Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

3 Mths, 6 DE's, 2K on the ODO and N1 Cups are gone... Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

On 18" wheels a 315/30/18 is plenty rear tire for a GT3. Same on 19"... A 305/30/19 is plenty. Do not think more tire will make up for less talent.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default ........

Originally Posted by Izzone
Birthing hips are good.......too skinny is just bones

OK....time to quit drinking beer and goto bed
i know what you mean.
Rennlist is a place to get ones quick fix of porsche talk with just a push of a button anytime, anywhere!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
. Man, I'll have to do some googling.. I know the RS has a wider track but sI'm almost certain that the 7.2GT3 has a different (the 4-wheel drive) body than the 6GT3. And I have not had any beer yet
But anyway, narrow. more wide or (really) wide body , I'm still on the hunt for an answer of whether or not the RS-sized tires for F and R fit onto the GT3, stock wheel or RS wheel or any other wheel. I wouldn't want to have 245's or even 265's in the front and not at least 325's on the rear. PS: 345's can't be that tough to put on an RS, CarreraGT has them (Hoosiers) and they seem to fit -and he's really fast! Ask me how I know
PM NJGT

He is full of useless tire knowledge

He is probably busy on the Fiat forums comparing valet spots they gotover the weekend
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 AM
mdrums
Race Director

But I need all the help I can get And they're only $200 more!
And as I said in my original post, since these Cups don't seem to last, why not get the most out of my money and buy the biggest ones that fit, right? Maybe it'll give me more talent
No not really...professional coaching, seat time and a good dose of natural talent will help you go faster.

the same size in front and going bigger in the rear could make you go slower in theory. You will have to have a different alignment for sure as the rear will not rotate like it does on 305's. I've seen guys show up at the track with Hoosiers and still have the same time at the track. A lot if it is talent not tires.

Also 997.1 and .2 GT3 and Carrera are narrow body. RS, Turbo, GTS and Carrera 4 are wide body cars.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:03 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

My Sport Cups (10 GT3)...3400 miles, 3 or 4 autocrosses.(but used Hoosier A6 for like 15 serious autocrosses)....

Rears just about gone...even wear no cords, but I don't know if it would be safe to run them on the street until cords...front have like 30% left.

I think I am going to replace my Sport Cups...with......Sport Cups...identical OEM tires and sizes.

IMHO....don't go bigger with cups use stock sizes.

Lehman
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

OK, I'll weigh in. The wide body vs. narrow body version of the cars has been widely discussed and reviewed. If you choose to disagree with some very knowledgeable people here on the forum, its your prerogative, I guess. I think everyone here is just trying to help. I will say that the most of the guys that have posted in this thread (myself excluded) are pretty accurate and have helped me out tremendously.

On the subject of tires, I will echo everyone's comments on the MPSC's. I have run the Corsa's, R888's and Sport Cups and have a set of the Michelin Super Sports for street use. If you're going to run DE's, forget mileage. Tracks shred tires. That's the trade off.

So far, I have 6 track days on my MPSC's and am just getting down to the wear bars. I'm going to run them until they cord and when they do, I will buy another set. My experience says that they provide the best grip and longevity of the tires that I have tried on the track. If you've got the time, sometimes you can find used sets on the web. There are lots of P-car people that don't track our cars and often sell these tires very early for a longer lasting "quieter" tire.

Good luck and I'll be interested to hear your experience on finding the right tire setup for your car.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

. Man, I'll have to do some googling.. I know the RS has a wider track but sI'm almost certain that the 7.2GT3 has a different (the 4-wheel drive) body than the 6GT3. And I have not had any beer yet
But anyway, narrow. more wide or (really) wide body , I'm still on the hunt for an answer of whether or not the RS-sized tires for F and R fit onto the GT3, stock wheel or RS wheel or any other wheel. I wouldn't want to have 245's or even 265's in the front and not at least 325's on the rear. PS: 345's can't be that tough to put on an RS, CarreraGT has them (Hoosiers) and they seem to fit -and he's really fast! Ask me how I know
the 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3 are indeed wider then a 996 GT3.

