Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

looking to try some Endless pads - sources, prices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

And, why is it that the MA45B and W007, W008 appear to cost 2x what the ME20s cost?

Here is what I've gathered from hearsay;

MA45B is a great pad. Sooper dooper miracle ingredients :-)
Last the best but eventually also fades out, just later but so expensive that you're better off just rplacing pads more often. Also hard to get. Being Japanese delivery times are not likely to improve soon.

The M20's seem to be good and cost about the same as the other stuff.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Here is what I've gathered from hearsay;

MA45B is a great pad. Sooper dooper miracle ingredients :-)
Last the best but eventually also fades out, just later but so expensive that you're better off just rplacing pads more often. Also hard to get. Being Japanese delivery times are not likely to improve soon.

The M20's seem to be good and cost about the same as the other stuff.
Peter,

I think we should try and get a large group buy together to try the MA45B as it sounds like a good pad for most DE'ers - lasts a very long time, not the highest friction level but extremely consistent and can take the heat from a trackday perspective. If it can last 24hrs of an N-Ring race - sounds good to me. But we need to get that price down.

Paul
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Paul.....MA45B is crazy expensive......but lasts longer. Double longer I am not sure. At 12 hours of Sebring it made it through the entire race.

The bite for it is supposed to be less, and as pad wears it still gets mushy (according to a friend of mine who ran them)

I am trying the W003 endurance compound, less cost than MA45B but more than ME20 (ME20 is Pagid RS29 level of price). I am getting better wear out of this pad......I will report during manication how many trak miles I get out of the pad......the initail bite is much less......but I am a bit faster with it
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Track: Sebring mostly
Tires: Rennlist Offical Most Hated Tire - Toyo R888
Previous Pads: Pagid Yellow RS29 front RS14 Black rear
Car: 2009 "lowly" Carrera S -same brakes as 996 Turbo and 2005- 997S
I think ME20 front and rear would be a great place to start. Good wear, initial bite, and modulation. If you must use a slightly lower friction pad in the front, then use N35S in the front, and keep the ME20 in the rear. The heat resistance on the N35S material is higher, but the pads seem to wear about the same on Sebring.

Modulation and Release characteristics on both pads are good, and are well suited for low grip semi-slick tires and low road friction tracks like Sebring.

Price of N35S and ME20 is the same as they are all standard racing compound pads.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Over the last 4 years I have run stock OE tires a bunch, R888, R6 and now trying Pilot Super Sports. This summer will be a Pilot Super Sport & R6 year.

I went through 4 sets of the OE pads and now exclusively use The Porsche Pagid P50 pads.

I like the P40 smoothness of release point
I wish the P40 had better bite / more friction
The P40 lasts 3-4 tracks (not very good)
You notice 'some' fade when very hot - not bad but some

The P50 when hot has good bite
The P50 is absolutely unfadable
It has to be kept super hot - if not super hot, it is difficult to be smooth.
P50 can last 8-10 trackdays

So, what is a combo pad that would combine the P40 / P50?

The track I most care about is Mosport. To be fast at Mosport you need to have very high entry speed / trail braking into fast corners so predictable smooth trail braking release is very important.

And, why is it that the MA45B and W007, W008 appear to cost 2.5x what the ME20s cost?
If you like a higher friction sprint pad feel, with the good modulation and release characteristics on PCCB disks, ME20 front and rear would be a great place to start. I have used the ME20 with the PCCB Combo and so far, I have had no complaints. The overall balance of a high initial bite, with good life and modulation have made the ME20 a very favored DE and Trackday pad. It is not our longEST lasting pad.

On the Cup cars with steel brakes, I like to run N35S or N03W front and rear on Mosport as it is a very well balanced pad and does not allow the driver to overslow the car. However, the initial bite of N35S is a tad lower than the ME20. However, the material itself is a slightly harder material than the ME20 and I am not sure how well it will work with PCCB disks.

Regarding MA45B: This is our current best semi-metallic endurance race pad, and has a lot of rare metals, irons, and post manufacturing processing in it that drive up the manufacturing cost. Development for the W007 and W008 were done from similar processing but they are only made on a special order basis.

MA45B in the US used to be a bit cheaper, but the Yen's strength versus the USD has not improved the situation one bit.

Although, there is more stock now of the MA45B and other Racing compounds for the 997 GT3/Cup/Steel brakes in the USA. I try to bring over a few sets a month for the 997s at least to make sure it is well stocked for our race teams and dealers.

