Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS 4.0: Who is going to be the first to get theirs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts
Default GT3 RS 4.0: Who is going to be the first to get theirs?

We keep seeing allocations pop up and such but I haven't heard any body give a date when they are supposed to receive theirs.

So who here on Rennlist is going to be the first to get theirs so we can all be jealous of them?

My vote is Mooty will be buy the one Carlson that one of their customers passes on. ;-)
Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
We keep seeing allocations pop up and such but I haven't heard any body give a date when they are supposed to receive theirs.

So who here on Rennlist is going to be the first to get theirs so we can all be jealous of them?

My vote is Mooty will be buy the one Carlson that one of their customers passes on. ;-)
Hopefully Moot has learned his bloody lesson once and for all and will not reward Carlsen for their greed.

In any case, I don't see too many buyers reneging on their order. I would like to see the people paying over sticker to come to their senses, realize the car is available, demand has not exceeded supply, therefore, the price should continue at MSRP.

As for "first kid on the block" status, well, who knows, but 20+ 4.0's will arrive on the same boat. Unless someone is paying for air freight, there won't be any "first" just a handful of lucky folks getting on track around September time frame.

My car's not even being finished until about October, so I know it will be under the Christmas tree, but probably won't see Laguna until next year.

I imagine they have 100 to 150 cars to deliver and will want them all on the books before 2012 just for cash flow at the dealership. That's 20 or 30 cars per month.

Presumably Porsche investors will be anticipating a very nice quarterly earnings announcement from Porsche AG for the rest of 2011. Then the 991 will surely bring a torrent of buyers for 2012. Combined with clearance selling of the 997, VW will be laughing all the way to the bank.

From another perspective, the next three or four months will probably see a variety of GT2 RS, 3.6 and 3.8 RS cars go to market with sellers wanting to get whatever number they can in order to make way for the 4.0 RS. If I were a buyer of those sorts of cars, I'd be looking for that point when there's clearly excess supply coming into the market and buyers are not stepping up.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm expecting the GT3 and GT3RS new and used sales to dip somewhat during this time too.

Remember what happened to GT3 sales when th RS hit the market?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I'm expecting the GT3 and GT3RS new and used sales to dip somewhat during this time too.

Remember what happened to GT3 sales when th RS hit the market?
If you're referring to the 2010 GT3, that was a confluence of **** storms for Porsche -- dreadful recession, unsubscribed new vehicle orders, crappy dealer spec'd cars, delayed availability of the nose lift and an incremental product with mediocre reviews. And I'd speculate that buyers saw the merit in the 3.8 RS with more horsepower, better gearing and wider track as well as the precedent of the 3.6 RS being the better ownership proposition.

I don't think the 4.0 RS overshadows the 3.8 RS or the 3.8 GT3 to such an extent and the update delta is a significant obstacle as well as the corrupt or simply greedy dealers dissuading top tier customers because of gouging and lies. And there's always time. Time kills all deals. Given six months or more lead time between first orders and first deliveries, there's ample time for demand for the 4.0 RS to find alternate outlets. As a marketing campaign, the 4.0 RS is a tough proposition. If it were my job, I'd really want to control the sale of those 600 cars with a connection to each customer. Instead, Porsche treats the sale as a line item of work feeding into their manufacturing system (SAP?) and that's about as hands-off or arms-length from the customer as it gets. There's no evidence of Porsche really treating the 4.0 appropriately. I think the people close to the product and close to the customer are on the ball, but the company itself is asleep. Presumably they're distracted and content to focus on the 911. As ever, narrow focus excludes the grand scheme.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
As a marketing campaign, the 4.0 RS is a tough proposition. If it were my job, I'd really want to control the sale of those 600 cars with a connection to each customer. Instead, Porsche treats the sale as a line item of work feeding into their manufacturing system (SAP?) and that's about as hands-off or arms-length from the customer as it gets. There's no evidence of Porsche really treating the 4.0 appropriately. I think the people close to the product and close to the customer are on the ball, but the company itself is asleep. Presumably they're distracted and content to focus on the 911. As ever, narrow focus excludes the grand scheme.
I odn't see it that way at all... The 4.0 has been featured in Excellence, Pano, and is the cover story for this month's Christophorus. I see it referenced all over the print media. And the car itself is the last of the Metzger-derived GT3s. (as far as we know).... It reminds me of 911 purchases in 1998 prior to the launch of the 996. And personally, the 4.0 has me excited - really excited. Only 600 examples will no doubt drive up values! I think the GTS is the perfect DD, and the 4.0 is the perfect track car. If I wasn't still hell-bent on taming the 996 GT3 on the track and finding perfection with that chassis, I would be on the wait list...

