2012 Z06 Ring Time Of 7:22:68

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:13 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyR
Why?

Ruf have already fitted their new custom flat-plane 4.5l 550hp V8 in a stock bodyshell, it's lighter with a lower CoG as well.......
A RUF is a tuned 911, not a 911. A 911 is a flat6. It's not all about performance...
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=TurboS;8661463]
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Why? I think it would hold up to many laps...N/A and carbon brakes

Over the last 6 years at Mosport, I've seen my share of sidelined vehicles, for lack of a better term. The vast majority were Corvettes. I think I've seen one Porsche with an issue, actually two, the second one was a GT3 RS.2, where a coolant hose let go. He was OK, the Ferrari behind him a write off.
Not my experience at all at the NorCal tracks. I had my eye on the Z06 as a track car for several years before I bought mine, watching the many drivers in the clubs I run with, and they appear to be quite bullet proof. I haven't seen a single one with a mechanical at a track day. BTW, one of the active track guys in my group is on his third Boxster engine...
Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,031 Likes on 2,843 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
amazing time, that susp just is awesome.

looks like the zr1 had too much power....
No, it had too much weight. Z06 is lighter.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta love the AC DELCO interior !
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
houston
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Hate it? No I don't!

In fact, I probably paid the ZR1 with the most generous compliment I 've ever made in RL regarding the "no tomorrow" lap time posted earlier this month. But on the other hand I find this one rather odd , firstly because I have a friend with a ZO6 with whom I have raced against and secondly because 3 seconds in the Ring, (*assuming that the starting and finishing points are identical, and that the track's conditions are quite the same ) cannot be the real gap, when two very similar cars have a power output difference of +100hp and an even bigger one in torque.

That's all..
I own an '09 Z06 and a '98 993 Cab. If you compare the ZR1 vid to the Z06 vid you will see the Z06 carries more speed through the corners due to it being lighter. In fact the Z06 is less than a half second off the ZR1 going into the final straight where the ZR1 power and shorter 5th gear take over. The Z06 has a taller 5th gear and just can't make the speed in the final straight, 170 vs. 180.

The person that said he test drove a Z06 and found it feels like plastic and a toy is just full of it.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by houston
I own an '09 Z06 and a '98 993 Cab. If you compare the ZR1 vid to the Z06 vid you will see the Z06 carries more speed through the corners due to it being lighter. In fact the Z06 is less than a half second off the ZR1 going into the final straight where the ZR1 power and shorter 5th gear take over. The Z06 has a taller 5th gear and just can't make the speed in the final straight, 170 vs. 180.

The person that said he test drove a Z06 and found it feels like plastic and a toy is just full of it.
That was me! I love the car, but I was just sharing my honest opinion. When I get in a porsche carrera or gt3 it feels like it was forged from a single piece of steel, like a capsule. When I got in the Z06 I test drove at the Glendale, Ca Chevy dealer the car just felt like a toy, a powerful one at that. I didnt get to drive the car at speed as the salesman gave me "its a new car dont go past X revs". I plan on test driving the car again, but when I did before it had that typical american feel to it, not solid like a bmw, merc, audi or porsche but it felt like plastic, besides the fact the inside was plastic thats not what I meant. The car felt very poor over bumps, it felt like chasis flex which I doubt that is what it was but what can I say im just sharing my impression. I bet it is much better with the Z07 suspension now.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM
houston
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
That was me! I love the car, but I was just sharing my honest opinion. When I get in a porsche carrera or gt3 it feels like it was forged from a single piece of steel, like a capsule. When I got in the Z06 I test drove at the Glendale, Ca Chevy dealer the car just felt like a toy, a powerful one at that. I didnt get to drive the car at speed as the salesman gave me "its a new car dont go past X revs". I plan on test driving the car again, but when I did before it had that typical american feel to it, not solid like a bmw, merc, audi or porsche but it felt like plastic, besides the fact the inside was plastic thats not what I meant. The car felt very poor over bumps, it felt like chasis flex which I doubt that is what it was but what can I say im just sharing my impression. I bet it is much better with the Z07 suspension now.
Right, my '10 Suburban feels like a tank, a plastic tank
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 234 Posts

^ sorry if my opinion offends you. But this was my experience. I have owned many american cars and most are crap imo. Owned 70's bronco, 96 bronco, early 2000 tahoe, 96 mustang cobra, 67 mustang, just rented a Charger on a trip. BTW I love the Z06 and I still want one and consider it.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Carrara
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAPID
Isn't there a few seconds missing: start point is further than end point?
That's the standard measure for all laps.