ME20, N03W, N35S, N05U and N05S all fall under our standard race compound processing. The Price for all of these pads is the same and usually are easily available.
W003, S330, and S580 are all part of an advanced race pad line and are priced in between the regular racing pads and the MA45B. Each pad has it's own focus. All of them are made to last longer and take higher temperatures. Most of these are special order.
MA45B's technology sits all by itself and is the most expensive.

http://www.endlessdata.info/Racing%2...0%28web%29.pdf

Although, without saying too much, I can say that we might be tweaking the MA45B a little this year......for the better of course...We are also tweaking the W003 a little as well.

A Group Buy on pads is an interesting idea.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I want the magic mojo MA45B pads cheap :-)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

How Cheap?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Hehe....
I'll buy boxes and boxes and boxes at the right price. They're good. No question.
I've been going through 5-6 sets a year $ 700 - $ 800 with 30+ track days per year. The magic mojo pads might make that only 3 sets of pads.

Pads are so specific to track and driver but Orbits's testing went impressive at mostly Sebring and PBIR the 2 worst brake killer track I know.

The best try out for us would be to put on a set and so say 10+ straight track days at Sebring. I do this every year in Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb. I've done this 3 years in a row on pagid R29.

I just did 1 day of Sebring on PFC08 and they felt fine, but 1 day does not count, they all feel fine.
I will go through a couple of sets I'm sure and learn more:
2 days Autobahn
2 days Road Americ1
1 day Mosport (open track, probably counts for 2)
3 days Mid Ohio
2 days Watkins Glen

All before middle of July, so I will know more, but tough reference because I do not know how hard those tracks are on brakes...

I've done 14 days so far, so that will be 28 track days before August :-)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I say Trakcar needs an Endless Endorsement to test out some pads so that we all know what to get for our cars. He's a great driver and visits many many different tracks. Get him of Endless pads to test and have him take detailed notes, pictures and videos to compare against the status quoe Pagid RS29 pads.

Hehe....
I'll buy boxes and boxes and boxes at the right price. They're good. No question.
I've been going through 5-6 sets a year $ 700 - $ 800 with 30+ track days per year. The magic mojo pads might make that only 3 sets of pads.

Pads are so specific to track and driver but Orbits's testing went impressive at mostly Sebring and PBIR the 2 worst brake killer track I know.

The best try out for us would be to put on a set and so say 10+ straight track days at Sebring. I do this every year in Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb. I've done this 3 years in a row on pagid R29.

I just did 1 day of Sebring on PFC08 and they felt fine, but 1 day does not count, they all feel fine.
2 days Autobahn
2 days Road Americ1
3 days Mid Ohio
2 days Watkins Glen

All before middle of July, so I will know more, but tough reference because I do not know how hard those tracks are on brakes...

Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Hehe....

2 days Autobahn
2 days Road Americ1
3 days Mid Ohio
2 days Watkins Glen

You are my hero. So will you have 40 track days by year end??
Old 06-10-2011, 01:42 AM
TRD0524
Advanced

Hehe....

2 days Autobahn
2 days Road Americ1
3 days Mid Ohio
2 days Watkins Glen

Here is what I know so far:

Road America and Mid Ohio definitely can take advantage of a higher friction sprint pad because they are medium to hard braking tracks. Road America being the one with the higher brake pressures.

Mosport is a fast track, not hard on brakes much at all.

Glen is definitely harder on brakes. Gets the temperatures up.

Seems like you definitely do hit the track!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Hehe....

2 days Autobahn
2 days Road Americ1
3 days Mid Ohio
2 days Watkins Glen

I will have 40, easily
Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 PM
jenk12m
Banned

You guys are animals
Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The car will have 50 or so by years' end, 60+ for it's 2nd birthday :-)

Here is what I know so far:

Road America and Mid Ohio definitely can take advantage of a higher friction sprint pad because they are medium to hard braking tracks. Road America being the one with the higher brake pressures.

Mosport is a fast track, not hard on brakes much at all.
Glen is definitely harder on brakes. Gets the temperatures up.
Thanks, are any of them as hard on brakes as Sebring? Anyone have any info on Autobahn?

You guys are animals
lemmings??
Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 PM
TRD0524
Advanced

Sebring is definitely in a league of it's own. The closest that would come remotely close is the Glen IMO.

Quick Reply: looking to try some Endless pads - sources, prices?