997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MPSC v. Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 12:54 AM
toymerc
3rd Gear

R888's howl like there is no tomorrow, they were so bad driving to the track that you can't even hear the radio. The MPSC's were much much quieter and in my opinion sticker and offered better grip then the R888's. The PSS's are street tires, softer sidewalls, extremely quiet but nowhere near the MPSC's when it comes to the track but I think they were better then the R888's as they never worked for me. The PSS's do wear very very well and I think they will make a great rain tire not that I had a chance to try.
Old 08-02-2011 | 10:29 PM
irysfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
Interested in hearing real life experiences between these two. Do the MPSCs ride harsher than the PSSs? Tread life? I'm clear that the PSSs are clearly better in the rain while the MPSCs might offer better stick given its lack of tread pattern.

Thanks in advance!
I had about 500 street miles, sunny weather only on the PSS after switching from MPSC. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference. It's just as grippy driving within reasons on the street. On track they are completely different tires. I think the PSS is great for street drivers who track occasionally. MPSC is for those who drives their GT3 the way it should be - on the track mostly.
Old 08-02-2011 | 11:03 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

I just ordered a set of Super Sports to replace my worn out Sport Cups. I intend to use them as a rain tire and for the < 5% street use the car sees.

I have R6's for DE and NT01 for AX so the Super Sports will fill in as rain tires.
Old 08-03-2011 | 03:11 AM
gstahl
Instructor

Question on MPSC's

Are they really r-compound tires?

I have heard folks say they are but also have heard folks say they are not true r-compound tires. I ask because I have a GTS Cabriolet and HoD prohibits cabriolets/convertables from running R-compund tires. I have no problems complying, just trying to figure out my options if I want to go with one set of track wheels and one set of street wheels (e.g., are sports cups a possible track tire for my case?).

Thanks.

Last edited by gstahl; 08-03-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:20 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

The MPSS tires are for those who drive street and occasional track.

The MPSC tires are for those who drive track and occasional street.

If you drive your GT3 to the track and want the best possible experience on street legal tires then the MPSC is your tire. You want the most grip available from a street able tire.
Old 08-03-2011 | 09:50 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

I have had 5 track days on the Super Sports, 4 of them wet. Better wet grip than my previous Yoko Advan AD07s. Dry grip equivalent to the Yokos. No comparison to R compound in the dry. A track friend of mine with equivalent speed last year put on Sport Cups this year....no comparison in dry (Sport Cups), no comparison in wet (Super Sports).
I'm swapping them side to side before my next event......we shall see how long they last. I can't believe that I'll get to 55,000 km front, 27.500km rear.
Would love to test AD-08s back to back with Super Sports. My ride is a 2001 3.4L 996 so speeds are way down in comparison to a GT-3. Super Sports for wet and Sport Cups for dry would be a great GT-3 combo.

I have been consistently reducing pressure at each event to find what works best. Am now at 32F, 36 R hot. I did find that the front. rear differential was important for these tires...equal F and R caused understeer. Pressure advice welcome.
Old 08-03-2011 | 11:46 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

They need to start making the Super Sports in a 325!
I'd love to try them.
Old 08-03-2011 | 05:42 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by kyrocks
PSS are much softer and make street driving more comfortable. Subjective ride firmness: MPSC 9 out of 10; PSS 4-5 out of 10.
Just got the wheels and tires fitted today. I'm comparing with the stock MPSC wheel setup.

-The lightweight forged wheels definitely make the car feel less plodding if you can even use that word to describe the way any GT3 drives

-Steering feels lighter

-PSS is one thick tire so for those who have seen pictures of the RG5s on PS2s, the rim protector is going to stick out much further to the point where I'm not absolutely, cleanly flush with the rear fender on Champion's aggressive specs (19x12)

I echo most people's comments here pointing toward PSSs as THE street tire and the MPSCs as THE track tire with both sides able to overlap a bit either way.

I must say the ideal setup would be MPSCs coupled with the RG5s, but I need to be able to drive in the rain here and there even if it is a 2nd car.

I agree with ky's subjective ride firmness ratings. The PSSs make the car ride completely different. I can see myself wanting the MPSCs at times and vice versa, but make no mistake, the MPSCs offer the best handles even on the street. It just feels that much more raw or unCarrera-like or... driving with or w/o a jimmy.

Thanks, all.