But 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3 continue to have narrow 2wd platform body.

The 997.1 RS and 997.2 RS have the 4wd bodies .

The 997.1 and 997.2 narrow body has a different rear offset wheel then the RS.

Because of the narrow body and rear wheel offset you are limited to tire size on the rear.

Next time you see a RS park along side and you will see the difference in rear width.

345 MPSC on the the rear of a RS requires removal of rear spacers and tuck n roll of rear fender.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I ran a set of Pirelli Corsas on my 10 GT3, got 10k miles, 6 track days and lots of spirited driving. They have great grip and can run in the wet. I'll miss those tires as they don't fit on the RS.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

As I recollect *all* the GT3s have been based on the Carerra 4 chassis because those were stiffer than the 2's; nly the 997 RSes were based on the 'widebody' 4S bodies (the 996 RS being a narrow body also).

The difference between the GT3 (997.2) and the RS (apart from the wider track of the latter) are the wheels/offsets:

The GT3 wears:

- 8.5" x 19" ET53
- 12" x 19" ET63
The RS:

- 9" x 19" ET47
- 12" x 19" ET48 You can easily fit a 9" up front, I have the HREs. A 245 up front should be possible, and maybe even a 325 in the rear although it may be tight.

I personally like the Pirelli Corsas on my 3.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

It's late and I'm going to stop arguing with you Whatever you call it -wide or narrow- but per the Porsche website, the 2011 GT3's wheelbase is 92.70", the GTS's wheelbase is 92.52. Small difference but ... .
PS: And I will spend my money on the fattest tires I can find so my personal coach can stop complaining about my skinny wheels
Dude, I'm not arguing with you...I'm trying to help you...geesh!
Wheels base is NOT what determines a wide body and narrow body 997 car. It's width...rear width to be exact that determines a narrow body to a wide body and it's only the rear body width that is different.

GT3RS, Turbo, GTS, Carrera 4 and Carrera 4 S and Targa are WIDE BODY based 997 cars. GT3, Carrera, Carrera S are narrow body cars.

The .2" wheel base (NOT rear width..i.e wide body) difference between the Turbo, Carrera 4, Carrera, GTS with the GT3 based cars is due to the lower control arms provide a little more caster.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dude, I'm not arguing with you...I'm trying to help you...geesh!
Wheels base is NOT what determines a wide body and narrow body 997 car. It's width...rear width to be exact that determines a narrow body to a wide body and it's only the rear body width that is different.

GT3RS, Turbo, GTS, Carrera 4 and Carrera 4 S and Targa are WIDE BODY based 997 cars. GT3, Carrera, Carrera S are narrow body cars.

The .2" wheel base (NOT rear width..i.e wide body) difference between the Turbo, Carrera 4, Carrera, GTS with the GT3 based cars is due to the lower control arms provide a little more caster.
+1 mdrums... horstair, that's why they are called 'narrow' and 'wide' body and not 'long' and 'short' wheelbase ala Land Rover or 7 series BMW!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^ want to summarize those for the thread?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Damn...I'm done with this guys.....try to help and I get a total azzhole trying to belittle me claiming I'm arguing with him...geesh!
FWIW, I think there's a bit of a language and written word issue here, but certainly no disrespect intended -- I know that what's Horstair has written is meant in jest even though I can see it reads as being a little sharp.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brim
FWIW I ran a set of Pirelli Corsas on my 10 GT3, got 10k miles, 6 track days and lots of spirited driving. They have great grip and can run in the wet. I'll miss those tires as they don't fit on the RS.
+1
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Now you are Hey, I told you in my last post that I don't care about what you call "my body". All I wanted to find out what size tires fit onto the GTR3...Did you even read my initial post with the questions I had?
Anyway, I learned what I needed to know about tires for the 7.2 GT3 from the more knowledgable folks on this board. Tx izzone and tcsracing1! Let's move on
it would be good if you could summarize ...

Quick Reply: 3 Mths, 6 DE's, 2K on the ODO and N1 Cups are gone... Now what?