Going back under the knife tomorrow AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Well, like I said guys I am looking for another opinion. I had a bad feeling walking in the hospital today.
Something did not feel right. And when the nurse told me that I should follow my gut, I had Merritt come in an we talked about it. She wanted me to have the surgery, and I wanted to find another way. The nurse talked my wife into letting me go. She said let your husband trust his instinct. I think I just need to see another doc. We got the feeling the nurse didnt like the doc I was going to use.
Good call. I had the same misgivings when getting a "wisdom" tooth removed. I eventually found a maxillofacial surgeon through a friend. He explained the correct technique and the statistical risks.

The first guy was a hack (a well-respected, top-flight hack) and the other guy was at the top of the game, a thinking player who worried about the patient and studied the statistics, not just the billing system. But I didn't know that until I found the right chop doc.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Good Buddy,

spinal surgery is notorious for allowing diminishing returns, did you say it's your third? as a surgeon (eyes) the greater the number of previous procedures the more FUBAR the anatomy is and the less likely you are to be pain-free

PM that spinal Doc in Chicago (post #53)... this is no time for bit players, you need the BEST you can find
Old 06-15-2011, 10:34 AM
tim martin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a lurker on this forum but I had neck surgery (cervical disketomy of c5/c6 with cadaveric bone graft and titanium plate) due to a fall about 6 yrs. ago.....my surgeon was Dr. Robert Bray and was out of Cedars at the time......I believe he now has his own surgery center in Marina Del Rey....anyway, he has done a lot of athletes, celebs. and he did right with me......he might be worth a consult......my .02
Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 PM
shine
Advanced

I have a friend who has returned to 100% activity with no pain after his third back surgery. The surgeon he swears by is Robert Watkins jr. I believe he is in Marina del Rey.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

As my fellow surgeons know, it is VERY difficult to truly know if you have a good surgeon or not. A distinguished surgeon who is well known, well published, and at an academic institution with a good reputation does NOT necessarily mean he/she is a good surgeon. The best way to know is a recommendation from someone who has personally seen and worked with that surgeon in the OPERATING ROOM. This is usually a fellow surgeon in the same field, an OR tech, or anesthesiologist. This type of insight is very difficult to come by unless you are in the field. Referrals from primary care physicians, nurses, etc, are usually more based on personal relationships and hearsay, which is worthless. Any surgeon, including a bad one, can have a good outcome, so anecdotal references from patients should be taken with a grain of salt as well. Keep in mind the best surgeons in the world still have complications, so again, a bad experience from one patient is not truly useful information.

I no longer do spine surgery, but when I did, I learned that patient selection is just as important as surgical technique. Can this person really be helped with surgery? Spine surgery is one of the most lucrative fields in medicine. If a respected surgeon is tells you that nothing can be done, I would not ignore that opinion. Spine surgery is GREAT for leg pain. Spine surgery is NOT so great for BACK pain.

Keep that in mind, and good luck.

Last edited by orthojoe; 06-15-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^well put
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 PM
sheim911rs
Intermediate

PM sent Old Guy. Good luck
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey OG, good luck in whatever direction you choose. Back pain is no fun. All the best my friend.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
As my fellow surgeons know, it is VERY difficult to truly know if you have a good surgeon or not. A distinguished surgeon who is well known, well published, and at an academic institution with a good reputation does NOT necessarily mean he/she is a good surgeon. The best way to know is a recommendation from someone who has personally seen and worked with that surgeon in the OPERATING ROOM. This is usually a fellow surgeon in the same field, an OR tech, or anesthesiologist. This type of insight is very difficult to come by unless you are in the field. Referrals from primary care physicians, nurses, etc, are usually more based on personal relationships and hearsay, which is worthless. Any surgeon, including a bad one, can have a good outcome, so anecdotal references from patients should be taken with a grain of salt as well. Keep in mind the best surgeons in the world still have complications, so again, a bad experience from one patient is not truly useful information.

I no longer do spine surgery, but when I did, I learned that patient selection is just as important as surgical technique. Can this person really be helped with surgery? Spine surgery is one of the most lucrative fields in medicine. If a respected surgeon is tells you that nothing can be done, I would not ignore that opinion. Spine surgery is GREAT for leg pain. Spine surgery is NOT so great for BACK pain.

Keep that in mind, and good luck.
I'm a physician (not a surgeon) and I concur. This is the best advice given yet.

Quick Reply: Going back under the knife tomorrow AGAIN