Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Best sounding exhaust/bypass for .2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:38 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Check out Europipe.

I think they have a simple solution and the cost is fairly reasonable too.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Love my SW. The sound is perfect on the track and barely noticeable on the road. Alex and the rest of the crew are the best and stand behind their product. The optional larger tips look great or you can go with the factory tips for a little more "understated" look.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Echo everything Lewis just said
Old 07-04-2011, 04:42 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im extremly hapy with sw, its just about right, its how the car should have come from stutgart, i even gained power, which was shocking

friend of mine had the track exhaust which in his own words found "obnoxious"
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Maybe this helps, some in car video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKV1f...mbedded#at=118

If you want more, clik on my signature, but this sound level came out realistically without getting lost by wind buffeting (Up to about 140 with both windows open)

Just the SW final bypass, nothing else. The Orange RS I pass in the beginning of the video has the same setup, so you can hear it a bit from behind the car.

Toward the end of video there are some slower cars and you can her the RPM at lower range a bit as well.

The noise is nice and loud enough on track for heelntoe, etc., unless there are open exhausts around me, then I can not hear my own engine anymore.

My car is a daily driver and I can be on the phone via blue tooth up to about 85 MPH +/- 4000RPM I think and just short shift a bit puttering around. Usually it the the A/C blowing that makes the most noise ;-)

No drone at any RPM.

I personally ike the OEM look of the Ti tips, but if you like bigger diameter tips the GMS have that angled look of the CUP cars. Not sure how it sounds though, I imagine very similar.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:26 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not trying to be a smartass, well maybe I am... But is there any possible way any of these center muffler bypass pipes could sound different? We're talking a couple feet of straight piping with no baffling or resonance chambers? They're essentially just carrying the plumbing from the side mufflers to the tips.

We see this same question on here all the time. I'm sure I asked at one point too. Since it probably won't "break" anyway, I say go with the one you get the best deal on. SW always seems to be very competitive on his pricing.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm not trying to be a smartass, well maybe I am... But is there any possible way any of these center muffler bypass pipes could sound different? We're talking a couple feet of straight piping with no baffling or resonance chambers? They're essentially just carrying the plumbing from the side mufflers to the tips.

We see this same question on here all the time. I'm sure I asked at one point too. Since it probably won't "break" anyway, I say go with the one you get the best deal on. SW always seems to be very competitive on his pricing.
Yeah, they can. Here is my logic

- Obviously, the tips will generate different resonance. Big, thin tips will be louder (but not necessarily in a good way) than the factory tips.
- The ID of the pipes and steel thickness will go some way into affecting how the sound travels through the exhaust.

I figure the price point has been intentionally set to be close or nearabouts the OEM center muffler cost.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I've heard the SW and the RSS in person. They sound exactly the same to me. Maybe they are close enough in construction to not yield a different tonal result. Never heard the GMG.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a track exhaust made by 'Billet Industries'. It is very close in looks to the SW Full track setup but it was less than $3000 with installation. It was recommended as a 'must try' by my go-to shop (KMW in Boca) since it was new, inexpensive, and took 52lbs off the tail. Basically nothing to lose since they said I could return it if I didn't like it. I've had it since December and the weight savings was huge. It's louder than loud and not so street friendly since the only non-drone zone is between 2700&3200 rpm. The sound definitely stands out on track but I have yet to see dyno results on this set up. Does anyone else have this or heard of it?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:55 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Been doing research on bypass pipes, as I am in the market for a GT3....

Not to insult any of the above companies, because I have dealt with SW, and there customer service is truly special, but does anyone else think the price for the bypass is insane??

I know we have expensive cars, and you get what you pay for, but over $2000 for a 2 feet of piping?? That is a bit of a stretch in my book. Unfortunately I will buy it, because the sound is amazing with any of the above mentioned pipes.

The cheap greek
Old 07-04-2011, 04:13 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Change your avatar asap, and I will tell you how to make them cheap.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Check w/ Alex on price. You can do better than $2K...
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
Yeah, they can. Here is my logic

- Obviously, the tips will generate different resonance. Big, thin tips will be louder (but not necessarily in a good way) than the factory tips.
- The ID of the pipes and steel thickness will go some way into affecting how the sound travels through the exhaust.

I figure the price point has been intentionally set to be close or nearabouts the OEM center muffler cost.

This brings up a very good point.. Can they sound different do they offer different performance? Yes they do................

A few technical details which I would like to point out with our WC Sport center section:

1. A fully engineered and race proven part.. As used on our World Challenge GT3 Cup cars. First tuner to introduce a fully engineered and proven center section over 5 years ago.

2. Megaphone design from 3" to 3.5 which is used for tuning the sound as well as speeding up the exhaust gases as each cylinder fires. ( yes there is a difference in sound)

3. An engineered center section equalizing balance chamber which maintains the proper amount of back pressure required by the engine in order not to loose power. (The factory muffler does not divorce the left and right banks)
The center chamber in our system also equalizes the exhaust pulse as the left and right cylinders fire.

4. Aerospace grade T304 stainless steel, Tig welded, hand built.

5. 50 state emissions legal, direct replacement part.

Attached are a few pictures of the system.

Here is the system installed along with our WC header and high flow cat system:

Equalizing chamber to maintain the proper back pressure as well as improve sound.

And a little video for your viewing pleasure:

If you have any questions or need more information please feel free to email me directly.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 07-04-2011, 04:51 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Does anyone make a "cheap" straight pipe?
EUROPIPE! I used to have it on my GT3 and I had the sharky's center muffler delete after.

also i think the center muffler deletes will sound a bit different. Remember sharky uses a straight thru design, same as inside the stock center muffler, and RSS uses a cross pipe design, and gmg uses straight pipe design with a balancer. Cross pipes are typically used for scavenging, to increase the exhaust flow, but is typically used on a v8, i dont know if there is any proof that it would help on a flat 6, different firing order etc

europipe. I think it was 600 with shipping from europe.

and again - listen to how far I am away from the camera and it still sounds like im next to it. that is how u can tell it is very very loud

here is a video with it. go about half way into the video where there is no music

and inside the car and tunnel
Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE]Change your avatar asap, and I will tell you how to make them cheap.
/QUOTE]

That is not an option. The chest hair will live on.... Trade you a Greek Salad for the info though!

Quick Reply: Best sounding exhaust/bypass for .2 RS