Old 08-03-2011 | 06:06 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Polarporsche
I just ordered a set of Super Sports to replace my worn out Sport Cups. I intend to use them as a rain tire and for the < 5% street use the car sees.

I have R6's for DE and NT01 for AX so the Super Sports will fill in as rain tires.
NT01 are not very good as AX tires IMHO... R6 would do much better job at AX than NT01. A6 are best, then V710, then R6, then may be shaved V70A Kumho soft compound. Anything at wear rate 100+ is way too hard for AX.

about super sports most people say they feel a bit wobbly dry due to very high tread but they are great in rain. i use Z1 dunlop star specs for street/rain and they are quite good in that role imho. and cheap enough.
Old 11-08-2011 | 03:16 PM
liurad
Intermediate

2010 Porsche 911 GT3

Front chamber -2.1 0 toe
Rear chamber -1.9 Very min toe in (don't know the exact number)

New Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Cold tire pressure on track: Front 30, rear 31. Hot tire pressure on track: front 37, rear 39 psi

5 track days later:

2 days at Streets of Willow
2 days at Willow Springs Race Way
1 day at California autoclub speedway inner course

All 4 tires outer were flat where as the inner are still 80% remaining. One of the rear has corded outer. Prob due to weak walls. I have emailed Michelin tech dept to see what the explanations are. Very disappointed on the wear life. However, they performed quite well on the track both wet and dry.
Old 11-08-2011 | 11:22 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

I haven't tried the PSS, but IMO the MPSC are junk in the dry and the wet. They are nothing more then a shaved MPS2. I run R6's, they aren't good in the wet, but stick well in the dry, technically they are street legal, as they do have DOT approval.

Tires are all about trade off, get good grip, give up longevity, get longevity, get less grip.
Old 11-08-2011 | 11:52 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by liurad
2010 Porsche 911 GT3

Front chamber -2.1 0 toe
Rear chamber -1.9 Very min toe in (don't know the exact number)

New Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Cold tire pressure on track: Front 30, rear 31. Hot tire pressure on track: front 37, rear 39 psi

5 track days later:

2 days at Streets of Willow
2 days at Willow Springs Race Way
1 day at California autoclub speedway inner course

All 4 tires outer were flat where as the inner are still 80% remaining. One of the rear has corded outer. Prob due to weak walls. I have emailed Michelin tech dept to see what the explanations are. Very disappointed on the wear life. However, they performed quite well on the track both wet and dry.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the tire....just a guess.

Might want to try increasing negitive camber all around by -.5
Old 11-09-2011 | 05:50 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I don't think there is anything wrong with the tire....just a guess.

Might want to try increasing negitive camber all around by -.5
I have both the PSS and MPSC on two sets of rims. Have tracked both.

The PSS, for a 300 treadwear tire, is awesome. Fun, consistent and quick.

But it is 3-4 seconds slower than the MPSC on a 2 min lap. Maybe more. Its very easy to feel under braking and in corners.

MPSC takes a few laps to get temp right, and pressure is sensitive.

PSS balloons in pressure on track. 10psi easy. Beefy tire. Also, heavier than MPSC.
Old 11-09-2011 | 06:14 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Am putting on PSS's in 245 and 305 on a 997.2 RS this weekend. Have had TOO MANY close calls with aquaplaning on MPSCs and I can't keep rolling the dice time after time.

Regrettably Mich does't make PSS in 325 for the Gen 2 cars yet. Reckon for street use where the car's at less than 50% of its traction circle I should be able to live with the slight front bias. The rear will look a tad stretched a la Gen 1 RS... will post pics after the fitment.

Between not being to take a corner at 1.0g+ and risking serious accident everytime there's a wet patch this one's a no brainer... I keep a set of Hooters R6 on Champions at the track and think this is a good solution for folks who can't/don't trailer to/from the track...

p.s. I am concerned that the much taller treadblocks, thicker sidewalls and heavier tire will dumb handling somewhat... time will tell...
Old 11-09-2011 | 09:23 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

"Larry, if Im not mistaken, the warranty is void if they sense you tracked the PSS. I saw somewhere not long ago where they stated this. Hopefully I am wrong though."

Season finished and so were the MPSS's. Fronts corded on outside edges, rears showing substantial outside edge wear. Calabogie Motorsports Park is tough on fronts.
I did find out that there is no warranty for track use, even though I scoured the available warranty literature for mentions.

Quick Reply: MPSC v. Pilot Super Sport