Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Opinions wanted on this 07 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on this 07 GT3RS

I am considering making an offer on this car. I'm curious what you guys think of it including the current asking price. I've wanted back in to a p-car ever since selling my 993. I would love to have a .2, but don't really want to spend the additional 20-25k. thanks, Dave

http://showroom.auction123.com/auto_...793157.html#lg
Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

No, no, no! Unless you are a collector and you want a low mile museum piece, save yourself $20k and buy the really nice looking orange '07 RS over on Pelican. If that's not your cup of tea, buy a 997.2 GT3 (non-RS) and save yourself $10k.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
QueenCity911
Advanced

Originally Posted by tlarocque
No, no, no! Unless you are a collector and you want a low mile museum piece, save yourself $20k and buy the really nice looking orange '07 RS over on Pelican. If that's not your cup of tea, buy a 997.2 GT3 (non-RS) and save yourself $10k.
I agree!! That car has been for sale for a looooong time and is still too high for a low option car. The Orange Pelican car is better. Unless you hate Pumpkins!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

+2
Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Spidey 993

That sure is a great color combo though. I can understand why you are considering it
Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

I really want an RS and cant see myself driving one that isn't a bit understated. I love them, I just think I would be very self conscious in one of the bright colors.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM
ETW
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver is the rarest color and not many came without orange wheels and graphics, so you might need to jump on that one if you really like it!

http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/docs/colors.htm
Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

David... did't mean to come across harsh. It does look like a nice car, I just think its WAY overpriced in today's market. How about white if you want to give yourself a couple more options?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

I've looked at a couple of white ones(nice one on eBay). I just can't get excited acout white. I know that this is a low optioned, but the only thing I wish it has is the axle lift. I'm not looking for a museum piece, but I like the fact that this car is essentially new. I'm guessing it can be bought for a tick under 100k. Probably about 10k more than the one on Pelican and a few thousand more than the whit one on eBay.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:34 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice looking
If you like it, cut the best deal you can and never look back
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That one looks good. I'd rather white and black or even white and red stickers. Prefer full black leather cabin, too. Would prefer not to have the "wart" (Sport Chrono.) If you want understated, this is very good. If you want to pay a premium for low miles, that's fine, too. I'd say they've got $10K they should be willing to shave off the asking price. I'd go into negotiations armed with relevant recent sales, get auction numbers or advice from a local Porsche dealer used car buyer. Given they've been holding it, I'm assuming more than 60 days and we're approaching a calendar month end, well, good conditions for the buyer. And it is very much a buyer's market.

You can get advice from Sharkwerks on the (I think Cargraphics) aftermarket nose lift.

As ever, trust not. Get a CPO from a Porsche dealer. Work that into the price no matter what you do. Expect this car to have a leaking RMS just like 90% of GT3s. Get a pro to run over it with a paint gauge and confirm it's zero paint or panel work.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

OP: this is one great looking car. I love every bit of it except for the price.

Think about it this way: the only reason it's got an out-of-earthly asking price (at least $30k over comps) is because of the "mint" condition. (I take that with a pound of salt until the whole car's gone through a thorough CPO plus my own eyeballing) That premium IMMEDIATELY goes away the moment you take ownership and start driving the car. A year and 10k miles from now there'll be little if no difference between this car and other 997.1 RS's on the block, and those other cars will trade at a further discount to where they are today.

And if your argument is to buy and keep this car in a glass jar, get one in the marquee colors--Orange or Green. Silver & Black were no-cost options back in 2007; Orange/Green were paid options and White was PTS.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
OP: this is one great looking car. I love every bit of it except for the price.

Think about it this way: the only reason it's got an out-of-earthly asking price (at least $30k over comps) is because of the "mint" condition. (I take that with a pound of salt until the whole car's gone through a thorough CPO plus my own eyeballing) That premium IMMEDIATELY goes away the moment you take ownership and start driving the car. A year and 10k miles from now there'll be little if no difference between this car and other 997.1 RS's on the block, and those other cars will trade at a further discount to where they are today.

And if your argument is to buy and keep this car in a glass jar, get one in the marquee colors--Orange or Green. Silver & Black were no-cost options back in 2007; Orange/Green were paid options and White was PTS.
I don't think this one is $30K over market. I agree any premium evaporates as soon as the new owner adds to the statistics. If the purchase is to add to a collection then get an '08 -- nobody wants the first, the value is always and invariably in the last when the car is the same from year to year. While I see merit in the value of the "livery" colors (in this car, orange and green) I don't think it translates into real dollars because this car is not destined to be a collector car, let alone an investment grade car where color could double or halve the value. Since the OP wants "understated" the orange and green are not relevant. I'd go black or white. Arctic is a bit bland. Maybe GT Silver or find an uncommon PTS, then I'd pay the premium to get a car that's really something unique and personal ... and I'd want to find it from the original owner as a private sale, not feed the profits of a speculator car flipper.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by David Schacht
I am considering making an offer on this car. I'm curious what you guys think of it including the current asking price. I've wanted back in to a p-car ever since selling my 993. I would love to have a .2, but don't really want to spend the additional 20-25k. thanks, Dave

http://showroom.auction123.com/auto_...793157.html#lg

the silver with black is a great combo. Especially if you want to stay under the radar of daily driving.

109k is too steep for a .1RS.

100k is the norm and if you must then 104k to your door local car or not.

the car has Sport Chrono Wart, but at least the color combo is rare.

A second set of stock black wheels for track duty would be nice for this car. (hides brake dust)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:28 AM
David Schacht
Instructor

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, all are good perspectives. They have me reconsidering the orange car on pelican. Spending this much money on a toy, it should knock your socks off every time you drive it or walk by it in the garage. I'm starting to wonder if I'm interested in the silver car because of what other people will think, rather than what is important to me. Thanks again for your thoughts.

I saw this car in a thread that is buried several pages in. 2010 gt3rs that belongs to a forum member. It seems like a very good value. Better seats, belts, GMG roll bar already installed. Yep, it's more money, but is it a better value.
http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...?itemid=986804

Does anyone know the car? Is it grey black?

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on this 07 GT3RS