Originally Posted by bmardini
My point exactly.

Yeah, DFI & 4 litre engines will carry the 911 for another 5 years. Maybe. But 8 cylinders is a matter of when, not if. By then I'm pretty sure gt3's will be the slowest cars in their segment around a track.

And it will still be a 911. I honestly don't understand WHY Porsche won't just move the engine forward for the gt3's and make it a mid-engine. Then trickle it down to the rest of the range.

The cars were still awesome when they went water cooled. PAG can and will make amazing cars. But when F-cars, Vettes and Vipers are all quicker... oh, and GTRs... makes you wonder why we're making such a fuss. No?
The amount of cylinders has almost absolutely nothing to do with performance. An 8 cylinder is not coming.

Besides, a flat-6 sounds better, is more efficient, and has the potential of being lighter than a 8 cylinder. BTW, in a recent test, it was found the GT3 handles better than the Cayman R. And what just won the 24 hours of Nuerburgring, setting a new distance record, beating V8s and V10s? A 911 GT3 RSR, for the fifth time in 6 years.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

The feel of a Porsche is completely different, I felt the car heavy and with different feedback. I considered a z06 when shopping for my GT2, and now again I got myself in the same position, but at the end I can't. Maybe both one day, but between one or the other, I stick with Porsche.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

I've owned both a 2006 Carrera S and a 2006 Zo6, so I have some insight into both cars.

The Porsche was clearly the better car, but the Corvette was more fun to drive.

I've owned several 911s stating with a 993 Coupe in '97 and although all have been well built and very satisfying to drive, I have never missed a car so much after selling it as my Zo6.

The incredible power and torque combined with a well balanced chassis and great brakes made up for any lack of pedigree. True enough the seats are crap and at the end of the day you have to service it at a Chevy Dealer, but whilst behind the wheel on track or on the street, the car is an absolute howl to drive.

I wish I could have both cars, but if I could justify that expense, I'd probably buy something more exotic instead like a used Gallardo or a Ford GT.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

stock brakes don't last one day at the track, they have to be upgraded right away, if you're looking for a DE car.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

+1 I rarely see a fast Corvette on stock brakes.

I wish Porsche would build the Corvette.
For now my dream car is the RUF RGT8 with the V8, intergrated roll bar, custom my way everything...
Old 06-26-2011, 03:19 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This whole thread is pointless until there is an independent test in a production car. Bottom line, you have no idea how tweaked the car was for the session. Based on history and GMs typical overstated claims, I would it was significantly tweaked from what the production car will be as usual.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I looked at the Z06 in 09. The salesman smoked. The Car was out next to a Geo prism. It was out of gas when they KNEW I was coming. They put $10k on the MSRP for coating then cut $5k off for me for such a special deal. My possible trade in was an 09 $70K AMG with LESS miles than their "NEW" car and they wanted me to come in with $45K PLUS my AMG for the 09 Z06. Porsche is an ideal. Chevy is an excuse. By far the worst buying experience I had ever had. I tried but its still a Chevy and it doesnt come close to a 911 in feel or quality.

ADias, there were some famous racing Porsches with Flat 12vs? I am not tied to the grave on the rear flat 6. But I already have a front V8 Porsche in the 928. Porsche needs to do something abit different.

My Doc has a ZR1 and hates it. Its got leaf springs.

Quick Reply: 2012 Z06 Ring Time Of 7:22:68