Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pilot Super Sports 305/30/19 facts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pilot Super Sports 305/30/19 facts...

Just getting them mounted now.
Asked the mechanic for a tape measure.
The 305/30/19 is a wide tire.

The Section width before mounting is 325mm. So, my suggestion is that this tire looks good for you 325 guys.

I'm mounting 245/35/19s on the front - section width is 250, tread width is 245 so again a good fit for you 2010RS guys.

It is going to be a few weeks before I can get them to Mosport to tell you the grip level.

If this tire has anywhere near the grip of the OE Cups+, then I would think that this tire would 100% replace that tire for anyone wanting a combo tire as the rain channels definitely make this a drive to the track tire.

Let's hope the 2010 technology is good.
I'll post results later about the short drive home if anything is notable.

Last edited by 997gt3north; 06-03-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

They're going on my wife's car next and on mine whenever I need tires.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be waiting for your reviews
Old 06-03-2011, 04:13 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

what is treadwear rating?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I just put a set on before Elkhardt Lake. The first couple of runs they seemed to get pretty squirelly by the end of the session, but I don't think I bled them down enough before my first session and I think my LSD is fried. By the end of the weekend, they felt pretty consistent through the run session, but I kept thinking they would go away by the end of the session, so I think I babied the tires the last 10 mins of the session. The tread clearly looked much better at the end of the weekend than the PSC last Memorial Day weekend at Elkhardt Lake.

They clearly didn't have the grip of the PSCs. The lower grip forces me to be smoother, which is what I need to work on regardless. I noticed I got into the ABS pretty regularly, and I almost never got into the ABS with the PSC. I've only got about 20 track days, so I don't have enough seat time to be worth listening to on the differences, but if they last for enough extra track days, I'm willing to give up a little extra grip for extra durability, at least for now while I'm still learning.

When I bought the RS, I convinced the wife it was cheaper than a mistress, so I need to keep my word and keep the annual track budget below that of the annual run-rate for a mistress (which puts the LSD fix into the winter).

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I noticed at the end of the session, the right side tires had warmed to 3 or 4 PSI higher than the left side and did so consistently every session. Granted, all the high speed corners at Road America are right-handers, but I didn't notice that last year on the PSCs. Not sure what that means if anything, but thought I would point that out.

Last edited by Asquared; 06-03-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Just getting them mounted now.
Asked the mechanic for a tape measure.
The 305/30/19 is a wide tire.

The Section width before mounting is 325. So, my suggestion is that this tire looks good for you 325 guys.

I'm mounting 245/35/19s on the front - section width is 250, tread width is 245 so again a good fit for you 2010RS guys.

It is going to be a few weeks before I can get them to Mosport to tell you the grip level.

If this tire has anywhere near the grip of the OE Cups+, then I would think that this tire would 100% replace that tire for anyone wanting a combo tire as the rain channels definitely make this a drive to the track tire.

Let's hope the 2010 technology is good.
I'll post results later about the short drive home if anything is notable.
I spoke with the Michelin brand and production managers at the west coast launch event down in Fontana, Ca last week regarding the availablillity of
the 325/19.

Production is "scheduled" for this fitment, but not for some months yet; no firm (public) date for release. They said they would look into the possibility of accelerating this.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Asquared
I just put a set on before Elkhardt Lake. The first couple of runs they seemed to get pretty squirelly by the end of the session, but I don't think I bled them down enough before my first session and I think my LSD is fried. By the end of the weekend, they felt pretty consistent through the run session, but I kept thinking they would go away by the end of the session, so I think I babied the tires the last 10 mins of the session. The tread clearly looked much better at the end of the weekend than the PSC last Memorial Day weekend at Elkhardt Lake.

They clearly didn't have the grip of the PSCs. The lower grip forces me to be smoother, which is what I need to work on regardless. I noticed I got into the ABS pretty regularly, and I almost never got into the ABS with the PSC. I've only got about 20 track days, so I don't have enough seat time to be worth listening to on the differences, but if they last for enough extra track days, I'm willing to give up a little extra grip for extra durability, at least for now while I'm still learning.

