

Front chamber -2.1 0 toe
Rear chamber -1.9 Very min toe in (don't know the exact number)

New Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Cold tire pressure on track: Front 30, rear 31. Hot tire pressure on track: front 37, rear 39 psi

5 track days later:

2 days at Streets of Willow
2 days at Willow Springs Race Way
1 day at California autoclub speedway inner course

All 4 tires outer were flat where as the inner are still 80% remaining. One of the rear has corded outer. Prob due to weak walls. I have emailed Michelin tech dept to see what the explanations are. Very disappointed on the wear life. However, they performed quite well on the track both wet and dry.

Can you clarify your comments for me please - just want to make sure I understand:

1) All 4 tires outer were flat where as the inner are still 80% remaining
- are you saying that on all 4 tires, it was the outside of the tire that had all the wear - and the inside was basically new

2) One of the rear has corded outer
- you are saying at -1.9 camber you corded the outside of the tire and the inside edge had 80% tread left

With your setup (-2.1,-1.9), just to confirm, you are saying you basically ruined the outer edges of the all tires but the inner edges had 80% tread remaining.

My own setup (-2.2, -1.75) with the 245f 305r is that with running 33f hot and 36r hot that the tire wear was almost perfect at Mosport - to make it absolutely perfect I would say that -2.3, -1.85 as a guess would have nailed it in terms of wear and temps.

If I have interpreted what you have said correctly, then it seems that your driving style, local tracks, local temps and corning speed requires substantially higher camber to make the tires work - this is entirely possible - you might need a setup in the -2.7f, -2.4r range

You may also want to check your alignment to see if anything is out of wack.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Doh ... I got it wrong ... not enough camber and/or too much hot pressure!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Doh ... or too much hot pressure!
Too much hot pressure is generally associated with the over inflated middle section getting worn too quickly - not the outside edge.

The description of what happened to these tires doesn't quite make sense to me given the alignment - Unless we are talking about 11/10ths pushing the car and a driving style that really, really likes to slide the car - throw it into to a corner - and possibly with an under inflated tire on the first 2 laps it was rolling over and all the wear happened then - especially the rears that had -1.9 camber - if all the wear was outside edge with 80% tread left on the inside edge??

It sounds like some drifting on cold tires was happening - that's why I'm asking.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Too much hot pressure is generally associated with the over inflated middle section getting worn too quickly - not the outside edge.
agreed ... I am talking out of my *** (Adaptive Sports Seats)

The description of what happened to these tires doesn't quite make sense to me given the alignment - Unless we are talking about 11/10ths pushing the car and a driving style that really, really likes to slide the car - throw it into to a corner - and possibly with an under inflated tire on the first 2 laps it was rolling over and all the wear happened then - especially the rears that had -1.9 camber - if all the wear was outside edge with 80% tread left on the inside edge??

It sounds like some drifting on cold tires was happening - that's why I'm asking.
me neither ... esp when compared with say MPSC, since the PSS shoulder is a more sophisticated design, with better heat mgmt and also grip/wear characteristics ...

these tyres were bullet proof after a hard day lapping at the autodrome in Dubai, and not just on Carerra's but also on Lambos, R8, AMG, 458 etc ... with works drivers pushing them VERY hard ...
Old 11-10-2011, 03:54 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As I mentioned on an earlier post on these PSS tires - I didn't nearly like them as much on day 1 as on day 2 - sort of like R888s. On day 1, I was getting into ABS in some brake zones - which I wasn't expecting - on day 2 this was almost 100% better.

My 2 cents, try your hardest to scrub the tires in a parking lot before your first track day - light them up / slide them - get the release agent out.

Sorry, but no way does the PSS come near the PSC in track performance. I tracked my PSS three times. I have telemetry from the runs. I tracked the PSCs twice. Everything about them is better.

Corner entry, apex speeds, terminal velocity, all dramatically higher. 3-4s on a 2min lap may even be an understatement, I was 1-2psi too high in the rear...
Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmardini
Sorry, but no way does the PSS come near the PSC in track performance. I tracked my PSS three times. I have telemetry from the runs. I tracked the PSCs twice. Everything about them is better.

Corner entry, apex speeds, terminal velocity, all dramatically higher. 3-4s on a 2min lap may even be an understatement, I was 1-2psi too high in the rear...
Can you give us the track and conditions?
What exact MPSC are you comparing to - N0, N1, N2, sizes?
What does your data show?

Thanks

Paul

Quick Reply: MPSC v. Pilot Super Sport