Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: A/C Delete
I would consider owning a GT3 with A/C delete.
20.79%
I would only own a GT3 with A/C delete.
0.99%
I would not consider a GT3 with A/C delete.
72.28%
I currenly own a GT3 with A/C delete.
6.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

A/C Delete Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not here in S FL
Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
seriously how many secs/mi delta is 38lbs gonna make ... its not about pole position guys!

buy a race car!
Good one, I will use this excuse to avoid starting my new diet plan..

Enjoy your steak in PK you mustard.

PS. Weight loss in a car is a Lego game in reverse. And this 38p brick is quite important for the end result.

Leaving you now, I am going to remove my left wiper cause with 38 °C / 100 °F , the A/C brick stays and is my best friend.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not even an option A/C is a must have. Now radio delete is a different story
Old 06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I would think that the car might drive a bit more lively than the typical 38 pound weight loss would suggest, since it will also reduce some parasitic loss from the engine (having to spin the compressor).

Wouldn't the motor rev a bit more freely and make a little more power (even when A/C not on)?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:10 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

seriously how many secs/mi delta is 38lbs gonna make ... its not about pole position guys!

buy a race car!
it's not just 38lbs. a/c delete is but just one component of a 'delete' program.
it's not worth it on it's own, but if you're gonna forgoe all the other stuff, or even, god forbid, start stripping, then it's an absolute must. remember, it won't be used for going to the opera. the track in my city is only 40 min from home; i can open windows on the way back. even if you don't drive FLATOUT now, it's still worth doing so you don't need to do it later when you learn the car.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I didn't order AC on my Spyder. After years of poor AC or no AC in older 911s as I was growing up, and always being in a mild climate, I never acquired an appreciation of it. I very rarely use it in my daily driver, either.

I do have an appreciation for lightness, and more specifically, simplicity. I'd definitely consider a GT3 without AC.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
dbrescia
AutoX

Enjoyed my 2011 GT3RS, A/C and radio delete, LW battery, LWHL, and PCCB, but now having trouble finding a buyer.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrescia
Enjoyed my 2011 GT3RS, A/C and radio delete, LW battery, LWHL, and PCCB, but now having trouble finding a buyer.
Where do you live? Here in Denver it's manageable w/o a/c and I would think some other places like San Diego or San Francisco would be ok too.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Delete AC and watch your options for buyers fade away when you sell. The hit on resale will be huge. Of course I live in FL and that may color my opinion.

Peter
Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

It always takes some laying down some major "smooth" to get my lady to go with me in the GT3 on the street ~ there would be absolutely no chance without A/C (hairdo disruption & noise). 38 lbs. I cannot be without!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
had a base GT3 with a/c
have an RS without a/c

open windows and there is all the a/c you need

full a/c and my respiratory system do not mix...one day of that and I feel like I have less T-cells than an entire ID ward.

btw, 38 pounds of free hp cost how much in engine/other mods?

as far as climate demands; raced numerous times at that sweat-box know as Sebring in the RSR with sealed windows...even with a cool suit and helmet blower, still lost 3-4 pounds of fluids per session! ran without it and same results (foggy headed, though!)

all a matter of preference and tolerance in the end, i guess
This is about where I'm at. Blasted A/C during a couple DEs last summer. Other than providing a little breeze on the face before the helmet went on it really didn't make much difference. Without a cool suit and helmet blower you're toast in hot weather unless you're wearing T-shirt and shorts.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Not even an option A/C is a must have. Now radio delete is a different story
Word. I rarely turn the A/C on these days. Just open the windows and enjoy the fresh air and engine noise. On the other hand, radio and nav gets used on a regular basis - it's amazing how well NIN and an RS engine note go together.

Originally Posted by GrantG
I would think that the car might drive a bit more lively than the typical 38 pound weight loss would suggest, since it will also reduce some parasitic loss from the engine (having to spin the compressor).

Wouldn't the motor rev a bit more freely and make a little more power (even when A/C not on)?
I believe the A/C Off button disengages the compressor pulley, which should eliminate most if not all of the parasitic loss. Others with more knowledge can likely confirm.

buy a race car!
Not much. But bear in mind that AP is shaving floor mats looking for weight savings so 38lbs out of the tail end of a 911 has got to count for something.

Got the race car covered.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I didn't order AC on my Spyder. After years of poor AC or no AC in older 911s as I was growing up, and always being in a mild climate, I never acquired an appreciation of it. I very rarely use it in my daily driver, either.

I do have an appreciation for lightness, and more specifically, simplicity. I'd definitely consider a GT3 without AC.
Same here. Just don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Share the appreciation for simplicity, especially now that I've helped drop a couple 911 motors. First thing going on the new car is an Akrapovic exhaust that dumps the side mufflers. Between that and A/C delete, I'd be looking at 70-80lbs off the back and a lot of open real estate.

A lot of good responses here. The option to delete A/C definitely comes down to where and how you drive.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never turn the AC on even in hot weather, I don't care for the it.
I would definitely consider a GT3 without AC.
I'm a motorcycle rider and like to hear, feel, smell the elements.

Quick Reply: A/C Delete Poll