Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Best sounding exhaust/bypass for .2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
My greek writing sucks, but your excuse is worse.... Who turns down feta?? Not even deputydog would turn it down, and he hates greeks! Haha

Where from greece are you from? I near Patra, from a little town called Tragano.

I am leaning towards RSS, as I am a fan of the larger tips. Have to check out GMG and see how there bypass stacks up.
I too am looking to at various options...early days so far.
Technically speaking I'm listening to some advantages the GMG and RSS guys are preaching. There seems to be a difference with the balance chamber that appears with RSS and GMG but is non existant with the SW unit.
Not sure how all this may effect HP/Torque.
Would be nice to have come real data/experience to compare.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I have had both GMG (on my .1) and SW (on my .2) I loved the sound of the GMG on the .1 as the integral "tips" were slightly "trumpeted" and thus gave a very rich sound.

However I prefer the SW bypass on my .2 for a couple of reasons; I think it sounds better than the GMG (but that is subjective), I like to be able to use "OEM" style tips (I have the SW titanium tips), and last but not least I like to give my business to a company such as Sharkwerks with their incomparable and unmatched customer service bar none.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm a bit surprised nobody is mentioning the FVD centre bypass made by M&M?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love how sw keeps geting repped for their service,
Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
I'm a bit surprised nobody is mentioning the FVD centre bypass made by M&M?
It does look nice, plus its a higher gauge steel and its even a little bit cheaper.

Of course, that would involve buying from FVD. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I will never touch them again.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 AM
tono
Advanced

Cool RSS X-pipe

Scheduled to install a RSS X-pipe in a few weeks on my 997.1 GT3. Will post a review and video.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the support guys and just some food (or chum) for thought. The inside of your stock center muffler doesn't have a balance chamber and therefore if you keep the flow as close as possible to the stock unit (aka use small/similar size diameter tubing) then you won't affect the back pressure significantly. There is only a connection at the outlet portion of the smaller diameter (when the valves are closed) pipes which is not the mode you use for making peak hp anyways. I suppose if you were to induce and slow down velocity and cause turbulence you could try and use a "balance" pipe to help with back-pressure but if you design something that performs like the stock unit then you don't need to The ECU calls for a certain amount of back pressure and so if you change it significantly enough you can obviously lose low end tq. The trick is to stay within the correct heat ranges for the 02 sensors and of course don't get beyond the called for limits etc...

And as I always tell folks if you're doing the exhaust for power then an exhaust on the 3 engine isn't really what you want to be doing. Yes we've seen a good few dynos our ours in AZ, Canada, the UK and other areas of the world before here showing a few ponies more in sport mode with our exhaust but if you're doing it for power gains don't expect too much. Now as far as sound and/or weight reduction then that's hard to argue...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Thanks for the support guys and just some food (or chum) for thought. The inside of your stock center muffler doesn't have a balance chamber and therefore if you keep the flow as close as possible to the stock unit (aka use small/similar size diameter tubing) then you won't affect the back pressure significantly. There is only a connection at the outlet portion of the smaller diameter (when the valves are closed) pipes which is not the mode you use for making peak hp anyways. I suppose if you were to induce and slow down velocity and cause turbulence you could try and use a "balance" pipe to help with back-pressure but if you design something that performs like the stock unit then you don't need to The ECU calls for a certain amount of back pressure and so if you change it significantly enough you can obviously lose low end tq. The trick is to stay within the correct heat ranges for the 02 sensors and of course don't get beyond the called for limits etc...

And as I always tell folks if you're doing the exhaust for power then an exhaust on the 3 engine isn't really what you want to be doing. Yes we've seen a good few dynos our ours in AZ, Canada, the UK and other areas of the world before here showing a few ponies more in sport mode with our exhaust but if you're doing it for power gains don't expect too much. Now as far as sound and/or weight reduction then that's hard to argue...
Alex

Quick question....why connection pipes on track exhaust
Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Alex

Quick question....why connection pipes on track exhaust
Hey mate that's an easy one... There's a significant reduction in back pressure with the track exhaust so to induce some we have a balance pipe. It also helps reduce the interior noise. A little
Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took my X pipe out of the box and shot a few pictures.
The workmanship is outstanding:
Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 PM
sideways_swe1
Advanced

I LOVE my Cargraphic exhaust!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^^^ itsa monster, which cargraphics exhaust do you have, and what additional work did RS Tuning do?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM
sideways_swe1
Advanced

Cargraphic full exhaust. With bypass and cargraphic side mufflers and cats. Not quite as loud with only cargraphic bypass but i would recommend it. Build quality is amazing! Rs tuning has done, exhaust, flywheel, clutch, racecam, ecu tune and done chassi mods.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sideways_swe1
Cargraphic full exhaust. With bypass and cargraphic side mufflers and cats. Not quite as loud with only cargraphic bypass but i would recommend it. Build quality is amazing! Rs tuning has done, exhaust, flywheel, clutch, racecam, ecu tune and done chassi mods.
RESPECT

Quick Reply: Best sounding exhaust/bypass for .2 RS