Chris Harris on RS 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H
-

I wish there were a way to get it out faster. It seems that a lot of the other journalists who drove the 4.0 on the 2nd have their reviews out - either in print or on line. Even those of us with late build dates are having to finalize orders now and many put great store by Chris's opinions.
Me too.

I signed it off the second business day after Chris drove the car (and, yes, he wasn't feeling well). I get the frustration of readers, but I'm not sure they can fully imagine my frustration with the fact it then "disappears" for weeks in production, printing, mailing, etc. On the other hand, I'd say 10-20% of Exc content is time-sensitive while the rest is, hopefully, timeless.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,907 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Me too.

I signed it off the second business day after Chris drove the car (and, yes, he wasn't feeling well). I get the frustration of readers, but I'm not sure they can fully imagine my frustration with the fact it then "disappears" for weeks in production, printing, mailing, etc. On the other hand, I'd say 10-20% of Exc content is time-sensitive while the rest is, hopefully, timeless.
Don't mind waiting. Just frustrating to see it show up on newstands (often well) before my subscription arrives. Not like I live in Alaska or, heaven forbid, OZ. Makes you wonder why you subscribe....
Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure they can fully imagine my frustration with the fact it then "disappears" for weeks in production, printing, mailing, etc.
don't sweat it Pete.

i'm out here in Asia, and subscribed to your magazine, along with CAR, Evo, Total 911, GT Porsche, 911 Porsche World and heaven knows what else.

with all info overload and instant access that comes with the web, i'm starting to reconsider spending on all these publications (they can get costly having them shipped out here!).

but the two i will never cancel are Evo... and Excellence.

keep up the good work man!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H
It seems that a lot of the other journalists who drove the 4.0 on the 2nd have their reviews out - either in print or on line.
The stuff we've seen so far has suffered from rushing to publication -- it's timely, but it's also thin and uninteresting.

I'd say 10-20% of Exc content is time-sensitive while the rest is, hopefully, timeless.
I dunno out "timeless" but I'll score most issues as "Excellent" ... : ) ... and that's something even dear, old Porsche hasn't been delivering on all cylinders lately. But I hope Mr Preuninger and his team are receiving ample bonus payments for the rave reviews and real world performance of the 4.0 RS.

Having just spent three days in the 3.8 RS at Laguna Seca -- a track that rewards torque -- I am looking forward to the 4.0. With the same rpm range and, as Preuninger aptly put it, the "god-like" RSR engine character, I find myself bellying up to the bar to order another pint of the Porsche Kool-Aid ... and I think it's fitting, perhaps for the first time I've posted a smilie on Rennlist, instead of a 1000 words, I'll let a picture say it:
Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 PM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Adam, am I to understand that congratulations are in order and that you have an incoming 4.0RS?

Color and spec please. I'm still torn on the silver wheels/audio delete.

A/C I've elected to keep.

BerryS
Old 06-27-2011, 08:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I dunno out "timeless"
Fair enough. Point was "doesn't matter when it shows up, really."

Congrats on the RS 4.0. You're in some heady ownership company...

pete
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

true. most of the features on the older cars are indeed 'timeless', as the info isn't in any way 'time - sensitive'. it's all the new releases, that barrage of hits on the internet, the info-overload of regurgitated reports, that become quite shallow in their multiplicity......the 4.0 at silverstone with 20 different publications present to spend their 15 minutes each with the car to get the review and pics in the bag. the press release package gets an airing, then some comment, some pics, and that's it; got the story. youtube overload.
i much prefer waiting for exc.mag's test, no matter how late it arrives, where they spend a week and 1000 miles in the car, doing the test loop, stopping off for some cajun bbq, washing the car, and having a go down lombard and at ls or th, with guest hotshoe giving his .05, and i enjoy it thoroughly, my eyes nice and comfortable transfixed to soft paper, taking it nice and slow with a cuppa and some bitches brew playing through valve electronics. yes....that's what i'm talking about.

ps. congrats, adam! no 5 min review will ever do that car the justice it deserves...
Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Fair enough. Point was "doesn't matter when it shows up, really."

Congrats on the RS 4.0. You're in some heady ownership company...

pete
Come on! I still scored you an "excellent!" Isn't that the "expectation?" : )

As for the 4.0, I think it's the "apex" of the 911 and I plan on driving it to a long-distant grave -- I'll be happy if I am griping about having trouble finding parts for a 20 year old 4.0 RS with "only" 100K miles on the clock, and perhaps a digital paper copy of the 2031 edition of Excellence Magazine with the in-depth article of "Porsche sells off last remnants of VW in completion of their return to being the only private sports car maker after successful homologation of their zero-emission synthetic-gasoline powered 911 for Le Mans 24Hr 2032!"
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'll be happy if I am griping about having trouble finding parts for a 20 year old 4.0 RS with "only" 100K miles on the clock, and perhaps a digital paper copy of the 2031 edition of Excellence Magazine with the in-depth article of "Porsche sells off last remnants of VW in completion of their return to being the only private sports car maker after successful homologation of their zero-emission synthetic-gasoline powered 911 for Le Mans 24Hr 2032!"
Stranger things have happened...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

I wonder if Chris feels it is just marginally better and mostly for collectors (Some journalists) or if he thinks this is just the best road / track car ever build and might be for some years to come untill 911's get lighter again without more nannies......

Porsche is just evil, just a bit better with each new release, but with each new GT3model I think that if you can, you must. Even more so when compared to what the competition offers for the same $$..

Anyway, nothing in my mailbox yet ;-0
Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i enjoy it thoroughly, my eyes nice and comfortable transfixed to soft paper, taking it nice and slow with a cuppa and some bitches brew playing through valve electronics. yes....that's what i'm talking about.
Everything is better with vacuum tubes!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:54 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yes, that is so true.
miles 180g > blue pt spec > basis > ph3 > jadis > mini monitor > ears..........ahhhhhhhhh
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
yes, my ecu is powered by NOS telefunkens.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 AM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hesperus
don't sweat it Pete.

i'm out here in Asia, and subscribed to your magazine, along with CAR, Evo, Total 911, GT Porsche, 911 Porsche World and heaven knows what else.

with all info overload and instant access that comes with the web, i'm starting to reconsider spending on all these publications (they can get costly having them shipped out here!).

but the two i will never cancel are Evo... and Excellence.

keep up the good work man!
+1
Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
Well ya know rennlist has a forum now to talk about those!!!!!

Quick Reply: Chris Harris on RS 4.0?