Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

sticky ceramics

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
jwp98
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky ceramics

Anyone else got noisy, creaky, groany ceramics on their GT2? This happens most noticeably from a stop. Sounds like right rear. It's been going on too long for a pebble or bit of sand to be culprit. I tried bedding them, about 15 hard punches until I could smell them. It's noticeable more than once per wheel rotation. Like two or three times per cycle. Dealer says nothing is wrong. They are pretty new. 3k miles. OEM. They don't pull with hard braking--when the sport cups are warm, hold on to your (eye)*****. It may be normal but it's new and different versus other sets of second gen Porsche OEMs I have owned. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 AM
hansw
Advanced

I have about 16,500 miles on my '08 GT2. No issues, no noise with the brakes.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

How old are your pads? Since new?

Not saying this is the definitive cause but you could ask your dealer to loan you a new set of OEM ceramic pads and see if the problem goes away. I've had high-metallic-content pads change behavior on me as they oxidize over a year. Doesn't hurt to eliminate a variable if you can, right?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

It sounds as if you have tried the italian tune up, but did you get in touch with your inner Italian, did you smell of garlic and cologne, were you running on espresso and salami?

The razza at Scuderia Italia opine (too loudly and too frequently) that what you need is a Sicilian Tuneup, that is, much more brutal, and unshaven, whilst wearing yesterday's vest.

The lads, a lovely bunch despite what Momma says, did not have much success with this service option until they renaned it the Targa Florio Special, now its a hot seller and very good value at €195 plus tax

R+C
PS remove the Italian flavour and the advice holds, unless you DO have pebbles, in which case call for Barney
Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
It sounds as if you have tried the italian tune up, but did you get in touch with your inner Italian, did you smell of garlic and cologne, were you running on espresso and salami?

The razza at Scuderia Italia opine (too loudly and too frequently) that what you need is a Sicilian Tuneup, that is, much more brutal, and unshaven, whilst wearing yesterday's vest.

The lads, a lovely bunch despite what Momma says, did not have much success with this service option until they renaned it the Targa Florio Special, now its a hot seller and very good value at €195 plus tax

R+C
PS remove the Italian flavour and the advice holds, unless you DO have pebbles, in which case call for Barney
No wonder I keep losing to the Italians on my DE events!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
jwp98
Track Day

The whole thing seems more Polish to me. And Poland has produced more supermodels than sports cars.
Love salami and espresso, but like to separate them by about 12 hours. Cologne...what pleases a dark eyed bella? Meh, they're unpleasable.

To be clear, it happens during accel, not braking.

Car and pads are both 2010 manufacture, 3k miles. 2RS

I think I will go beyond Sicilian and do the Grecian. Worst case is, as suggested, new pads.

thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Do it!

Get new pads from Germany and don't pay for them ; )
Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by jwp98

I think I will go beyond Sicilian and do the Grecian. Worst case is, as suggested, new pads.

thanks

doing a Grecian, known as 'sporting the oak' in academic circles, or if you tend to the agricultural 'rattling the dags'

it may well be that the dags are rattling so giving the brakes a workout stands a chance of having a 'bum shave'.

have you considered guido frensmeyer's ceramic offerings?

R+C
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jwp98
The whole thing seems more Polish to me. And Poland has produced more supermodels than sports cars.
Love salami and espresso, but like to separate them by about 12 hours. Cologne...what pleases a dark eyed bella? Meh, they're unpleasable.

thanks
There's no way a 2011 2RS with a handful of miles should have any noise in the brakes. The dealer should be able to compare with any other 2010 or 2011 GT3 to discover what's gone wrong.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually it is possible.
Here a 2010 GT3 was über squeaky from day 1.

It all comes down to your relationship with the dealer.
For what it's worth, a possible change in pads and/or calipers is not out of the question, warranty wise, depending on how much you will complain about the noise and with what way. For example carrying a gun with you, would certainly help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/8385177-post19.html
Old 06-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
There's no way a 2011 2RS with a handful of miles should have any noise in the brakes. The dealer should be able to compare with any other 2010 or 2011 GT3 to discover what's gone wrong.
Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Actually it is possible.
Here a 2010 GT3 was über squeaky from day 1.

It all comes down to your relationship with the dealer.
For what it's worth, a possible change in pads and/or calipers is not out of the question, warranty wise, depending on how much you will complain about the noise and with what way. For example carrying a gun with you, would certainly help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/8385177-post19.html
Anything's possible. I'm saying there's no way it "should" be noisy in the PCCBs and the dealer shouldn't do the old "they all do that" brush off.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Agreed. The "they all do that" phrase, is probably the most common phrase in the dealer's comme il faut instruction manual.

Quick Reply: sticky ceramics