When I bought the RS, I convinced the wife it was cheaper than a mistress, so I need to keep my word and keep the annual track budget below that of the annual run-rate for a mistress (which puts the LSD fix into the winter).
its amazing how durable the compound is; at the west coast launch event last week we put the tire thru and auto-x and track events, the wear, or lack of it is quite remarkable in contrast to the competitor tires. The new carbon black compound on the edges as well as the twaron belt and heat mgmt really
seem to make a noticable difference...
Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
It is 300 which basically almost seems unbelievable if the tire is anywhere close to the 19" OE Cups in terms of lap times / speeds. I wouldn't be trying this tire if all the One Lap guys didn't run it and report positive feedback. This is not a slick or a true R Compound clearly - what I'm hoping is that it is 95% of the OE 19" Cup+ tire but lasts 2x as long and can be a to and from the track tire as well as a rain tire and spring / fall tire - a lot to ask but someone has to try it. If it works, then basically a set of R6s and this tire will make a good combo.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
It is 300 which basically almost seems unbelievable if the tire is anywhere close to the 19" OE Cups in terms of lap times / speeds. I wouldn't be trying this tire if all the One Lap guys didn't run it and report positive feedback. This not a slick or a true R Compound clearly - what I'm hoping is that it is 95% of the OE 19" Cup+ tire but lasts 2x as long and can be a to and from the track tire as well as a rain tire and spring / fall tire - a lot to ask but someone has to try it. If it works, then basically a set of R6s and this tire will make a good combo.
The Michelin folks claim that the SS is definitely a better "all rounder" than the MPSC+ which they stated was "difficult to extract the best from"...

certainly the "standing water" performance of the SS is orders of magnitude better than SC+, wear rating is clearly better also. Additionally I think the
new shoulder compound and heat management might also offer on-track
benefits over the SC+. Ultimately I anticipate that the SC+ will perform marginally better than the SS on dry track with a lot of fast corners that
demand maximum lateral grip throughout the corner.

having said that, when I drove the tire on track in Dubai it was very impressive indeed on a hot dry fast track ... so I think the difference will be "marginal" at best.

It will be interesting to see how your laps compare on the same track with the SS and SC+ times!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:10 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
300, which is amazing.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Asquared
One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I noticed at the end of the session, the right side tires had warmed to 3 or 4 PSI higher than the left side and did so consistently every session. Granted, all the high speed corners at Road America are right-handers, but I didn't notice that last year on the PSCs. Not sure what that means if anything, but thought I would point that out.
'Probably' makes sense for a few reasons.
1) with only 20 track days, you are probably getting better each time you go out - still at a significant enough rate that when you see a track again and get in a grove your confidence will be high, your comfort level with the car will be higher than it was and you will slowly be moving out on that slip angle = more friction = higher psi range from cold to hot on the outer wheel
2) if the tire has more tread depth, the tread blocks will have more roll and you will likely be sliding the tire more - as you said they felt slippery when you first got them
3) some tires come with too much sealant that leeches out during the first few runs and the tire feels like it is on ice and slides around - this tire may have that - the OE tires IMO do not suffer front this
Old 06-04-2011, 01:26 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i tried super sports for first time on the nurburgring (half track wet, half dry) with just over 500 miles on them. I'm happy to report, they work very well in both conditions! yes, slower than PSC's on dry but you are not sweating bullets in rain and actually keep up a very decent speed. i like these way more than PS2 in rain. I really wish they made 325's in 19 and 335's in 18's too!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:11 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Keeping an eye on this Paul... And 300 tread wear rating would really make things a lot better for folks. Especially certain people that only get 2600 miles from a set
Old 06-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
i tried super sports for first time on the nurburgring (half track wet, half dry) with just over 500 miles on them. I'm happy to report, they work very well in both conditions! yes, slower than PSC's on dry but you are not sweating bullets in rain and actually keep up a very decent speed. i like these way more than PS2 in rain. I really wish they made 325's in 19 and 335's in 18's too!
don't worry jim you will have 325's 19s "soon" ...

see you in a couple of weeks!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I wonder how the Michelin Super Sports would stack up as a track tire against Toyo R888's. I'd have to run stock 19" sizes with the Michelin Super Sports thought.

For a guy like me who drive to and from the track I need tread for the rain either to or from the track or at the track.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports 305/30/19 facts...