Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Chris Harris on RS 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I wonder if Chris feels it is just marginally better and mostly for collectors (Some journalists) or if he thinks this is just the best road / track car ever build and might be for some years to come untill 911's get lighter again without more nannies......

Anyway, nothing in my mailbox yet ;-0
He's buying one so that says something...
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it says that he never got over P819UHR, and that the 4.0 will be his salvation.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Yes, that means something...

I want one.. One day...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Not to whine, but has anyone seen the Chris Harris review of the RS 4.0? Or the new issue of Excellence? Seems every other review is out, and in some cases, one issue back. Even Octane has an article on it.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
It's the next cover story. Issue is due to hit mailboxes as soon as next week, and newsstands on 7/19. Sorry I cannot improve upon timing issues in this Internet age, but my hope is that Harris' words will be worth the wait. I think they are...and there is some very cool non-time-sensitive stuff in this issue that I am really excited about, too.

Have a great weekend!!

pete
Looks like I will have to pick up the mag in the Tenderloin as usual. Missed the last few issues working in Lithuania.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H
Not to whine, but has anyone seen the Chris Harris review of the RS 4.0? Or the new issue of Excellence? Seems every other review is out, and in some cases, one issue back. Even Octane has an article on it.
Subscriber copies of issue #194 left the printer on pallets headed for the USPS on 6/28, and the newsstand on-sale date is 7/19 (so that subscribers get their issues first). Not sure I can adequately express my frustration having signed off this issue's content on 6/6/11.

I have, however, gotten at least one email with regards to the new issue, this from a guy back east who is excited about the 924 story within...

pete
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Subscriber copies of issue #194 left the printer on pallets headed for the USPS on 6/28, and the newsstand on-sale date is 7/19 (so that subscribers get their issues first). Not sure I can adequately express my frustration having signed off this issue's content on 6/6/11.

I have, however, gotten at least one email with regards to the new issue, this from a guy back east who is excited about the 924 story within...

pete
Pete, thanks for the communication on this. I'll be checking my mailbox like a little kid...love your magazine!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please don't eliminate the paper magazine when you go digital. For older analog guys like me it's just not the same. I would have to cancel my subscription if that were to happen.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1,000,000
Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Call me crazy, but I still believe in paper. That maybe not everyone wants to stare at a screen after staring at one all day.That a magazine makes for a nicer tactile escape than an iPad, iPhone, etc. That there's some benefit in the save-ability, throwaway-ability, and non-need-to-shut-off-while-taxiing-ability of magazines. That there's something to be said for information that's presented well and thoughtfully. And that there still needs to be something to look forward to in your mailbox, as well as a few other things about the future of magazines. I see a way.

That said, the numbers for print magazines aren't great. Part of that is print's fault, because print isn't doing print well. Part of it is because print distribution is antiquated. Part of it is because newsstands are becoming less and less relevant (good thing Borders killed all those small book stores...). And part of it is because there are generations following ours who have different preferences when it comes to how they consume media — as well as some older readers who don't want the book in paper anymore. And who want it yesterday.

And, yes, part of it is the Internet.

For these reasons, we are moving slowly along a path toward how we'll create a digital outlet for our content — both past and present — but we will move slowly. We are a small company, with limited resources and old-fashioned ethics and approaches. There are many good things about that, and some disadvantages, too.

So, Excellence isn't disappearing as a paper book for a long, long time so far as I can see. It's been around for 24 years, and is in good shape despite a VERY tough environment. However, its future is hardly guaranteed. Hopefully, people will see Excellence as a useful resource in the Porsche landscape and continue to support it — but that's a decision they'll have to make.

pete
Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

+1 for print also, I just dont like the "format" of iPad ... nice for embedded video and carrying onto a plane, thats about it IMHO.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 for print..a must have for the "reading room"
Keep up the great work!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
+2 for print..a must have for the "reading room"
Keep up the great work!
me2!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I will add my two cents worth. I like the in depth articles in Excellence Mag. I like that Pete is always looking to run cars on the special loop, that he takes chances with others point of view (Jared), and racers point of view, and that he is not afraid to say he did not like the way a certain car performed on the loop. I like it when he takes cars to weigh them. I like the RSR, Cup Car versus RS comparisions, and the Porsche price point articles.

But most of all I like that he has not dumbed the magazine down like so many competitors, just to sell $10.00 per year subscriptions.

One of these days I would like to drive some of the loop. We rent a house in Westport every year for two to three weeks so we travel near some of those mysterious roads.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Pete,

prangster has the genesis of an idea for you here. EXmag tour days on loops that include lunch (someplace swank) or even a night or two over a weekend. Bring in some Porsche staff and magazine editors and the common unwashed get to live the journalist lifestyle. It's like a long lead...except readers pay to attend.

I won't bill you for this;-)

Regards,

Your co-driver, Michael La Fave

Originally Posted by pranqster
I will add my two cents worth. I like the in depth articles in Excellence Mag. I like that Pete is always looking to run cars on the special loop, that he takes chances with others point of view (Jared), and racers point of view, and that he is not afraid to say he did not like the way a certain car performed on the loop. I like it when he takes cars to weigh them. I like the RSR, Cup Car versus RS comparisions, and the Porsche price point articles.

But most of all I like that he has not dumbed the magazine down like so many competitors, just to sell $10.00 per year subscriptions.

One of these days I would like to drive some of the loop. We rent a house in Westport every year for two to three weeks so we travel near some of those mysterious roads.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris on RS 4.0?