My $0.02,
-B
Old 07-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
I odn't see it that way at all... The 4.0 has been featured in Excellence, Pano, and is the cover story for this month's Christophorus. I see it referenced all over the print media. And the car itself is the last of the Metzger-derived GT3s. (as far as we know).... It reminds me of 911 purchases in 1998 prior to the launch of the 996. And personally, the 4.0 has me excited - really excited. Only 600 examples will no doubt drive up values! I think the GTS is the perfect DD, and the 4.0 is the perfect track car. If I wasn't still hell-bent on taming the 996 GT3 on the track and finding perfection with that chassis, I would be on the wait list...

My $0.02,
-B
You're right -- I don't see it that way either! : ) I'm talking about the relationship between Porsche and their customer for the 4.0. The Porsche brand marketing is trotting along just like usual -- adequate, but unremarkable. No racing, no driver's, no teams, no victories, no excellence. Sure, the 4.0 gives the journo's something to natter about, and I think we all enjoy the wait for the finale of the 997 GT cars, but again, it's "great car, you can't buy it, move along" and then the usual polarized piffle of Porsche vs. Ferrari and now vs. McLaren or previously against Nissan GTR, et al. The better mags will delve deep into the car, but again, that's the car earning its place in history. The sales machines at Porsche is not working on the fruition of the ownership experience. Anyway, no matter, situation normal.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't agree LOL...Porsche has race teams and drivers but no wins in a while.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I don't agree LOL...Porsche has race teams and drivers but no wins in a while.
Porsche has teams?

I know Porsche has customers who run teams.

I don't mean to express anything but respect and appreciation for factory drivers, but we're a long way from Porsche of old.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Softarga
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

back to the original question, my production date is September with October delivery. Can't wait although the GT2RS will rack up a few extra miles in anticipation...
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

I believe west coast got the early July builds coming to US and I suspect Savyboy is the top of that list given his impending marriage to AP. Note: at least part of this post is serious....
Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're right -- I don't see it that way either! : ) I'm talking about the relationship between Porsche and their customer for the 4.0. The Porsche brand marketing is trotting along just like usual -- adequate, but unremarkable. No racing, no driver's, no teams, no victories, no excellence. Sure, the 4.0 gives the journo's something to natter about, and I think we all enjoy the wait for the finale of the 997 GT cars, but again, it's "great car, you can't buy it, move along" and then the usual polarized piffle of Porsche vs. Ferrari and now vs. McLaren or previously against Nissan GTR, et al. The better mags will delve deep into the car, but again, that's the car earning its place in history. The sales machines at Porsche is not working on the fruition of the ownership experience. Anyway, no matter, situation normal.
Got it - and completely agree. Sorry to veer off topic...

Back ON topic I will be quite jealous of the first car + owner that I see in person!

-B
Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche has teams?

I don't mean to express anything but respect and appreciation for factory drivers, but we're a long way from Porsche of old.
Could not agree more!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

teams cost money.
unfortunately.
easier/cheaper to back guys like olaf.
i wonder if guys like gmg or lizards get any factory backing/favours? (other than drivers)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche has teams?

I understand just messing with ya but I know they don't have teams and they are customer teams but didn't a customer team beat the factory at the 24hr Ring race? Yep!

I can't wait to see a 4.0 at a de running like it should be... That will be exciting for sure. I wonder who in Florida will get a 4.0 and bring it to Sebring?!?!?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Softarga
back to the original question, my production date is September with October delivery. Can't wait although the GT2RS will rack up a few extra miles in anticipation...
Congrats on the impending build! I recommend some track sessions with the 2RS to calm the anticipation Is that thing a kick in the *** to drive or what? Point and squirt every time the road ahead clears.

Originally Posted by Nizer
I believe west coast got the early July builds coming to US and I suspect Savyboy is the top of that list given his impending marriage to AP. Note: at least part of this post is serious....
I have no idea as to the distribution of builds but my 4.0 went CMPPRD today. Usual delivery time would put it here ~Sept 1. Slap some brakes/half-cage/harnesses/Hoosiers on it and bully the west coast crew on track a week later.

PS- your avatar, ummm so tasty. Definitely NSFW- that is some gearhead ****

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0: Who is going to be the first to get theirs?