Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT.....Poll: How is the economy by you???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT.....Poll: How is the economy by you???

The 993 guys just did this impromptu little poll. I wonder if the view is different here? So what do you think about the economy?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
cay187
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it all depends on whether you've ever done DMT or not.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:00 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark..
Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

It blows...... and yet, paradoxically, it also sucks.....
Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Its hit my family. We are REALLY conservative now on spending. I am guessing that this 2009 C2S may be my last new 911. And I hate that thought. But we are both 50 (wifey and me) and now I have retired sorta, we are really worried about full retirement.
I guess If I was a welfare expert, and I knew how to get all the free entitlements I wouldnt be so worried, But I am not a freebie kind of person.
After my father died when I was in college and flat broke, I came home to my mom who was flat broke and she had to use food stamps for food and I was so embarrased to be there It was amazing.

Right now I am not in the stock market and I really dont know where to put money.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Devils Advocate
Intermediate

Doing good here, haven't had any large hits, just more work. I got into investing after the drop, so I lucked out there(hopefully). No job cuts, pay cuts, or anything negative coming my way for the foreseeable future. I stay optimistic and if any bad comes my way, I'll just take it as another wave on the surf board of life.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

It's tough out there especially small businesses. Banks are not willing to loan nething. It hasn't really affected me but damn give some room for the small guys. Mike
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

as i said in 993 land, for canada, in most provinces, housing is up and we have a strong dollar......
Old 06-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

It pretty much sux for me. I am a gen. Building contractor on the northern Ca coast, specialize in second homes. Foreclosures are selling for half of what building cost are and there are plenty of them. It's a good time for buyers! I don't see it getting any better in the near term, maybe not in my life time! I'm glad I have the 3.9 and my car is sorted out! I still manage to keep the wolves away from the door!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

I work in consulting and mainly spend time with enterprise clients. I've seen a remarkable pickup in spending in the past 6 months, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the economy is doing better. I think generally it is, but there are other factors weighing in for my specific business (mainly lower barrier to entry and needing to retain valuable customers).

I feel for the guys in smaller business right now, it's not easy. Keep your heads up and things will inevitably pick up.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brim
I feel for the guys in smaller business right now, it's not easy. Keep your heads up and things will inevitably pick up.
It won't in California. Those who have will prosper. Those who don't willhmerely surviving. (But that's better than 99% of the world's population.)

First time in my life that I've not anticipated picking up a 5-7 year old 911. (Never bought one new, never will no matter what. Owned at least one since I was 18 in 1980.) Figure my chance at earning any kind of an income during the rest of my life has evaporated. Don't need to make another dime; can enjoy the POS air cooleds and be perfectly happy.

Anyway, yeah we're having a lively discussion on the 993 board. All are welcome if you've not checked it out.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Household incomes are at 2002 levels

The stock market hasn't moved in 15 years other than up and down NO GROWTH.

Like old guy I don't know where to put my money but certainly not the market, global or home.

It seems to me the US/world economy has reached capacity and it's mostly down hill from here. I manage a veterinary hospital and we have 4 exam rooms so it's basically a 3 doctor practice and we have very little room to do more business w/o sacrificing client service etc..... Well in my opinion the US economy has been trying to do too much with too little for too long and we need to get our **** together before we can grow w/o causing more damage but our government and business leaders are not willing to sacrifice in order to put there best foot forward they just want more...........BOTTOMLINE greed is a drug and our government needs to go to rehab.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Advocate
Doing good here, haven't had any large hits, just more work. I got into investing after the drop, so I lucked out there(hopefully). No job cuts, pay cuts, or anything negative coming my way for the foreseeable future. I stay optimistic and if any bad comes my way, I'll just take it as another wave on the surf board of life.
+1
Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

In the restaurant business. Knock on wood, stores sales have been going up 15-20% yearly, but the rise in gas prices and food prices wipe that out. Frustrating because we are basically getting hit from all sides, ie: food costs, leveled sales, increased healthcare, etc. Annoying....

To get a picture about limited lending from banks, I have 3 stores fully paid off, no debt at all, and liquidity. All stores were fully profitable with days of opening, and paid off by the 1st year, YET getting a loan for more stores has been a giant POS.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

http://wonkette.com/442001/welcome-t...of-68k-to-live

It's been said many times but this country will not thrive w/o a healthy middle America and currently it's withering on the vine because our middle income is just above the poverty level and that's usually with both parents working. In the old days middle America was thriving with one parent working and the other at home raising kids properly etc... which is a whole different can of worms

The machine is broken and it's up to big business and government to right the ship before they go down with it.

Quick Reply: OT.....Poll: How is the economy by you???